• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Victimisation at work

S

Sassyl

Hi everyone. I have been victimised By two bully bosses for the past two years. At one point however it was three. I am always the person asked to do the most work whilst my colleagues' are never asked. I asked them why I was always asked and they claimed that I was not a team player and began spreading malicious lies about me to senior staff. No matter how much I do to "please" them they still have a complaint, whilst my colleague who plays with their phone all day never has anything said to them.

I'm not the first person to raise this issue, but others who did have all left. They also try to nitpick my personal life and begrudge me taking any leave. I don't know what to do. I have looked for other jobs but none pay as well and I would not be able to transfer my pension. I now suffer anxiety, insomnia, panic attacks, have developed ibs and acid reflux as a result of this continuing treatment. I can't see how this will ever end. Any advice appreciated.

P

Purple butterfly

Heeeey

I've had this issue many a time and it continues...

My advice

Write everything they say to you down time and date.
Any witness ask them to sign it.

Raise a grievance for bullying and victimisation)( preferably when you have enough evidence)

Go to your hr department and raise your concerns

Try and get an employment support worker they saved my job many times.

Go to your gp tell them what's going on

And most importantly smile at them and agree don't give them reason to slap you off this works in your favour in the long run.

I know the last one is hard but it is do able x

S

Sassyl

Hi.

Thanks for your response. At the moment I feel the only thing I can do is to try and smile etc, but it's exceptionally draining over time. Unfortunately I've been in this situation before in this organisation, when I was promoted.I kept a diary of incidents and spoke to the Hr manager on several occasions, however she conveniently went off on the sick when I first reported it.

Further contact with her was very difficult as she was always in 'meetings'. I was off work for 3 months due to work related stress. I was offered a phase return but no action was ever taken to resolve the issues I raised, so I ended up being forced to demote myself just to get back to work.

I was offered a post in our legal dept.(where I am now). My background has been used against me To threaten me and I have been told that it's 'very useful' for the dept. to have an employment lawyer in their midst for getting rid of bad members of staff. Needless to say this dept. has a high turnover of staff. I can't afford to lose my job but, my home life, health and general outlook is suffering as a result :low:

P

Purple butterfly

Hi, I've been suspended 7 times and once because I had mental health issues. Basically fight fight fight your corner because if you don't no one else will I have 4 union reps in my store and not one of them will rep me.

I find smiling and walking away makes it look as though you have nothing wrong and it makes them look bad you have to make a friend who will always back you up... And then in the long run you have done nothing to provoke it.

If you however feel the need to say something make sure there are absolutely no witnesses so then it's your word against there's.

Also you can ask to be referred to occy health as they can support you. Although they can also suggest you are not fit to work this recently happened to me.

Go back to hr and demand ( nicely) to speak to them if they refuse try and find a support worker they are amazing providing you are in the right x

Last edited:

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi ya and :welcome: to the forum

Is this a big company or a small company?

If it's a big company is there another department you could transfer to?

If I was you I would keep a notebook on you and dot down everytime something happens with name, date and time. Of course do it out of the people's reach and certainly don't tell others you are doing it. Is it safe enough for you to do that?

For the moment and I know it is hard but when they make little comments smile (even if it's totally fake) and just say ok. When they see that you aren't upset they may back off.

You say that others have raised the issue, do you think that they were pushed out for the same reason?

If the place is too toxic then you need to either fight or flight. You say it's been going on for two years, do you think it has got worse or better?

Sorry for all the questions, a bad habit of mine.

Marliee x

S

Sassyl

Hi again

Purplebutterfly, I went to our health and welfare dept. after I asked to be referred when I was off for the 3 months and was told that because I didn't have a physical issue there was nothing they could do for me. Sorry if I seem defeatist but my self esteem/confidence is low and I'm not the person I once was.

Hi Marliee thanks you for your comments, the company is pretty big but due to budget constraints there are no transfers for the foreseeable future. I did apply last summer for a post in another building but i was not chosen. Transfers applications prior to the this could take years.

The others were probably pushed out for similar reasons as I know one in particular argued about the inequality in the office. One was a junior manager and didn't agree with a senior manager, but I'm not entirely sure what that was about. In terms of recording details, I did start to about a year ago, but gave up again because of how useful this exercise had been to me in the past. I haven't considered things getting better as such, but there have been worse moments over the past two years. Thanks guys x