Voices and working

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Man it can be difficult! It is like walking a tightrope... I don’t dare talk about my mental health in the workplace for fear I would be judged negatively. Depression and anxiety is widely spoken about in the office, but not schizophrenia.
I’m frightened I’m becoming unwell again as there are voices creeping into my earshot again. Added to this is the constant quivering mouth and ever present tremor and persistent twitch...all symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. I cannot tolerate benztropine as it renders me blind.
My mood has notably slumped. Please don’t let me fall back into psychosis! Every episode that happens, I lose a little of myself. It’s my greatest fear that eventually there’ll be not enough of me to put the pieces back together again.
Admittedly it’s my own fault... missing a pill here or there in order to be alert for work.
Stupid vanish!

Z

Zoe1

awww dont run yourself down hun !
calling yourself stupid, you would not do to another person !

is there a counsellor at your place of work that you can confide in
there should be, because I think new laws have been made about it

if not, the disability advisers at the job centre are quite good sometimes

you need to find someone to talk to about it
who is not going to judge you

and you wont lose all of you because you have us here !

:grouphug:

RKA1952

RKA1952

Man it can be difficult! It is like walking a tightrope... I don’t dare talk about my mental health in the workplace for fear I would be judged negatively. Depression and anxiety is widely spoken about in the office, but not schizophrenia.
I’m frightened I’m becoming unwell again as there are voices creeping into my earshot again. Added to this is the constant quivering mouth and ever present tremor and persistent twitch...all symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. I cannot tolerate benztropine as it renders me blind.
My mood has notably slumped. Please don’t let me fall back into psychosis! Every episode that happens, I lose a little of myself. It’s my greatest fear that eventually there’ll be not enough of me to put the pieces back together again.
Admittedly it’s my own fault... missing a pill here or there in order to be alert for work.
Stupid vanish!
I struggled like you for several years, reluctant to discuss my frightening and exhausting life full of hallucinations and paranoia. Finally, after a long time weighing my options, I realized my only choice was to leave the high pressure and mounting isolation in that work environment. Now, three years later, I am much happier, though still experiencing periods of psychosis with reduced frequency than before my exit from the unhealthy workplace. Hang in there, and make the necessary decisions that will lead to the peace and self-acceptance you deserve.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Don’t get me wrong, the workplace is super friendly but I just know from past experiences NEVER discuss schizophrenia at work... don’t even be caught reading about it. Depression, anxiety and even bipolar disorder are acceptable, but the big S word... unfortunately it’s still poo pooed in today’s society.
I see a psychologist every three to four weeks (she is extremely popular) and ever so slowly I’m learning to accept it is what it is...let me tell you it’s easier said than done!
My colleagues know I have mental health issues but not the nature of such and considering recent negative comments in the media following a pseudo act of terror by a very ill man living with the big S, I’m not likely to enlighten them anytime soon.
The shitty committee meanwhile is very loud in my ears!

Warrior

Warrior

:hi: @vanish I was working when hearing voices on machinery which was dangerous for a start, talking about certain illnesses are ok and some people will accept but with Schizophrenia it's like a dreaded word and I found out the hard way and mentioned it and friends started drifting, then I got to the stage of telling the gaffer over me to get the machine next to me shut down as my head was only registering with the banging coming from that not my own.

I was took home and was off for over a month while a psychiatrist looked at me further and said I had paranoid schizophrenia, went back to work only there 2 days and my head kicked off and that was my job gone after 6mths keeping it open for me.

Try and keep to your meds but don't go down the line of openly telling anyone, I know it sounds well but in todays society and how it's been made public, it's frowned on :hug5:

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
I’ve refused to admit to anyone other than my wife that I’m having pretty bad hallucinations. One of my voices is telling me to “die a martyr”.
I’ve decided after placement, I’m going to go into respite. I think I’ll need it by then.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I don’t blame you vanish for not telling them,only a very few know I’m schitzoaffective. I tell people I have social anxiety and depression (which I do) and can use at times when my behaviour may be a bit odd. But anything schitzo and they think your an axe wielding mad man. It’s all down to ignorance and bad press.
You can work with this illness as long as you take care for yourself, take your meds and get plenty of rest. And try not to take on too much at work. If you think it’s getting too much talk to your MH team

L

linus

This just happened last night and this is how it got covered in the news:
Google Translate

The translation is pretty ok, but instead of ethical withdrawal it is about alcohol abuse.

L

linus

It is supposed to be "ethyl" from alcohol. So he was coming off from some bad drinking period..

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
We recently had a very ill man run through Sydney cbd streets with armed after he murdered someone. Of course, the media was all over the fact the man was well known to mh services.

Such portrayal of illnesses like schizophrenia are so grim by the media that it’s literally cost me my own family.