• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

voices and the ability to sleep

O

OraTor

Hi all,

I am a relative of a voice hearer. The voices appeared 7 years ago in a psychotic decompensation, since then rather long terms without voices appeared. The voice hearer continued all the time working in a competitive environment. It seems that working is normally a good thing, the voices may appear at work and do appear at work but it's easier to control them at work than at rest. Last year the voices disappeared completely for a quarter of a year, but returned again with new tactics. They can now also operate softly, do intrude the dreams, try to change words or to bias thoughts and it's harder to realize this as voices work. But well, the voice hearer can handle even this and reveals such bad actions as voices work. On the other hand it costs much energy and it becomes harder and harder to fall asleep: as soon as self-control drifts away (what is actually the meaning of sleep), the voices intrude and startle the person hoping to sleep up. This is bad because under good sleep the voices are much less mighty and the voice hearer has much more energy, feels itself tremendously better.

After this short introduction my question: Are there any experiences how to sleep (without strong medication) despite voices activity? Are there thoughts or mental or physical procedures to fall asleep without giving too much playground to the voices? What do you do to fall asleep?

parker

parker

After this short introduction my question: Are there any experiences how to sleep (without strong medication) despite voices activity? Are there thoughts or mental or physical procedures to fall asleep without giving too much playground to the voices? What do you do to fall asleep?
I got use to listening to headphones while I sleep, they’ve got really good ones now that fit comfortably.:) I’ve experimented a lot with this, because with the proper sleep you can fight just about anything.

N

Nagarjuna28

Hello - i pray and say mantra's to help let go of my will and control of the waking world. Positive music also helps :)

Hi all,

I am a relative of a voice hearer. The voices appeared 7 years ago in a psychotic decompensation, since then rather long terms without voices appeared. The voice hearer continued all the time working in a competitive environment. It seems that working is normally a good thing, the voices may appear at work and do appear at work but it's easier to control them at work than at rest. Last year the voices disappeared completely for a quarter of a year, but returned again with new tactics. They can now also operate softly, do intrude the dreams, try to change words or to bias thoughts and it's harder to realize this as voices work. But well, the voice hearer can handle even this and reveals such bad actions as voices work. On the other hand it costs much energy and it becomes harder and harder to fall asleep: as soon as self-control drifts away (what is actually the meaning of sleep), the voices intrude and startle the person hoping to sleep up. This is bad because under good sleep the voices are much less mighty and the voice hearer has much more energy, feels itself tremendously better.

F

faery

At first this was really hard for me, I tried lots of things, I would read, when it was at its worst for me I read the bible. Sometimes I would leave the TV or radio on for background noise. I try and meditate now which isn't always easy to do. I am learning to get beyond the voices to a quiet place. They are there if my attention is put on them. It has taken along time to get where I am now, and I still have trouble during the time inbetween being awake and actually falling asleep, I have spent many a night praying. I learned also that I am a voice, also, and would sing to myself inside with my mind. I have been hearing voices continually for 3 years or more. I do not take medication. I realize the more self disciplined I become inside and out the healthier I feel.

S

SuperZ

1. Red wine is known to make one feel cozy, settled, warm, at peace, to rest.

2. Dress in heavy winter clothing, head to toe, may help.

3. USA Benedryl allergy med is also used in many over the counter sleep aids. The history of benedryl, it was the first antipsychotic and was used in the Vietnam War to calm the soldiers.

4. Prayer for sleep helps some to immediately faint, pass out.

5. Vitamins and minerals with whole living foods and exercise helps some to boot the voices, to stay well "grounded", at peace, relaxed, to recover and maintain equillibrium...

z

I

idonothearvoices

Hi, voices and ability to sleep.
What can work is rather than fighting and fighting the voices all day, makes an arrangement with your self, to set aside time for the voices to say what they need to say for a period of maybe up to an hour. This will give the voices time to vent their issues, and maybe they will not need to be as forceful at night to try and get their message across. If you think about the voices and what type of personality they are, a lot of them are very two dimensional and are very egotistical (negative ones any way) so all they need is to be heard. You need not take on board anything they are saying. Usually by allowing time to talk they will reduce in intensity at night.

T

terri

Hi, voices and ability to sleep.
What can work is rather than fighting and fighting the voices all day, makes an arrangement with your self, to set aside time for the voices to say what they need to say for a period of maybe up to an hour. This will give the voices time to vent their issues, and maybe they will not need to be as forceful at night to try and get their message across. If you think about the voices and what type of personality they are, a lot of them are very two dimensional and are very egotistical (negative ones any way) so all they need is to be heard. You need not take on board anything they are saying. Usually by allowing time to talk they will reduce in intensity at night.
Yo

O

OraTor

Hi all,

the voice hearer is very grateful to your answers.

It has taken along time to get where I am now, and I still have trouble during the time inbetween being awake and actually falling asleep, I have spent many a night praying. I learned also that I am a voice, also, and would sing to myself inside with my mind. I have been hearing voices continually for 3 years or more. I do not take medication. I realize the more self disciplined I become inside and out the healthier I feel.
The intermediate time or state of mind is very difficult. Some nights are okay, others are crushed. Sounds and musics are normally good. Negotiations with the voices or consultation hours for the voices or with the voices could still not be settled. The voices are nasty, aggressive, full of disrespect and "cultivate" a completely single sided line of argumentation against the voice hearer. They emerge like prosecutors in a totalitarian legal system, trying to put the voice hearer into a defenseless position.

Nevertheless the voice hearer plays pranks on them, because the voices are truly lunatic and their "knowledge" is so single sided. Everything which might cause fear or bad feelings is an advantage for them and so they try to turn as much things as possible into things threatening the voice hearer. This effort to misrepresent things and relations can be truly jolly and we laugh from time to time heartily about the newest misconstructions the voices come up with.

The voices know that the voice hearer realizes them and they know that we (the voice hearer and I) speak about them. They don't like that, trying to isolate the voice hearer. It's a continuous struggle with the voices; harder is it to cope with the softer effects like switching thoughts, biasing the subconsciousness, whispering from the top end of the vertebral column. These are the effects currently apparent if the voice hearer is going to fall asleep.

We do singing, playing the piano loudly, playing the CD recorder loudly, which is very good, but then you do not sleep either.

I

idonothearvoices

hi OraTor

I could not agree more about your take on the voices, they are powerless and can feel exposed when the voice hearer shares the nonsense ramblings of the voices with understanding others.

However we should not underestimate the effect a continuous barrage of negative talk will have on the person when they are physically alone or alone by virtue of the people around them not accepting the reality of a person’s suffering as a result of the voice hearing experience.

Only got the play on your name now very clever.