• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Voice Hearing Often Linked to Violence in News Media

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Voice Hearing Often Linked to Violence in News Media - Mad In America

When discussing voice hearing, news media most often link the phenomenon to "criminal behavior, violence, and suicidality," according to a study in the International Journal of Social Psychiatry. "The majority of articles examined contained no suggestion that [auditory verbal hallucinations] are possible in psychologically healthy individuals," concluded author and Felician College psychologist Ruvanee Vilhauer.

"The results were sobering," stated a Psychology Today post about the study when it was first published early online last year. "84% of the articles contained no suggestion that voice-hearing can be 'normal'... Most of the articles (81.8%) connected voice-hearing to mental illness. In some cases, auditory verbal hallucinations were simply equated with insanity. Some articles linked voice-hearing to a tragic lack of control... Another common assumption was that hallucinations are frightening..."

Vilhauer, Ruvanee P. “Depictions of Auditory Verbal Hallucinations in News Media.” International Journal of Social Psychiatry 61, no. 1 (February 1, 2015): 58–63. doi:10.1177/0020764014535757.

Depictions of auditory verbal hallucinations in news media

https://www.academia.edu/7187184/Depictions_of_auditory_verbal_hallucinations_in_news_media

Kerome

Kerome

Sad to see that so many people are so ill informed. There is a bit of a push to bring mental health issues more to the fore, but they obviously still have a long way to go.

In light of this I'd love to see a Horizon programme on hearing voices, with collaboration from the Hearing Voices Network, who probably have the widest range of voice hearers on their books, both those suffering from recognised mental health issues and those who don't but just occasionally hear a voice.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Beeboy I’m hearing a voice in my head that is commenting on what i do. Hearing Voices Forum 6
T Positive testimony on voice hearing Hearing Voices Forum 10
S at odds am i hearing voices of my own or am i hearing someone else voice i cant control ? Hearing Voices Forum 4
S Voice hearing- yourself at different ages? Hearing Voices Forum 3
S My voice hearing Hearing Voices Forum 2
B Voice hearing Hearing Voices Forum 2
A Non psychotic voice hearing. Hearing Voices Forum 11
S A course in hearing voice. Hearing Voices Forum 2
G hearing the voice of an exboyfriend for 9 years Hearing Voices Forum 6
L Hearing voice/loseing my mind Hearing Voices Forum 4
U hearing voices in your own voice Hearing Voices Forum 5
E Voice Hearing Meal Plans Hearing Voices Forum 12
N Hearing Voices - To Follow or To Ignore Voice Instructions? Hearing Voices Forum 2
S How long have you been experiencing voice hearing. Does medication stop them? Hearing Voices Forum 14
threebinds Voice hearing experiences. Hearing Voices Forum 6
E Coping Strategies for Voice Hearing Hearing Voices Forum 115
E Common themes and voice hearing Hearing Voices Forum 20
F Anxiety and Hearing a gentle voice for the first time. Hearing Voices Forum 31
C How did voice hearing begin for you? Hearing Voices Forum 7
S Voice Hearing Groups Hearing Voices Forum 4
S How do negative life events influence experiences of voice hearing and paranoia? Hearing Voices Forum 4
Bassman01 Do most people who hear voice here them in their Head or external to them like in the room they are in Hearing Voices Forum 10
N A Sudden, Heard Voice - very loud! Frightening. Hearing Voices Forum 3
Daybreak You guys ever thought about creating a new, positive voice? Hearing Voices Forum 65
E Does med take the voice away for you or just make it more manageable? Hearing Voices Forum 1
E Anyone hate when people ask like what is the voice saying at the moment? (inc professionals) Hearing Voices Forum 6
N Heard Voice - when very well, unheard of! Hearing Voices Forum 2
T advices from a 15-years long voice hearer Hearing Voices Forum 3
N A bit of blunder - heard voice - excruaiting headaches, sinuses Hearing Voices Forum 2
R Anyone here want to play League (NA)? Also believe in a spiritual cause for the voices (Discord voice) Hearing Voices Forum 8
A The voice is screaming Hearing Voices Forum 3
S Today i discovered i had a voice in my head Hearing Voices Forum 8
D What do you hear voice wise Hearing Voices Forum 28
LORD BURT Mental Harassment of Voice hearers is a Hate Crime Hearing Voices Forum 44
N Heard Voice Hearing Voices Forum 5
G two different kinds of my own voice Hearing Voices Forum 5
C abusive voice Hearing Voices Forum 5
hORIzonFINK210 Empathy voice exercise> Hearing Voices Forum 1
N A Sudden Heard (Americanised) Heard Voice - While Music Going!? Hearing Voices Forum 8
Funnyday Inner voice Hearing Voices Forum 6
O I heard voice and a scream Hearing Voices Forum 12
N Sudden Heard Voice - Note, dose taken very late on in waking hours. Hearing Voices Forum 16
N Heard Voice - Very Tired - Alerting waking Medication Hearing Voices Forum 7
vulch "Unknown" voice (Advice?) Hearing Voices Forum 4
N 25ml!!! - Very tired, Heard Voice???! Hearing Voices Forum 5
N Disturbed Sleep - Heard Voice! Hearing Voices Forum 6
P My thinking voice isn’t mine. Hearing Voices Forum 1
N A Heard Voice! Hearing Voices Forum 6
L what was everyone’s experiences of their first voice? Hearing Voices Forum 7
C Voice is driving me CRAZY! Hearing Voices Forum 12