• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Very nearly 9 months now

E

english rose

End of July 2014 was when I was informed that the b***h from ATOS had stitched me up, over 3 months since I've received any money from the DWP (thankfully I'm still getting housing benefit), my appeal is now with the upper tier tribunal who last I heard were awaiting my file to be sent to them from the lower tier tribunal, I have a solicitor who is taking care of things for me.

U

urbangibbon

End of July 2014 was when I was informed that the b***h from ATOS had stitched me up, over 3 months since I've received any money from the DWP (thankfully I'm still getting housing benefit), my appeal is now with the upper tier tribunal who last I heard were awaiting my file to be sent to them from the lower tier tribunal, I have a solicitor who is taking care of things for me.
While on appeal you should be receiving a supporting payment (income support) which is less than ESA. If you lose the appeal, you will have to sign on for JSA. If you win, you will get a refund of all lost ESA. If you are on appeal, you should not be signing on for JSA.

I am a bit confused because you say 9 months in the tag and 3 months in the post itself.

E

english rose

While on appeal you should be receiving a supporting payment (income support) which is less than ESA. If you lose the appeal, you will have to sign on for JSA. If you win, you will get a refund of all lost ESA. If you are on appeal, you should not be signing on for JSA.
Whilst I was appealing to the lower tier tribunal I was getting the basic rate of ESA (£50 less pw than what I'd been getting as I'd been in the support group), I can't sign on because I'm not well enough to work; I'm lucky that I have a mother who is willing & able to give me money to live on - otherwise I'd be destitute (however my mum can not carry on doing this indefinitely).

U

urbangibbon

Whilst I was appealing to the lower tier tribunal I was getting the basic rate of ESA (£50 less pw than what I'd been getting as I'd been in the support group), I can't sign on because I'm not well enough to work; I'm lucky that I have a mother who is willing & able to give me money to live on - otherwise I'd be destitute (however my mum can not carry on doing this indefinitely).
Sorry, I still don't understand. You will have to put me right if things have changed. When ATOS found me fit for work, I appealed. I received a payment from the DWP until the appeals panel found in my favour.

Are you saying that this panel has supported the ATOS decision and that you are appealing to a higher body? And that if you appeal to this higher body, you must sign on or get no income support?

Also, if you are in the support group, my understanding is that you do not need to present anymore sick notes and that they cannot turf you out of the support group once you are there. Yet you imply that you were in the support group and no longer are. My understanding is that ATOS assessments end once you are in the support group.

U

urbangibbon

Hi Rose, I've done some reading on the net and I understand your position now. If you appeal against the decision of the first appeal panel to the higher one, you no longer receive any money from the DWP. Also, I have found out that even people on SG ESA can still be called in for a WCA by ATOS. The DWP try to coerce you to sign on for JSA by not giving you any money whilst on the second stage of the appeal.

So, what can I suggest? Can you apply for emergency help from the DWP and/or the local council which pays your housing benefit? An emergency loan from these? Also, do you have a foodbank near you? You can get a hot meal and food there to take home. It will save on money being paid out by your mum. I am on CBESA (SG) and I have a foodbank near me but have not needed to use it as yet.

The DWP and ATOS are Nazis. I know them well from WCAs. And Iain Duncan Smith is the Obersturmfuhrer.

Keep going. Keep fighting. You will win through in the end! Best Wishes

U

urbangibbon

PS Let's hope the Tories don't get re-elected.

Last edited:
E

english rose

The nearest food bank is 4 miles away. I don't know how long my mum can continue giving me money for, probably a few months more, but not until she dies (she's 70); I know she inherited some money of her dad - but that is not enough for me to live off for the rest of my life (I'm 42).

U

urbangibbon

The nearest food bank is 4 miles away. I don't know how long my mum can continue giving me money for, probably a few months more, but not until she dies (she's 70); I know she inherited some money of her dad - but that is not enough for me to live off for the rest of my life (I'm 42).
If you have problems getting to the foodbank - for whatever reason - then you can request a delivery. You will have to show them relevant documentation to prove that you are in need of support. e.g., letter from DWP, housing benefit award letter, letter proving that you on appeal, etc. You could also apply to the energy companies for a payment scheme which spreads the cost of bills. Anything which reduces the financial burden on your mum and helps you both survive until matters are resolved.

E

english rose

If you have problems getting to the foodbank - for whatever reason - then you can request a delivery. You will have to show them relevant documentation to prove that you are in need of support. e.g., letter from DWP, housing benefit award letter, letter proving that you on appeal, etc. You could also apply to the energy companies for a payment scheme which spreads the cost of bills. Anything which reduces the financial burden on your mum and helps you both survive until matters are resolved.
My mum's OK, she doesn't go without anything, she's not rich but she's not poor either.