• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Voices and anxiety?

V

Varya

At the moment I am undergoing a lot of stress causing severe anxiety for me- to the point where I frequently have panic attacks (I visited my doctor not long ago who told me what I was experiencing were panic attacks) but recently I have been hearing a man's (I think) whistle which nobody else can hear, when it is extreme the whistle becomes louder (sometimes near shouting pitch)and from all directions which is incredibly distressing- especially in a room full of people who are perfectly fine.

I'm afraid this will happen in an exam or something because it is near impossible to concentrate or even stay in the room whilst hearing the voice. I'm just wondering whether anxiety/stress and hearing voices are linked? and if anybody else has experienced anything similar?:panic::panic:

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

When my anxiety gets higher, the voices get worse. I hear voices and have frequent attacks of anxiety. You aren't alone.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Yes, I hear voices and they deffo get worse when my anxiety is bad and or I'm stressed x
Have you been on the hearing voices forum on here? It has some useful info stuck at the top. My biggest godsend is headphones - might be tricky at work but wonderful at home or out in the town x

E

Eigau

Yes, when pressure is on or stress is up, the voices I hear may not get louder but they multiply. This can cause disorientation and drain concentration resources. I read recently that playing games that use the working memory system of the brain can be helpful - things like puzzles or sudoku. Of course during an exam you are not able to do this.

For me, loud voices represent issues that have been ignored a long time. So I must try to resolve those issues or learn to manage those issues.

In my opinion, it's as if the voices are like a group of people who take on the role of personifying an issue for you to help you see it from a different perspective. Though the process is quite often alarming at first.

To me, someone whistling is generally the way a person would try to get your attention.

Establishing communication with the man, and letting him know that you would like to discuss the matter when the exams are over would be an ideal goal. However, Establishing effective communication can be difficult.

Things to try:

The first way, is try talking to him in a respectful manner. Think the words rather than saying them out loud (I find it more effective)

If that is successful you may be able to ask if you can talk to him after the exams. Try not to sound demanding.

Second way, Try whistling in your mind. Think of yourself whistling a tune.

If you are successful at that, you may get his attention. He may be a tonal voice (A voice that just makes sounds rather than speech)which means it can be hard if you are not musically minded. But one thing you may be able to do is repeat his whistle back to him simply by trying to remember it.

These are techniques I have used successfully to interact with the voices and perhaps maybe of help to you. Take care. Te