Very anxious/scared about upcoming surgery? Any tips?

O

Owlybear

Hey guys,
Maybe you can help me. I have a surgery in a little over a week and I am absolutely terrified. As a little bit of background I have been diagnosed with GAD and OCD. I have periods of time where my anxiety does not bother me, almost to the point that I start to think maybe my anxiety has left, but that has not been the case this year.
I feel a little pathetic even saying this but I am absolutely terrified of hospitals, surgery and the thought of being put under and I'm in my late 20s. This is my first surgery, I'm very phobic of all of these things and yet I have never had a bad experience in a hospital and so it makes no sense for me to be so scared, but I am. Even just walking through a hospital sets me on high alert, my mum was hospitalised for 2 weeks last year (she's fine now) and even visiting her set the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and the panic.

So anyway, ive basically known I was going to have to get a surgery since about february and I have been panicking about it ever since. I feel like my feelings flip dramatically because I am only getting a tonsilectomy and I feel like there are so many other surgeries that are a lot scarier and serious than that, but the rational part of my brain is being completely taken over by this fear of all things surgical. I can normally find a little bit of rationality even at my worst with anxiety, but this has not been the case when it comes to surgery. I am afraid of a few things, firstly obviously not waking up, not having control over my surroundings is obviously so dreaded by anyone whose ever had anxiety and a small part of me felt like I was signing my death certificate by agreeing to get this surgery (I know that sounds so silly but its how I feel). I keep worrying that I'm just not going to wake up or im going to feel everything/hear everything, I am very scared. I am also scared of having a panic attack in the operating theatre and getting myself into a real state and making a fool of myself. I honestly don't want to inconvenience anyone of the staff, or my family but for me this is one of the scariest things I have ever done. I feel like a wuss even saying that.

Hopefully people can relate with me when I say that I understand that so many people get surgeries everyday and they come out fine and even really old sick people and that, aside from being some pounds heavier than I'd like to be, im very healthy, but I just cant shake this absolute dread I have.
I've been having mini break downs for months, trouble sleeping when alone and panic attacks. Usually my panic attacks only happen when im alone and stuck with my thoughts but today I was in a really bad panic on and off all day, to the point that I thought I was going to throw up and I was with friends.

I know that this surgery is going to be beneficial to me as my tonsils have been malfunctioning now for years. For at least 4 years I have been ill with tonsilitis/flu symptoms from october to may (every year) and consistently on anti-biotics, was very nearly hospitalised this year and I have not been off anti-biotics for more than 2 weeks this year. I've also had sinus infections constantly on the back of these tonsilitis/flu symptom flare ups and I feel very lethargic and spent many a day crying because its not fun being ill all the time lol. I've also become resistant to some anti-biotics which is not what I want and all the meds im taking are upsetting my stomach something awful! So I know its what I need to do.

I'm just wondering does anyone else have any tips for how to get through this surgery and how to cope on the days leading up to it and ON the day? I have one more pre-surgery meeting next week a few days before my surgery and I was going to tell the nurses just how nervous I am, do you think this is a good idea? I almost feel like if they can sedate me early on this would be the best idea lol cause im gonna be a nightmare otherwise. Sorry if this was all over the place, please reply if you can, I am very scared and would love a pep-talk from any fellow anxiety sufferers who have gone through the same thing :unsure::panic::scared::help:

Thanks for reading,
OwlyBear

T

Tasguy

Hi I know exactly how U feel I had minor surgery and was anxious all the way up to the day. It was terrible on the day at one point I told the nurse I was going to walk out an not do the surgery. Tell ur nurse if they can give U slight sedation my nurse was going to ask my doc to give me a pill to relax me but by then it was too late. Maybe U can look online and start learning some meditation skills. U will be fine many people go through the same op U have more chance on driving to the op than U do dying on the table

O

Owlybear

Hi I know exactly how U feel I had minor surgery and was anxious all the way up to the day. It was terrible on the day at one point I told the nurse I was going to walk out an not do the surgery. Tell ur nurse if they can give U slight sedation my nurse was going to ask my doc to give me a pill to relax me but by then it was too late. Maybe U can look online and start learning some meditation skills. U will be fine many people go through the same op U have more chance on driving to the op than U do dying on the table
Thank you so much for your reply Tasguy,
I will do, I have my pre-op appointment on monday so I will ask as many questions as I can and maybe they will be able to give me something. I was thinking about hypnotherapy aswell, I saw a couple videos I was gonna try out lol. I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply :) nice to know im not the only one who gets scared xx

T

Tasguy

Let me know how the hypnotherapy goes in keen to try that as well