• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

E

Eigau

I would like this thread to be a place to put meal ideas using foods that change brain chemistry for the better.

For example, if you research foods that fight stress and anxiety you may get:

Spinach, beans, barley, micro-greens, citrus fruits, walnuts, asparagus, avocados, berries, cashews, chamomile tea, dark chocolate, garlic, green tea, oatmeal, beef, turkey, chicken, fish and oysters.
For depression you may get:

Wheat bread, whole grains, citrus fruits, legumes, chick peas, various nuts, egg yolks, lite cheese, fish, mushrooms, dark leafy greens, beans, peas, berries and natural unsweetened yoghurt, cold pressed coconut oil, tomatoes, kiwifruit, brocoli, capsicums (Peppers), oats and plenty of water.
Voices often get more difficult with increased stress or depression, so having a simple meal plan ready for those occasions just may make the difference needed to take the edge off.

Take care, and thanks for adding your ideas, let's hope it grows into something beneficial :)

Last edited:
E

Eigau

Green Bean and Walnut Salad -

You will need -
1 part walnuts for every 2 parts beans
A little butter
Salt and Pepper

What to do -
Chop the Walnuts
Cook the Beans
Combine them in a bowl
Add a dollop of butter
Add salt and pepper to taste.

(For a bit of zing, make a lemon vinegrette and add to the salad and cashews are a fine alternative to walnuts)

Last edited:
E

Eigau

Black Bean Brownies -

You will need -
1 Can of Black Beans
1/2 cup of oats
1/2 cup of raw sugar or honey
3 T Coconut oil
3/4 Cup Cocoa
Pinch Salt
1 t vanilla essence
1 1/2 t Baking powder
1 Cup Walnuts

What to do -
Preheat oven 180C
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until mush.
Pour mixture into 20 x 20 cm greased pan
Cook 15 - 20 mins
Cool for 10 mins
Cut into portions and serve.

(If they look a little undercooked, leave them in the fridge over night)

Last edited:
E

Eigau

Yoghurt and Berries -

You will need -
Plain unsweetened yoghurt
Any kind of berry

What to do -
Combine and eat :)

E

Eigau

Mushroom Soup -

You will need -
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
1 chopped onion
1chopped clove of garlic
1 peeled and grated potato
A dollop of butter
A dollop of cottage cheese
1 t of chicken stock
½ cup of water
½ cup of milk
Salt and pepper

What to do –
Brown the mushrooms, onion and garlic with butter a pan.
Add the milk, water, potato and chicken stock.
Cook until potatoes are mush.
Add a dollop of cottage cheese.
Season with salt and pepper.

*Serve with toasted whole grain bread.

Last edited:
|||ME|||

|||ME|||

Not quite the focus of the thread but if people are looking at diet in relation to voices then the food choice that would have the most evidence behind it for being helpful for voices would be to go gluten free.

It's a clumsily titled thread but I put quite a lot of evidence in this thread.

Highlight is a case study of someone going gluten free and their anomalous experiences completely stopping (makes sense that in a very small number of cases this could happen if you look at Celiacs).

E

Eigau

Thanks ME. I have friends who have tried the gluten free diet, but who did not have an intolerance who experienced side effects. Some nutritionists here in NZ are even saying those who do not have an intolerance should not try it. They endorse a full dietary plan with foods that contain gluten. I'm happy for those who are gluten intolerant to put Gluten Free meals up though.

For those considering going gluten free here are 9 tips that may help you decide if it's for you:

1. Don't go gluten free just because it is gaining popularity. Most people are not gluten sensitive.

2. Look at the science available.

3. If you think you have celiac, please see your doctor first before going gluten free.

4. If you must go gluten free, expect others to not always understand and make it difficult for you.

5. It does not mean you must avoid all grains.

6. It does not mean you'll necessarily lose weight.

7. Many so-called gluten free foods are prepared on systems that also prepare foods containing gluten.

8. Seek the advice of a good nutritionist or dietitian.

9. Some skin problems may clear up on a Gluten Free diet.

C

Callalily

Thanks ME. I have friends who have tried the gluten free diet, but who did not have an intolerance who experienced side effects. Some nutritionists here in NZ are even saying those who do not have an intolerance should not try it. They endorse a full dietary plan with foods that contain gluten. I'm happy for those who are gluten intolerant to put Gluten Free meals up though.
I'm curious as to why they would say that (bold)?

I don't see that there could be any danger in removing something that we as a species survived for many years without.

The only argument (that makes any sense to me) I have heard for why people shouldn't go gluten free is because they would be lacking in vitamins and minerals that breakfast cereals and breads are often fortified with. If people ate a more whole food diet and stayed away from processed food, I believe they would be fine.

E

Eigau

Yes I think the argument I heard was because there was so much nutrition in whole grains that may not be recovered from a gluten free diet. My friends described symptoms that could be detoxing or sensitivity issues after trying a gluten free meal. Another friend found research that says if you are not gluten sensitive you could sensitize yourself. I'm fine with people choosing gluten free, MEs info looks sound too. It's hard to know what science to trust as science is often at disagreement with each other or some scientists go looking only for information to support their bias. I guess considering both sides would be beneficial :)

E

Eigau

Chick Pea Nuggets

You will need -
1 can of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic chopped
Half an onion chopped
2 t cumin
1 Lemon
2 eggs
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper

What to do -
Preheat oven to 180C
Combine and blend all ingredients
Shape into small balls
Place on greased tray
Cook until crispy brown

student12

student12

That sounds so yummy i got to try that recipe some time. :)

E

Eigau

Black Bean Burgers

You will need -
1 can of black beans
Half an onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 carrot
1 potato
1 T vegetable oil
1 egg
2 t cumin
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper

What to do -
Combine and blend all ingredients
Shape into palm size balls
Put into a frying pan and flatten slightly
Cook until brown and crispy on both sides

Serve with -
Whole grain bread and salad

T

Taffy

Really appreciate this thread Te, thanks ever so.. I used it when I wasn't so well recently and could only look in. Simple, wholesome and not too expensive. ( the thread that is .....not you..:) )