• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Video calls seem like a nightmare

S

strawberrywater

I have been having a hard time finding a job because I turn down video interviews. I'm too scared to do that. It's just as scary as an in person interview. I don't have a quiet place for the interview and I don't have another location other than sitting in front of my bed, so I'm worried about how that will look.

The biggest problem is that I haven't had much human interaction (outside of my family) for a year, other that grocery store clerks and my hair stylist. It's very scary.

Also might sound petty, but I don't like the idea of Zoom. I am concerned over privacy because of the millions of people who are using it and it's probably hacked a lot. I keep my camera and mic in my laptop disabled at all times because I don't trust it. I also have a strange phobia of "trendy" things and don't want to be a part of something popular like Zoom.

Any tips? I was thinking about asking for a phone interview instead but I'm scared the employer will think I'm hiding something - but I don't want to open my personal space to strangers.

2Much2Feel

I have been having a hard time finding a job because I turn down video interviews. I'm too scared to do that. It's just as scary as an in person interview. I don't have a quiet place for the interview and I don't have another location other than sitting in front of my bed, so I'm worried about how that will look.

The biggest problem is that I haven't had much human interaction (outside of my family) for a year, other that grocery store clerks and my hair stylist. It's very scary.

Also might sound petty, but I don't like the idea of Zoom. I am concerned over privacy because of the millions of people who are using it and it's probably hacked a lot. I keep my camera and mic in my laptop disabled at all times because I don't trust it. I also have a strange phobia of "trendy" things and don't want to be a part of something popular like Zoom.

Any tips? I was thinking about asking for a phone interview instead but I'm scared the employer will think I'm hiding something - but I don't want to open my personal space to strangers.
Totally understandable. Yeah, I would ask for a telephone interview, maybe say your camera isn't working on your computer if you don't mind lying a bit? I hate them too, I know a lot of us do, and it's something most people can totally relate to. Good luck and good for you for pushing forward!!

JessisMe

JessisMe

I think probably a lot of job applicants have similar concerns. They just do it. So I would say that if this is something that is required to get a job you are interested in just do it. Find a part of your room where you can put a backdrop so that they can’t see that they are interviewing you in a bedroom or find a different place in your house you could interview from ( I’m sure your family would help you out by clearing the space). There are so many compromises we have to make in life to get where we want to go that when opportunities come along we have to grab them because they might not come around again. xo, j

tabris

tabris

I feel the exact same. I hate video interviews and in some cases they're scarier than in person ones. Looking for a telephone interview is a good idea, if they ask why you can't do video maybe you could just say your webcam is broken or something or that you don't have one.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, those sound awkward to me, would prefer in person over that.

zula77

zula77

Same as me, there are so many of us who struggle with this I thought I was one of a few as everyone seems to be loving video calling now but reassuring to know there's lots like us, you could ask to just use audio, or say your WiFi isn't up to video connection, or be totally honest and explain your anxieties. Or do some practising with family and friends first and sort out a backdrop that you like. Good luck

Z

Zoe1

I find its a good way to meet peers
because you can see how you get on
without them knowing where you live
or where you hang out and stuff

A

always2020

Education is so important, with that you can find the root cause of your anxiety. I’m shy too, I guess that’s just us. I found education very helpful 🤓