• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Views of early psychosis clinicians on discontinuation of antipsychoti

F

firemonkee57

Abstract

Send to:
Early Interv Psychiatry. 2015 May 12. doi: 10.1111/eip.12244. [Epub ahead of print]
Views of early psychosis clinicians on discontinuation of antipsychotic medication following symptom remission in first episode psychosis.
Thompson A1,2, Singh S1,3, Birchwood M1.
Author information
Abstract
AIMS:

Discontinuation of antipsychotics following remission in first episode psychosis (FEP) is a contentious area of practice. We aimed to investigate the views of early psychosis clinicians on this important clinical question.
METHODS:

We designed an 11 question online survey on medication discontinuation following remission of symptoms in FEP. The questionnaire was distributed to early intervention team workers in England and Wales via members of the National Early Psychosis Network who were requested to distribute it to their teams.
RESULTS:

We received 172 questionnaire responses; 37% were nurses, 33% doctors, 11% psychologists and 19% were other allied health professionals. The average years of experience in psychiatry was 16.9. 75.4% of respondents thought that greater than 60% of patients would like to be considered for guided medication reduction/discontinuation. Only 31.4% of respondents said that medication should be continued for over a year following remission. 61.4% of respondents felt that the quality of life of individuals was better in those who stop medication following remission. There was a significant difference in the response of professional groups to this question. 82.6% of respondents said they would be happy to support their patients in participating in a randomized trial of graded antipsychotic reduction/discontinuation versus maintenance medication.
CONCLUSIONS:

The views of clinicians regarding prophylactic antipsychotic medication following remission in FEP are much less conservative than those in current guidelines; concern was expressed by many about the impact of antipsychotic medication on quality of life. A randomized trial of maintenance antipsychotic medication versus graded reduction/discontinuation is feasible and has considerable clinician support.

Views of early psychosis clinicians on discontinuation of antipsychotic medication following symptom remission in first episode psychosis. - PubMed - NCBI

T

thrill

This is the wrong place for this thread.

It is looking at first episode psychosis which covers all the psychotic related disorders rather than just the SZ area. nowhere in the article is SZ mentioned.

Kerome

Kerome

It could be placed in the Psychosis forum under Other Conditions.

But I'm glad to see this. When I had my episode three years ago I was told I would probably be on medication for life, and I found it very hard to find a doctor in the UK who would guide a reduction attempt. I hope this will make it a bit easier for other first episode sufferers.

Dutch psychiatrists, by the way, have been a lot more forthcoming in helping reduce medication. I have yet to find one who wouldn't consider it.

F

firemonkee57

It fits in either this forum or the 'psychosis' forum. I just thought it would be noticed more here. The way you are going on thrill it's as though you think I've committed a major sin. If the article is that offensive ask for it to be deleted.
In fact I'll do it for you. Moderators please delete this thread. It was not my intention to offend anyone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Psychosis Forum 8