• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Vitamin D.

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

Anyone know if you can get a test from the chemist to see if you are vitamin D deficient? Dont want to go to dr's if i can help it.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

hi

no you have to get bloods done and its an expensive separate test so you usually have to request it and sometimes pay for it.

I have a thread of Vit D it ruined my health utterly and I'm in Australia

I think you can take it that you ARE low, most people are even down here in the sunniest country in the world.

forget testing all that, just take supplements. Theyre cheap as hell, one tiny pill a day and you will stop your teeth and bones falling apart and probably lift your depression.

I had the first SAD free winter ive ever had age 51, because they located and treated my deficiency.

it makes SOOOO much difference.

all the best.

(just buy the supplements and take em, EVERYONE!!! PLEASE!)

ps I have a thread on Vitamin D I will post the link so you can read all the shite it got me into.

BDU

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

Thanks bdu, It was your posts that made me think it could be vitamin D deficiency. Every year it's the same. Though i'm depressed all year to some degree, there's something happens every autumn.
Should have done something at least a month ago, but heyho that's me.
You think it's ok to just take them without being tested?

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Thanks bdu, It was your posts that made me think it could be vitamin D deficiency. Every year it's the same. Though i'm depressed all year to some degree, there's something happens every autumn.
Should have done something at least a month ago, but heyho that's me.
You think it's ok to just take them without being tested?
I know it is.

:hug:

everyone should take them, every winter.

my level was 23 even though I live in the sunniest state in the sunniest country In The World.

your level is supposed to be 80 something

I lost teeth now I have lost bone, an arthritic hip.

vitamin D is a naturally occurring substance in fish and milk, both of which I eat a lot of also.

Still, I was low. :( Lower than Tutankhamen.

it takes a while but now I feel Fantastic,, within myself, just yesterday I told my GP I feel about 18. :D

I got so bad I could barely climb stairs. :(

C

calamityjen

If you did want to test, some health shops do 'on the spot' pin prick tests. Or you can order ones online, where you prick your own finger and squeeze a couple of drops of blood into a tube then post it back for the results. I don't know how accurate they are though.

You also need to make sure you have an adequate intake of vitamin K for the vitamin D to be absorbed properly. Vit K is found in green leafy vegetables eg spinach, kale etc.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

id just like to emphasize I shouldn't have been low

ive always drunk milk eaten spinach and seafood and salmon, got outside, all that good stuff

theoretically I shouldn't have been low at all.

:shrug:

honestly I wouldn't even bother with the test, just look at the figures, if 1 in 3 aussies are low its going to be more like 2/3 in the Northern Hemisphere so just take the supplement. If its excess your body just flushes it anyway

If you go on VitaminD.org theres some really frightening stuff about low levels it affects everything, and they call it Vitamin Depression.

its even linked to cancer :(

Hairy.Mary

Hairy.Mary

Is got me thinking / worried too. I am quite the recluse

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

one of the first things I am doing is putting my niece on it; shes reclusive too. Shes very pale and unhealthy looking and lets face it bone issues are in the fambly now :(

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

its just one tiny pill also, the initial outlay might be a bit expensive but it turns out to be 1p a day or something, the best thing youll ever do for your health.

I started out with megadoses though, I went on the American Vit D sites, theyre right across it and recommend megadoses to correct then just one pill a day thereafter with regular monitoring which is what I'm doing now.

N

natalie

HI all,

I was very low in calcium and vitamin d, long story, I shan't go into, I now have soya milk, with my cereals.

The main thing, when feeling low, or about to, I always always slip into my workout mode, when possible in at home for me to do so, and I then always feel very much - sad wise, very much better. I workout on a daily regular basis.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

i dont think they can check it at the chemist, im sure its normally done by blood tests

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi All,
I was very low in vitamin D, i have like BDU lost teeth and bone in lots of places. My teeth just crumbled. I'm now on vit D supplements. My depression seems better.

Z

zombiegirl

My experience with vitamin D

Hello everyone,

I know that I am new, but I just wanted to share my experience with higher doses of vitamin D. It is pretty cheap here in Canada, and costco sells a 2 pack of 350 x 1000 iu for around $7.00. It is the D3. I take about 10,000 daily, when I remember, which works out to 3 or 4 times a week.

I live in Canada, and there is no vitamin D in our sunshine from October to March each year. I know that I was deficient because for years I used sunscreen, hats and long sleeves to protect myself. I was blindly following the herd. I had joint pain, and i was "bummed out" for about 15 years straight. I tried anti-depressants but after the honeymoon period I just went back to being blue most of the time, and I did not know why.

Now I take 10,000 iu about 3 or 4 times a week. I also take K2 with it. For most of last year I was taking 20,000 or 25,000 iu 4 days a week (I took all my vitamins with my lunch at work- I never remembered on my days off). I have almost no joint pain, the ganglion cyst on the top of my foot disappeared overnight, and I feel more level headed when I take it regularly. And at this time of year, I put an apron on (so that my back is exposed) and go out on my deck for 10 minutes at a time during the peak uvb time which is 10 am to 2 pm to generate my own vitamin D. According the Vitamin D council (USA), you can generate 10,000 iu to 20,000 iu in about 20 to 30 minutes doing this.

I did read an article about Gary Null, who was starting his own line of supplements, including a protein shake. I guess the manufacturer goofed on the vitamin D and added 2 million iu PER SERVING, instead of 2,000 iu. Gary took it daily for a month before he felt the symptoms of overdose. He is still alive!

HTH
zombiegirl:)

B

BlueDev

Yeah my Vitamin D gets low about once a year and it's usually in the Spring! I'd say it's because I haven't been getting as much sun in the winter (can you blame me for not going out as much? It's freezing!) and maybe some other reason. My dentist said many people are deficient in Vitamin D so it's not uncommon. Sometimes I'd know already or have a hunch when my shoulder start to hurt and know when it's hurting around the Spring.

I'd get it tested from my own doctor.