Views and Experiences on SSRI's please

Y

yellowwatford

Hi,

I have GAD and have had for many years. As a lot of you will know, its horrible. I have been prescribed anti depressants in the past but have always been reluctant to take them. A few of the reasons are that I have heard the horror stores about what happens when you try and come off them again, that they can make you feel worse for the first couple of weeks, and that alcohol may interfere with them. I now have a box of Citalopram and am thinking I will start taking them in the new year. I have done all the CBT etc, it helped a little but my anxiety is still there.

I drink quite a lot (yes, I know, its makes anxiety worse, but I'm trying to cut down) The doctor said alcohol may stop the pills from working. So, Im thinking, if I dont drink for a month, then I have a drink and it stops the pills from working, is that the same as stopping the pills altogether, and will I get the negative withdrawal symptoms you get when you stop taking them? If that makes sense? I'm hoping the pills will make me feel better and I will stop drinking, but its inevitable I will drink at some point.

Im also worried about how I will feel when I start taking them, and the whole fact that I am taking something that will change my brain chemistry. I know that the whole point of them but what if something goes wrong and they dont agree with me. What if I get the suicidal thoughts I have heard about when you first start taking them? I'm just scared of how they are going to make my feel to be honest.

Is there anyone here that is/has taken SSRI's that would like to share their experiences and hopefully put my mind at ease?

Also, does anyone have any experiences they can share with the alcohol/anxiety link. I fully understand drinking makes it worse and is probably part of the reason why I have anxiety, but stopping is easier said than done, especially when you know having a beer will take the edge of for a bit. Has anyone found their anxiety went after quitting booze?

Dan

C

chefbengenie

weigh it out

Hello,
alcohol is a depressant, and yes medication can be a crap game. You really have to weigh your desired outcome and well being. Bouncing back and forth will only mess you up more because you have to get your head straight to be able to make your life better. If you like to drink a lot, then 3 things may happen (1) you have a drinking problem that needs to be addressed (2) you may be self destructive and are generally confused what to do so you rely on both of them not working (3) you have to quit drinking completely. Just like any recovery, whether it be alcohol, drugs, or mental illness, there are always hard times ahead, and all of them require committment, but like i said, you have to decide what is best for you, your life, and your future, then take the steps. If you do continue to drink, the point of the drugs is moot and bouncing back and forth is more destructive in the long run. There also is a tendency for people to think that drinking will make them feel better, because it can heighten their joy, but when they crash, they look back to the alcohol to make themselves feel better again. It is a never ending cycle. I hope you make the right decision for yourself but it is for others as well. Good luck.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Side effects exist regardless of the drug. I would not let fear of that keep you from pursuing treatment for GAD. Consider that alcohol has side effects. It also affects your brain and there also can be withdrawal effects. What if treating your GAD with medication means you won't need to cope with alcohol?

Taking antidepressants does not mean you can never have a drink ever again. If there are any noticeable side effects they may be far more manageable than the symptoms of GAD. Like the above post suggests, weigh it and decide whether you think you'll be better off getting by or getting help.

V

viciouscycle

Alcohol is already affecting your brain and it is possible you are using it as a way to self-medicate for your anxiety.

SSRIs are much safer in terms of side effects compared to using alcohol to control your anxiety.

SoftRain

SoftRain

The everyday antidepressants never worked for me because I am bi polar but I know many people they work wonders for.
Having a few drinks wont effect them that much. Excessive drinking will make them not work.
In my case, when a med did not work for me, I quit cold turkey, it never made a difference in the least.
But some may experience problems but it never was my case.
Try the med, it might make a world of difference for you.

D

Dg7521

Hi there.

I have been on SSRIs for about 6 years and they have helped a signifigant amount. At times I use other medications perscribed to me to break from panic attacks but I have had no issues. I drink socially and have little issue with that and SSRIs. Its only if heavy drinking comes into play that my anxiety flares the next day.
I wish you luck!