Very bad experience with the NHS

Y

Yoghurt

Its saddening to see how many people have been let down by the mental health service and how similar the stories are. I have also had a long history of problems with the NHS to the point I am attempting to self fund therapy which is crippling me financially.

Some of the failings would be downright funny if it wasn't my life (and others) they were messing up. I've sat through a meeting where a therapist started to shout at me and my advocate when we told him he had the wrong details on me and that basically I didn't know any better. When he showed us them he was reading from a different patient's notes, one that just from reading the name would have made him realise he was wrong. He just handed over someone elses data.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been discharged without warning, one time was because my psychologist went on maternity leave. Apparently her pregnancy cured me. Also I've been 'not willing to comply with therapy' when it's impossible for someone with agoraphobia and anxiety to attend the group courses they are offering.

You can (and I have) make a complaint about treatments received or not as the case usually is, via The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) but its a long process and in all honesty for me it didn't really amount to anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck though.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

Imo the old asylums were better than care in the community because patients tend to support each other.

Asylums weren't better or worse because of the staff or doctors.

They were better because of the sense of community and literally asylum from the prejudices and stigmas so prevalent in the community.

I live in a very large supported lodgings and have done for the last 3 years and I know from experience that broadly speaking we are all very supportive and understanding of each other.

And that despite the huge variations in our respective diagnoses.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've heard people in supportive housing the goverment may not pay the rent charged with the single persons maximum income etc, i think it's about management, not allowing people to come off meds and terrorise estates, not ignoring the issue and saying the person is vulnerable, no doubt they are but what about their victims?

I

iwanthope

in my mind there is no excuse for the way CMHT behave. They are disgusting. In fact if you accept their excuses there will always be another. They make things up and in my case have made things up with my GPs blessings. For 14 years I had been seeing my GP thinking that she was kind, sweet, sympathetic- how naïve I was but I could never have guessed and there was no telling the way she was behaving behind my back. It is like being someone gang up on you, she has been complicit giving psychiatrists the go- ahead almost acting like a spy on their behalf. Any time I question something, any time I complain , this is seen as stepping out of line. She has been making arrangements with MHs to send them off as 'difficult patients ; everytime they complain too much about something. Talk about doctors of stealth. She is the queen of it. What is so upsetting is there was no way I could have noticed this. She gave no indication that this is what she3 was doing. She recorded that I had type 2 diabetes two years ago- kind of explains why I was feeling so lethargic- she never informed me of this and recorded in my medical notes that it was unnecessary. How is this even legal? she is friends with the psychiatrist who I see, she calls him up frequently, he slipped this from his tongue. She has been disclosing things about me to the psy. I saw another GP, the GP said I had anxiety disorder and that but no hallucinations. THis is abuse. I do not have to put up with it. How can I fight this? This is taking advantage of people who need help the most. She is doing everything possible to get me out of the way. How can this be fair? am I not entitled to be treated fairly. This all came as a surprise to me. If I complain, she accuses me of psychosis. The GP had been acting in this way to try and get me to leave the surgery , it is a tactic. I have been to all the complaints. I went to the practice manager, she is taking me for a fool and then jumping in. Why is she behaving like this? is there some sort of prejudice towards me. She has annotated fraudulent information, appointments with consultants which never existed. She has called me on the phone asking me if I have ever wanted to harm someone, in a very sweet manner, why such duplicity. She has been covering for her colleagues. If I complain, I am bounced back to the same people I do not want to see, How ironic?

T

Twokiwisandabanana

I look forward to a time when mental health issues are taken as seriousley as physical health issues.
What I dislike about it is that all the workers and everyone in it say yes the system is terrible yes it's awful!
WELL BLOODY DO SOMETHing about it.

L

LoveToBake

I was with the NHS 3 weeks ago with suicidal depression. I was told that I wasn't depressed, that I was emotional and that I have EUPD and that I'm making up the bipolar.
I told the nurse I saw a private psychiatrist last yr and he diagnosed me with bipolar. I found the medication he put me on helpful.
Oh.. So maybe I do have bipolar then, she said and asked what medication I would like to be put on and that she'll send a letter out to me. 3 weeks later and I never heard back from her. I don't know why.
I discharged myself from the NHS.
I am now back with private services, I have a care plan, my meds are getting sorted and I am having therapy to understand bipolar disorder.

I don't mean to sound suspicious or paranoid but upon discharging myself, the secretary was trying to convince me to stay with the NHS and attend my December appointment.
I also found out I was on the wrong medication and on too low of a dose for my type of bipolar from my GP and private psychiatrist.
And I have become extremely paranoid that I could have EUPD and that I'm harming my boyfriend which is not the case at all and my GP has tried to reassure me that I don't have EUPD, she has seen me manic and depressed after all. It's like the NHS have drilled EUPD into me and the NHS psychiatrist earlier this yr refused to discharge me although I had a private provider at the time and didn't require the NHS.
It makes me think there was some weird conspiracy theory/motive. And I know they were trying to keep EUPD a secret from me until I confronted the nurse.
But it has triggered a huge amount of distrust towards psychiatric workers. I'm now skeptical of my private psychiatrist and therapist and they're genuinely trying to help me where my bipolar is concerned.

M

Melchy

I'd like to be able to say that these GPs are one-offs and that they've got a special agenda in these particular cases. But I can't. These stories are typical.

Then again, are GPs the best people to be 'helping' with these problems? I very much doubt it.

Until we break away from GPs trying to be something they cannot be, we're likely to see more of the same.

There should be a completely different 'Service' for people with mental health issues where they can be treated with respect and dignity. I'd even shy away from calling it 'Mental Health'. A lot of the time it's to do with 'life and all it throws at you'. Sure they'd need to interface with GPs if only to arrange and get the results of blood tests, but that's about it.

Bring on a multi-disciplinary team approach for people with emotional problems, even if it's extreme - such as bipolar or psychotic, at least have the right people in place to handle the problem. Throwing 'one person at a time' at the problem will get nobody anywhere.

E

Endall

I made the stupid decision of returning to the doctor who referred me to the CPN. For some reason I always feel like I need to make my case and made it clear that no one understands me. His reply was I make excuses and that the world is not against me. I should get a job, any job, get my own place and that will make everything better for me. Because I am now far too old to be like this! Making reference to my age.

So I have made my choice to end my existence. I cannot take it any more. What is the need for me to keep on like this as nothing will ever change no matter how hard I try and there really is no need for me to be here. I feel better that soon I will not have to hear people putting me down, me trying to stand up for myself and just be laughed at, me being seen like the fat lazy cow. Me crying myself to sleep most nights. Knowing I’ll be all alone for the rest of her life simply because there is something about me that people do not like, no friends or even a boyfriend. I will never understand how other people I know who are so nasty have people around them that love and care for them. It kills me to think that I must be that much of a very bad person to be all alone. All I ever wanted was to be free to be me and it appears I cannot be like that. The fight is over. They have won.

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

Understand totally you feeling the way you do, but please dont do anything to yourself. Services are crap. They are not worth the money that is spent on them!
You are definately not a bad person at all. You are not alone here. People here understand exactly how you are feeling and how things are for so many of us. Please try and ride this out.
Sending you hugs.:hug::hug:

E

Endall

I should first say that this is not a cry for help. I have for many years had at the back of mind to end my existence. Not ever seeing a way out or any point to anything I do. There is no joy any more. No fun, no happiness. It has all gone. Just a feeling of dread. I have always said that if I knew that things would keep on like this, I would of ended it nearly 20 years ago just to avoid all this pain and suffering I have had to face.

I have been looking at ways to end it and very pleased to say that I have found a way. This has made me feel better and at times smile because it is all over for me. This is my only way out now and forever. I am fine with that since it is my decision after all. The only one I have control over. The comments on other forums about a long term solution to a short term problem really does my head in.

Thank you so much for your reply angry butterfly, as you can see it has been a long time coming. There is nothing that can change my mind now. Your hugs were well received.

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

I have thought the same myself. If i'd known thirty years ago my life was going to be like this i would have ended it then, if given the means. Idk what to say to make you change your mind, because it's your life and decision. I feel i've done quite well to reach the age i have and feel it's quite an achievement in a way. Though i feel sad that if i'd gone long ago i would'nt have had the realisation of what some of my family are and have turned out to be, and indeed what the world is all about.
I hope you can find some hope deep within yourself.xx

M

mrspoon

I made the stupid decision of returning to the doctor who referred me to the CPN. For some reason I always feel like I need to make my case and made it clear that no one understands me. His reply was I make excuses and that the world is not against me. I should get a job, any job, get my own place and that will make everything better for me. Because I am now far too old to be like this! Making reference to my age.

So I have made my choice to end my existence. I cannot take it any more. What is the need for me to keep on like this as nothing will ever change no matter how hard I try and there really is no need for me to be here. I feel better that soon I will not have to hear people putting me down, me trying to stand up for myself and just be laughed at, me being seen like the fat lazy cow. Me crying myself to sleep most nights. Knowing I’ll be all alone for the rest of her life simply because there is something about me that people do not like, no friends or even a boyfriend. I will never understand how other people I know who are so nasty have people around them that love and care for them. It kills me to think that I must be that much of a very bad person to be all alone. All I ever wanted was to be free to be me and it appears I cannot be like that. The fight is over. They have won.

I know the feeling of having to make your case. Unfortunately I think within mental health professionals there exist those who have unhelpful opinions .For instance they think if someone looks like they take care of themselves there can't be much wrong, or that someone with BPD is simply attention seeking/manipulating them, shows you what massive egos some of them have when they think someone who is profoundly distress'd even have the energy to plan like that.

They think someone with depression should 'pull themselves together',they talk down to or over people with schizophrenia acting like they can't make decisions for themselves , or make 'threats' if they get upset over medication side effects .In my time I have witness'd all of this ,either done to myself or seen it done to other people.

This is why I do get rather annoyed when I read commentators in the guardian who think if mental health services got money thrown at it everything would be magically fine,because in my view the above attitudes have nothing to do with money or resources, but the kind of people they choose to recruit or training.And sometimes I think it's just as dangerous to have people working like that for them as lack of resources. I sometimes think they do not deserve anymore bloody money.

I know the feeling of being alone, how bad it is. I don't know about you,but what makes it even worse for me is thanks to stuff in my childhood I almost totally isolate myself yet I want company if that makes sense I just scared of being targetted again. What can help is phoning the samaritans just for a chat, they will not judge and I find them easier to speak to in the main than mental health professionals.

The police tend to be nice as well inmy experience {but hopefully you can feel better before it gets to that stage}.When I went to a certain place I thought no one cared at all, I was totally shocked with how caring the police were with me. Believe me there are people out there who do care.

Another thing to try apart from the samaritans is to watch some funny stuff on you tube. I like the howard stern show.

Sometimes the samaritans or howard stern doesn't work for me, but sometimes it does. What also helps me a bit is physical exercise, hormones are released from that and it might make you feel a bit better for a while.

Don't listen to that idiot doctor. Yes he is an idiot and why on earth is he working in psychiatry if he dismisses people like that? Thats the kind of attitude I witness from some down my gym, who like 'nutters' are either lazy or should be lock up in asylums for ever as they are dangerous. Even if he thinks you have potential to get your own place, get jobs, he should be talking positively to you and thinking of ways to support you getting those things. Maybe see your GP and ask to see another psychiatrist next time? The place I am under there are locums not just the consultant. I wouldn't bother with him again personally.I wouldn't really criticise him to the GP, or the CPN, just say you would like a second opinion of you didn't feel right with him,maybe say you prefer to see a woman . Absolve him of all blame because they close ranks otherwise.

E

Endall

Thank you for your post mrspoon. If I had the fight in me left I would complain about all of them.

The topic of mental health in men came up on my local news tonight. Also the topic of being lonely too on this morning. It seems it is everywhere.

I am found this response overwhelming. I am truly thankful. I really am.

E

Endall

It would be different if I was happy to carry on like this. But I am not. Or rather that I had the strength to carry on like this. Any strength I had is gone. To build it up again? How could I do that knowing that I would end up being made weak again like I am now? The pain I feel each and every day gets worse and I cannot live another 20, 30 or 40 years of that. Let alone another 20, 30 or 40 months like this.

I cannot believe that I did not come to this decision sooner, as it is the best choice I could have ever made in this pointless existence of mine. I am at peace with this choice and soon all the pain I am feeling will be over. It would be like I was never here and best of all I get to be free at long last. That is what is making me happy right now that there is an ending to all of this for me.

I have made plans and book tickets to go and see things around my area one last time. Starting with a day out tomorrow. I cannot wait. I shall be taking many photos and even some selfies as well. The beginning of the end.