• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

voices>always derogatry

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
my voices are always saying horrible things about me i want to change it how good would it be to have voices saying nice things!:scared: anyone actually get that? i beat myself up too and its made me really ill lately why am i so hard on myself id never treat anyone else likethat?:confused: comments welcome

A

Apotheosis

my voices are always saying horrible things about me i want to change it how good would it be to have voices saying nice things!:scared: anyone actually get that? i beat myself up too and its made me really ill lately why am i so hard on myself id never treat anyone else likethat?:confused: comments welcome
Yes, it is well documented that a significant amount of people hear voices, & a significant amount of them hear benign or good voices. I will search for some info & links if you are interested, but it is getting late tonight to do so.

A significant amount of 'voice hearers' are not disturbed by the voices - & thus never seek help/treatment in relation to them.

This raises an interesting point & question - in that is mental illness necessarily symptoms, or more rather whether such things cause distress, or no distress, & in fact pleasure?

A good example of that is positive drug experiences - which people largely do not want to hear about.

I heard an angelic voice speak with me one time. I have also heard people I know say stuff - but voice hearing is not my thing. I have seen things more than heard them. Again, some of the things I have seen have been more disturbing - & other things have not.

I think that the importance is our relationships to such things, & I think that we can adapt & alter such relationships; through a variety of techniques. I have heard of the method of a practitioner; directly talking with the voices of a voice hearer, with the voice hearer articulating what the voices are saying. One idea goes that there is a reason & a purpose - a meaning for the voices. That by exploring these things; there is a potential to find psychological healing & resolution to such experiences; or to make such experiences less distressing; & easier to cope with.

Rufus May is one person who employs such techniques -

http://rufusmay.com/

The Voice hearing network also employs a therapeutic perspective in acknowledging, talking about, & exploring the experiences of voice hearing; to attempt to find a psychological resolution to such things -

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/

In my own experiences of psychosis. What I have found of most benefit; is to explore the content of the psychotic states; & to work through such experiences; by talking openly in an environment of trust with understanding people that acknowledge the content of the experiences, & listen without judgement. I have met people who helped me to get a perspective, or to build a kind of map of meaning into the experiences of altered states. This has been an ongoing journey & process. Recovery is never ending I think. I have also found on-line interactions helpful - to express certain ideas, share certain things, & to discus & run stuff by others.

Acceptance of these states; has been critical & central to finding & sustaining a recovery to these psychotic states. I do try to be good to myself - & this is an ongoing journey, & learning curve. It is very individual I think. I try not to pressure myself too much, I try to take things easy, to relax, to do things that nurture & look after myself. It can be simple stuff - having a warm bath, going for a walk around nature, listening to relaxing music, having a massage, eating good food, etc etc etc.

I have found forms of meditation & mindfulness to be very helpful as well. Their effect is cumulative - the more I have practised the more benefit I have got. I do have more peace of mind, & more moments of peace. It is easy to get hopeless about a MH condition - that is very understandable - & I go through my off days & moments. But I think that there is good reason to have hope that recovery is possible.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi

hi there yes i personaly believe that mental illnes are sypmtoms (such as hearing voices delusions) for scitzophrenia that cause distress to the patient sypmtoms that taunt the patient. yes i think if you heard voices that said your the best human being alive you really are the dogs rollocks you just wouldnt need support pills whatever. i also believe that mental health is genetic and life circumstances as my grandfather had the same illness as me and he was paranoid about the same things! which is quite strange. thats for your post the links would be cool thanks for message diddy

A

Apotheosis

http://rufusmay.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=33

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/2007/6/10/different-perspectives-by-people-who-hear-voices

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/can-hearing-voices-in-your-head-be-a-good-thing-11488.html

- "Can hearing voices in your head be a good thing?

Psychologists have launched a study to find out why some people who hear voices in their head consider it a positive experience while others find it distressing.

The University of Manchester investigation – announced on World Hearing Voices Day (Thursday, 14th September) – comes after Dutch researchers found that many healthy members of the population there regularly hear voices.

Although hearing voices has traditionally been viewed as 'abnormal' and a symptom of mental illness, the Dutch findings suggest it is more widespread than previously thought, estimating that about 4% of the population could be affected.

Researcher Aylish Campbell said: "We know that many members of the general population hear voices but have never felt the need to access mental health services; some experts even claim that more people hear voices and don't seek psychiatric help than those who do.

"In fact, many of those affected describe their voices as being a positive influence in their lives, comforting or inspiring them as they go about their daily business. We're now keen to investigate why some people respond in this way while others are distressed and seek outside help.""

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
In 2002, during my 3rd episode, the voices changed from insulting and criticising to praising and supportive. They also had an Angelic sound to them and they were female ( which is strange as people mostly report male sounding voices ). When the doc found out about this my meds were increased again and again, but they wouldn't go. They decided to put me on a mood stabilizer to bring me down as I was "too high" in mood - well, hearing this beautiful female voice telling you how good you are, providing support by telling you that everything is going to be all right etc you would be in a good mood !

But, but and but - once the mood stabilizer took effect, that lovely voice went away and the bloody nasty ones started up again. So, my mood did come down, in fact it went really low so then I was worse off than before and angry all the time. Even when they took me off the mood stabilizer, the voices stayed the same although my mood was better than it was. I went in to that unit feeling good and not minding what I was hearing and came out feeling crap and sick of what I was hearing :mad:.

You could say that I was not too happy about that, but I understand that they were just trying to help.

Lastly, my brother hears voices sometimes when he's at work and telling them to f-off ( in his mind of course :LOL: ) works for him. I tried that, but all it did was make me angry and give me a headache instead. My brother hasn't mentioned that to his doctor as he thinks it's just his imagination playing tricks on him.

A

Apotheosis

In 2002, during my 3rd episode, the voices changed from insulting and criticising to praising and supportive. They also had an Angelic sound to them and they were female ( which is strange as people mostly report male sounding voices ).
I heard an Angelic voice one time. Who's to say these aren't angels speaking with us?

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi bluemoon i think you should go to that doctors office and say your too happy and give him something to make him miserable i mean thats ridiculous.
thanks for the reply diddy:D

A

Apotheosis

hi bluemoon i think you should go to that doctors office and say your too happy and give him something to make him miserable i mean thats ridiculous.
I think Doctors & psychiatrists should be given courses of Antipsychotics & Antidepressants. At least then they would know some of the effects of what they are giving to their patients. Maybe a 3 months stay as an in-patient in a psychiatric hospital should be mandatory as well. Doctors sometimes go mad - it happens - & boy do they then see what it's really like.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jun/11/mental.health

wolf

wolf

Voices...

I experience audio hallucinations as well,
but my voices do not sound like their in my head,
but on the outside like a real voice.

They are always saying bad things about me as well,
I just try being funny to rid myself of their influence.

I say things like this back to them:
"why dont you just pull my arms off?"
"go and take some killer drugs!"
etc..etc..

Hope things work out for you.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
RE: diddypinks

I was thinking of making a complaint about it at the time and my Dad wasn't too happy about it either. In their minds they felt they had to bring me down some because they had never seen me so happy before. The doctor had only known me since I was unwell so she has never seen the happy and bubbly person I used to be. The doctor did bring along my CPN, to make sure, as my CPN had some idea of what I was like when I was well and she agreed with her. Also, my foggy memory from that time is just reminding me that I was seeing things in my mind ( not hallucinations ) and that I was laughing to myself sometimes. They were concerned about that one as well.

RE: Apotheosis

It's possible that they were Angels, I was certainly believing that at the time. My doctor was a Christian and agreed that, although how pleasant it was for me to hear such things, the voice wasn't really an angel and they had to stop it. Someone else, on the web, said that they don't communicate in that way but then I've read things on other websites about both children and adults who have heard similar things and they aren't treated for it.

From time to time I still get surprised when I'm watching TV or on my PC and I'll be thinking about something, then I will suddenly hear a distinctive female voice giving her opinion then it goes away and I don't hear it again for a long while. Maybe she's being careful this time :LOL:.

Lastly, I had a fantasy once about getting myself qualified to become a psychiatrist and then one of my new patients ends up being one of my previous doctors that was unreasonable with me one time ( a different doc ). Basically treating him the same way and feeling good knowing that he now knows exactly what it feels like :p.

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
when i hear things particularly what i would describe as thoughts that aren't mine (i get them a lot but the auditory hallucinations quite rarely) they are negative, violent and aggressive but more often directed at other people even in a somewhat protective manner but in a twisted way, for example if someone really upsets me i'll get lots of progressively more insistent suggestions that i should hurt or even kill them :( i often end up arguing with myself over stuff like that, it can be negative towards me or people i like aswell though

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
re bluemoon. laughing to yourself hardly a crime is it? if it was me and i got delieriosly (wish i could spell that lol happy) i would like to stay that way as long as possible i think they take things too far. any little thing like laughing to yourself theyre analysing you and being extra vigilent if a normie laughed to themselves youd just think they found something funny.