• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

voice telling me to do something

G

gmh

ok here's my story, kind of long....when i was younger between the ages of 14 and 16 i self harmed and tried to kill myself on a few occassions. looking back perhaps it was a call for help or attention i dont know. i thought i was over it but lately, i would say the last year ive had this nagging voice i my head, i say a voice but i couldnt describe its accent or anything ebcause its more like a constant nagging thought telling me to kill myself. i am resisting it and constantly fighting with it telling it to shut up but it wont stop. i know i would never ever listen to the voice, im stronger than that but the fact somethings telling me to do such a thing is horrid. like somethings injected poison and evil into my braina nd wont shut up. i also have these mad thoughts that my friends are plotting against me, ive lost so many friends through it but its not constant, i have these moments of clarity like right noe where i realise i was silly. the past 3 days have been tough on me, the worst its ever been but think things are on the up for a while. could anybody advise me on what to do or what they think im experiencing? thank you

M

Meshuggah

According to modern psychiatry hearing voices is usually seen as a symptom of psychosis or schizophrenia, though it can sometimes occur from other things like bipolar disorder and severe depression.

There is other research though that suggests that hearing voices is a reaction to certain life experiences. Some research, for instance, suggests that a lot of people who hear voices have gone through some sort of trauma in their lives, but it could also occur for other reasons.

I saw a talk by Rufus May on Friday. He's a psychologist who recovered from schizophrenia and he was talking about ways that people can have a better relationship with their voices so they aren't as negative.

This is a link to the Intervoice page about understanding and coping with hearing voices.

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/2007/5/22/understanding-and-coping-with-hearing-voices

G

gmh

thanks so much for your reply, im just at a loss, dont know what to do but luckily for me todays been a good day, not had any bad thoughts. so using it as a day to decide what to do next, if anything

G

gmh

this hearing voices part of the site seems very quiet. i guess most people who hear voices have already been diagnosed with whatever they have so can go to the relevant place. dont even know who im writing this to lol

M

mad as a hatter

it,s not 2 easy i struggle with voices they want me 2 harm my family i find that hard 2 talk about i,m having 2 tk meds for it now where as before they always went away but not ne more it,s so distressing for me and i feel so irritable that i want 2 do a runner from it all it,s hell at times i,m finding them hard 2 cope with just now nobody round about my understands what i,m goin through i don,t wish 2 be alive somedays

C

confused-123

My brother heard voices too and he was diagnosed with sitzophrenia, he said it was normally some kind of command example: His head would be hurting and he would hear a voice telling him that if he put away his clothes his head would feel better, he did and his head ache went away. From what I've read and stuff voices are symptoms of sitzophrenia or phsycosis (sp?) I think with the latter though you feel very illusioned like feeling more important or that you are on some secret mission for the government things like that. I'd get to a doc asap and ask to be referred it's a very serious issue. Hope you're okay soon xx

C

confused-123

it,s not 2 easy i struggle with voices they want me 2 harm my family i find that hard 2 talk about i,m having 2 tk meds for it now where as before they always went away but not ne more it,s so distressing for me and i feel so irritable that i want 2 do a runner from it all it,s hell at times i,m finding them hard 2 cope with just now nobody round about my understands what i,m goin through i don,t wish 2 be alive somedays
Please go back to your doc and say the meds aren't working you shouldn't have to suffer this

M

mad as a hatter

the chmt don,t care i,ve not even got a pdoc ne more he will only c me when my cpn asks which is not goin be that often i don,t think they believe i,ve got voices ne way so i,m stuck all alone with things got no choice i,ve had bipolor 9 yrs now

C

confused-123

the chmt don,t care i,ve not even got a pdoc ne more he will only c me when my cpn asks which is not goin be that often i don,t think they believe i,ve got voices ne way so i,m stuck all alone with things got no choice i,ve had bipolor 9 yrs now
I would ask for a new cpn and you don't have a doctor???

G

gmh

pdoc, not a regular GP. i hear what your saying mad as a hatter. its really sh*t isnt it. here anytime you want a chat, remember that :)

M

mad as a hatter

my cpn is really good i can,t complain about her was having a terrible time went 2 c my pdoc cause the mood i was in i walked out on her told her i didn,t need her ne more mu fault i suppose i got discharged from her clinic i never expected her 2 tk things that far she,s known me for yrs i was having bad mood swings now after waitin for 3 months 2 c my consultant he and my old pdoc have turned round and said no i can,t go bk just now i,ve basically got 2 abide by there rules and i can,t do ne thing about they,ve won i,ve not got the fight in me ne more i,m not perfect i maybe done wrong that day 2 get treated like this is well out order 2 be honest my old pdoc wasn,t convinced i had voices ne way so it was a losing battle with them ne way :(

M

mad as a hatter

i,m sure they will believe u don,t let me put u off gettin the help for it i,m just feeling a bit down about pdoc,s at the moment that,s all

M

mad as a hatter

i don,t want 2 tk over ur thread but when i got up this mornin i just knew it was goin be 1 them days with the voices and no amount of meds can tk that away it,s pointless even tryin suppose it be worse without ne meds but i can,t stand the loudness off them not that there saying ne thing much it,s just there all chattering at once can,t mk out what there saying really but why do they feel encouraging wanting me 2 kill myself and i,m very tempted by what there wanting me 2 do i can,t tk much more this ne more life sucks :(