• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

verbal abuse

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

Whilst my ptsd stems from an unspeakable attack on my person, I have become very interested in verbal abuse as was originally diagnosed with more than one personality disorder. I see this as verbal abuse in many ways as I was torn to shreds by a psychiatrist who appeared to be on a mission to destroy me with his words.

I have been crying this evening as I watched 24hours in a&e and saw a gentle psychiatrist die from cancer. His mum said he treated his drug adficted clients as gentleman. This had me crying so very much because I was not treated like the gentle lady that I now know deep in my heart that I am.

The book is
Victory over verbal abuse
By
Patricia Evans

It is the last section which helped me greatly. Please go and get it from your library.

As I cried I said out loud-
I am a gentle lady. Sensitive. Good. Kind. Loving. Made perfect. Special. Important. Gifted. Talented. Friendly. Helpful. Special.

He treated me like I was the worst person in the world.
I was not treated like a gentle lady.
I had been through a horrific attack. I was in bits and pieces. Frightened. Experiencing strange things that I could not verbalise at the time. Despite my telling him this. Despite my telling him that the police had taken me to a&e after the attack and all that entails, he made me feel like everything was my fault. He tore me to shreds. Spoke to me with words dripping with hate. He hated the person I was.

If I'd had a personality disorder or two, should this be how one is treated? I almost lost my son because of this psychiatrist. And much more besided. I lost myself.

I think I'm finding myself again.

God will rectify this when this man dies. I hope. I know not all of you believe in God. I'm sorry to say this then but I believe everything will be rectified when he and my attacker die. Justice.

Don't let anybody tell you that you aren't perfect. You have to be strong jn that.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

:hug1::hug1: Peach :hug1::hug1:

Verbal abuse is absolutely horrible in its own right.

It's something i've experienced with more than one person, so I know how 'clever' (read - manipulative) people who verbally abuse others can be. Twisting things, making it your fault, making you feel like you're unreasonable or crazy. It's just horrible.

L

lovagemuffin

nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.:loveshower:

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I too have experience with this sort of thing, again from more than person.

Regarding mental health professionals. Some of them are in the job simply to earn a living, not cos they have a vocation to care. If you complain and call them out on their words and actions, the nurse/social worker/doctor etc seek recourse to that old, old line, they "do not recall that" blah blah. At such times it's our word against theirs, and theirs is taken as being correct.

This effectively makes us out to be either liars, making vexatious complaints. Or that we (as poor things) are unwell, and being slightly befuddled, have got it wrong.

In other words, they seek refuge in the prejudice and stigma around MH issues, and therefore are doing the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing: improving mental health. Such professionals - and the term here is used very, very loosely indeed - are actually working in reverse.

The other sort of verbal abuser are the common or garden low life. Some are just dim-witted mouthy bell-ends. Others are more clever or sneaky with it. Best approach with this sort is to simply tell them what they are, and then give them the bum's rush.

Most importantly, try not to be like them. Cos an outcome of both sorts of abuser, is that there can be a tendency to run off at the mouth yourself at times :)