• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Very bad experience with the NHS

E

Endall

Apologies if this is in the wrong section I need to let off some steam.

Right, I will try to keep this short. But it has been a rather long drawn out ordeal for me with my local mental health centre.

More than a year ago I was referred to my local NHS mental health centre. Or what ever the hell it is. I was messed about not hearing from them for many months then I did eventually get an appointment that was cancelled. Then it was rebooked, I saw someone had a chat and found it to be fine. Then I had to trace them up once again and again. Before I eventually got another appointment with someone else. I saw this person a few times and did not really feel like I was able to open up to them, then had to see another person about medication and what else could be done to help me.

Still with me? Great.

So at this time I had enough as I was not getting anyway with them and phoned to say so. I then get a letter about attending a group. Which I am not willing to do simply because I am shy and many other reasons. I complained about this explaining that I much rather a 121 setting and thought I would get this since. WRONG! Passed on to yet another person. Who had read all about me from previous assessments for me to only have to talk again about the same things I had been chatting about previously with the others. What a waste of time and has done nothing for my mental state. If anything I feel even worst from it all. Having to say the same thing over and over again to four different people five if I include my doctor who referred me!

While in this session with the last person from this awful centre I was told that this is how it is and that I would need to be sent to chat to another person. I could not believe this. It is even worse than contacting a call centre speaking to multiple people. At different times or in some cases in one sitting.

Can someone tell me how this is meant to help a patient? Being passed from one person to the next and not being really helped? The system is awful. :curseyou: All I asked for is to be seen by one person on a 121 basis. Is that too much to ask? Has this happened to anyone else?

E

Endall

I feel so stupid for thinking I would actually be helped by these people. So now I have been signed off since I am not willing or in her words. I do not want to be helped.

Kerome

Kerome

Sorry to hear it did not go well. But it's par for the course with cmht I think. My experiences with cmht were pretty bad as well... I had a psychosis and they called me in for a follow-up check, then another, then a third, all with nurses and finally a half-hour appointment with a psychiatrist about six months after the psychosis. Eventually a number of months later I got referred to group therapy in a different place, which I did for a few months on a weekly basis.

It was a lot of running around for an assessment which came very late, and although the group therapy was kind of useful its effect on me personally was totally not monitored in any kind of follow-up. I didn't feel that anyone was actually managing my case, just that I was being sent, very slowly, from one place to another.

With the NHS it's really a question of the squeaky wheel gets the grease... if you make a lot of noise about your condition and persist in finding treatment they will usually do more for you.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Hi Endall :)

All I asked for is to be seen by one person on a 121 basis. Is that too much to ask?
Well I don't know where you live but if it's the UK, the answer is 'yes' and it all boils down to cost. 121 therapy is expensive so the NHS will try to avoid it whenever possible. It's the reason they prefer to advocate group therapy (it works out cheaper) and the reason they push for CBT sessions involving 50+ people to deal with low level depression and anxiety.

E

Endall

Thanks so much for both of your replies. It was nice to know that I am not alone in experiencing this sort of service Kerome.

I am in the UK. Like you in the East of England, Jaminacaranda

P

Pollypop

I understand exactly what you are all saying.
My experiences with CMHT has been horrendous.
You wouldn't believe it.
Well, you probably would!!

No time to give experiences at moment but I'll be back
so prepare yourselves.
It's no joke the way we are treated.

Pollypop x

E

Endall

Pollypop, I will wait patiently for your post soon. Thanks. x

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
that right wing daily mail journalist says the nhs sees patients as something to get rid of and nothing will change until the money really does folllow the patient

i don't really see how money will even start to follow me

is it peter hutchins

T

Trixxie

I too have had horrendous experience with cmht. I've put up a post about it earlier.
Lots of cpns coming for a few weeks and then suddenly retiring out of the blue and discharging me.
The last one I had spent the whole time saying they are a short term recovery service now and was only seeing me because GP forced them to. She then said one day "don't worry though I won't abandon you" but at the next appt out of the blue said that she had got a promotion, was leaving, and she was discharging me from cmht that day!! You couldn't make this stuff up.

GP pushed again and I've recently got a new one. Up to now I thought I'd seen it all from them but she's managed to top that and the whole thing is over before it even began.
I'm at the stage now of giving up on cmht even though I do need their support but they really don't give a damn and make things worse.

I've begun to think the whole thing is about money and politics with no care at all for the vulnerable people needing their help. :low:

Jonwal

Jonwal

My friend said they have a hard job but I think the system has to change

E

echo66

My friend said they have a hard job but I think the system has to change

They probably do have a hard job, but that is no excuse for the disgusting way they treat people in their care. I think we've all either had personal experience or know someone who has, of the way CMHT treat their 'clients'...

I've been referred, discharged, re-referred by GP to CMHT that many times over the past 2 years, I've lost count... I have seen 5 different people and don't have faith in them anymore. Can relate to being made to feel responsible for being ill, for not making enough effort, for being told that I can choose whether or not to feel depressed (as if anyone would choose to feel suicidal..!)

Every appointment I have come out feeling a damn site worse than when I went in. I vowed that last time would be the last time, I would not allow myself to get shunted back to them again, knowing that they would see me once or twice, then discharge me back to a GP who has neither the time to deal with MH issues, nor adequate knowledge to assess things properly.

I don't know what the answer is... I wish I did... the MH service is in crisis in the UK and it doesn't show any signs of recovering anytime soon.

We are on our own....

T

Trixxie

They probably do have a hard job, but that is no excuse for the disgusting way they treat people in their care. I think we've all either had personal experience or know someone who has, of the way CMHT treat their 'clients'...

I've been referred, discharged, re-referred by GP to CMHT that many times over the past 2 years, I've lost count... I have seen 5 different people and don't have faith in them anymore. Can relate to being made to feel responsible for being ill, for not making enough effort, for being told that I can choose whether or not to feel depressed (as if anyone would choose to feel suicidal..!)

Every appointment I have come out feeling a damn site worse than when I went in. I vowed that last time would be the last time, I would not allow myself to get shunted back to them again, knowing that they would see me once or twice, then discharge me back to a GP who has neither the time to deal with MH issues, nor adequate knowledge to assess things properly.

I don't know what the answer is... I wish I did... the MH service is in crisis in the UK and it doesn't show any signs of recovering anytime soon.

We are on our own....
Everything you have said is exactly my experience with them Echo.

I feel like a ping pong ball, back and forth to my GP when each cpn keeps discharging me after a couple of appts. The system is just so shockingly bad.
This last one and the brutal way she dealt with me just topped the whole thing off.

I would go private but don't have the money. I can try for yet another cpn and risk making my health even worse yet again in doing so. Either that or go it alone.

It's a horrible position to be in :low:

E

Endall

I have received a letter as promised from them detailing what we chatted about and that I wished to be discharged and that everything is fine! I think we all know that is a load of bullsh*t.

I took the liberty of going to the doctor and telling them that it was not true and that I had enough of being pasted around like a parcel.

What now, who knows. I know I can not keep going on like this.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

The problem imo stems from how mental health resources are allocated.

I have noticed for example, living in a supported lodgings that inpatient provision almost no longer exists for people who are depressed or// and have depressive psychosis.

The people monopolising mental health resources seem to be manic depressives who are manic.

Once they cease to be manic they are discharged and the system no longer gives a fuck about them until that is they get manic again which seems to take about a year.