• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Voice or thought? V.confused!

W

whatstheproblem?

If I listen to myself, I can be logical and tell myself that I'm safe etc, but there's something louder and stronger that tells me to stop lying to myself, tells me that I am going to put myself in danger if I don't listen to it... *Is this 'a voice' or just stronger though? It's in my head but is like someone thinking over the top of my thoughts and often opposing them. * It tells my partner hates me, of course she hates you, why wouldn't she? Tells me other people hate me and want to hurt me, are going to follow me home, are going to kill me in my sleep. When you least expect it, when you start to think everything is alright, that's when they'll get you. So I have to hold onto my anxiety, I have to *listen. Because the day I get 'better' is the day I am leaving myself wide open and will die.
Is this just abnormal thought, or a voice? Does it even matter... :-S

D

drew_71

I've had this for quite some time now, several years (I'm now 21) recently I've started hearing singing, repeating single lines from songs over and over getting faster, I've also started to hear low murmuring, or the babble of a few voices talking really quietly when I'm trying to go to sleep.

T

ThunderBolt

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this as well...

I've had - or done - this for as long as I remember. I claim IB I'm sorry to say and whenever I fill in any forms I always say my mental state is 101% solid as a rock. Not so much out of shame but more to do with the fact I don't feel comfortable talking about it. Not with family. Not with strangers.

Hope you get sorted Whatsthe prob!

W

whatstheproblem?

tHanks for replying you two :). You both say you have experienced/do experience this too - have either of you spoken to your dr or other proffessional about it? If so what did they say? Not sure if I should mention it or not... :-S

D

drew_71

I want to mention it, as I feel as though the thoughts are getting harder to control, and also that it is less of my influence over them. They've also started manifesting as urges to break things or attack people in the street, which so far I've been able to resist, although when I'm at home I have found I've been punching walls and floors to deal with it. Also when I last went to the psychiatrist, about depression and anxiety initially I wanted to say something about it but couldn't, and when I left my thoughts were telling me that it was good that I hadn't said anything, but in a kind of patronising way :/

T

ThunderBolt

Personally I've never spoke to anyone about this. It's taken me all my time to speak to my GP about having panic attacks especially at night. As suc I'm great at dising out the advice but not so good at taking it. I would morethan seriously go and talk to someone though if you're feeling the way you do.

I'm not trying to compete with you but at my late 30's I'm living still with my mam and dad through health reasons and that gets to me. They are looking after me and it shoulf be the other way round now.

Talk to someone... I know it's easier said than done but if you can do it... Maybe I'll get off my ar... Bum and do the same.

All the best kiddo!

?

>.<

The voice vs thought question happens a lot with me. Although I have both so I guess it doesn't matter in my case lol.

The way to tell (well what I usually do anyway) is whos voice is it? Is it your own internal voice, or an internal or external voice you don't recognise? Is it the same gender as you? Does it tell you who it is? all questions like that and it makes it easier to work it out. Although it doesn't really matter, because whatever it is, it's causing anxiety and stress, so it needs to get sorted.

Hope this helped :)

W

whatstheproblem?

Thanks for replys..

Just finished work - yawn! The best I can describe it is like there is a dialogue of two conflicting arguements in my head... On the one hand is what I have always known as my thought, and the other is like this but speaks to me as though I am a different person from it (i.e says 'you....' not 'i...'). hmmm, I don't know. To be honest right now I'm not experiencing it and therefor don't even care... But I know when I'm home, in the quiet, in bed- I will. Thank you for taking time to reply, I am at the drs on Tuesday ( at drs request (!) so will see what happens then. The thing is, the conflicting thought tells me I am putting myself in danger in going and that I shouldn't speak to
anyone blablablaaaa. I will really have to fight this in order to just go
to the appointment... so we'll see. Goodnight :)

?

>.<

To me, it sounds like an internal auditory hallucination, because I used to have voices very similar to that. Just tell the doctors, I know they'll say not to, but if you tell them they can help. A coping strategy my psychologist gave me is to write down what the voices say and write about the characters...he said that it might not be that I'm psychotic and I might just have a good imagination and be a good writer. You should try it, I tend to find once you write about them they go away a bit and decrease in the negativity of what they say.

Good luck at the drs :flowers:

R

riverofdragons

I have had a running commentry for as long as I can remember, and have wasted hours discussing in my head the ins and outs of every situation. Its been so normal to me that I have not questioned it as a symptom until very recently when the 'voice' (if thats what it is or thought) kept showing me images of my arms covered in blood. I spoke to my psychiatrist about paranoia and tried to verbalise what it is i am experiencing, badly i might add. she put me on an anti-psychotic and within about 4 days there was peace in my head that i had not experienced in living memory. It was amazing. Though im under a lot of stress right now and its all back, maybe i just need a bigger dose. I still dont know if what i experience is a voice or a thought...i too am interested in others ideas/stories/experiences...