• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Video Games can boost your mental health - Buy a Games Console Tomorrow.

PlasticPilot

PlasticPilot

There is so much negativity towards video games but they can help as a distraction technique and can also boost your mood considerably. I play Call of Duty and have done since Call of Duty Ghosts, if you put time into that game you start to get good at it and when you defeat other players it is the best feeling in the world (obviously does not compare with "wife sharing" or BDSM) but you get my drift.
Dismiss the haters and give it a try one day, you will be surprised how good it makes you feel :)

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I'm a hardcore gamer and have been fascinated by and have played video games since the first arcade machines appeared in the late 70's, I'm 50 now and have just built myself a decent gaming PC again after playing on an Xbox for a while, playing with friends or your clan/guild online can also relieve some of the social isolation if you have an MH problem, I'm playing a lot of Destiny 2 at the moment and the base game is free to play so I agree with @PlasticPilot.

A

aisha23

I need to be careful about what games I play because of my epilepsy, and usually when I play them I don't play for long. my brother had an X-box growing up, and sometimes I'd sit in his room while he played something or other, and if I fancied a go he'd give me his controller

I prefer online games. trivia and stuff

PlasticPilot

PlasticPilot

Thanks Lone Wanderer. I currently play on Xbox and yes playing multiplayer games with friends or randoms is always good fun. Destiny 2 always looks good but i never got that game, i am now on Call of Duty MW just got to level 98 and now there is the battle pass as well so you can unlock goodies for the game :)

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@PlasticPilot, has the Battle Royale mode come out for MW yet? I enjoyed it in CoD Black Ops 4 and I like the quick intensive Death Matches of Free for All in CoD games.

PlasticPilot

PlasticPilot

@PlasticPilot, has the Battle Royale mode come out for MW yet? I enjoyed it in CoD Black Ops 4 and I like the quick intensive Death Matches of Free for All in CoD games.
The Battle Royale mode for COD MW will be out most likely in the Spring or March time.
The You-Tuber eColiEspresso does a lot of Call of Duty news on his channel :)
I play mostly TDM or Domination modes but i want to try the Battle Royale mode when it comes out :)

D

Duality

Mostly, I'd have to agree. Video games are a great way to build your problem solving skills. Under the right conditions, you can learn to communicate well with others. Game worlds can be immersive and spark your imagination. They're a good way to de-stress too. I'm not the best at COD but get a kick out of outsmarting a better player. Or... If I'm playing Rocket League it's great to secure the win for my team. Also... There's nothing better than recording a crazy clip or taking a cool screenshot and sharing it online.

On the other hand, most communities are toxic. Not all of them though. I've sent friend requests to plenty of players looking for gaming friends only to play with them once and not again. It's possible to make new friends, but in my experience, a lot of people don't make a real effort. When people do, it's usually to trash talk behind the safety of anonimity. Live streamers are stream sniped or they unknowingly invite trolls into their game. Luckily, you can report people but it sucks the fun out of playing with new crews/players.

There's good and bad everywhere. The trick is knowing where to look.

S

SeguoIlMioCammino

How exactly do video games help? I fell into a deep depression since Christmas. Yet almost everyday I spend about half hour to an hour playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare Multiplayer on PS4, usually on the Shipment map. It is just chaos on the map, but I do not feel really any alleviation in my feeling down.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

i really struggle with games on the computer

seriously i cant even play solitaire properly on the computer, thats how bad i am at playing computer games

Fern

Fern

I bought my nieces switch from her but I get impatient and frustrated when I get stuck in the games or progression is slow. I don't see how it would help mental health.

Z

Zoe1

that wouldn't help me either
I can hear it through the wall from the neighbours
to me its a screen noise,

I do Sudoku puzzles on paper
and write on paper , paint
I find more relaxing for my eyes

im glad other people find them helpful though

each to his own

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There isn't much variety with xbox games. It's all about guns and shooting people.

Z

Zoe1

well maybe some people find it a release from aggression

I wish they would consider their neighbours / partners etc though !

Daybreak

Daybreak

Trash talk can be fun, when it's good-natured. There's a lot of people who take that way too far.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm serious about guitar. So no xbox or TV for me.