• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Venlafaxine...

SimonB

SimonB

Anyone on this drug, venflafaxine?

I'm currently trialing an increase in citalopram, if that doesn't work then its a change of meds to venflafaxine...anyone on this, does it have any usefulness??

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

It's like any other med, it's good for some and not others. I changed from citalopram to venlafaxine about 8 months ago now, but unfortunately despite several increases in dose it never did the trick for me. In fact nothing else has yet either.

Q

quality factor

Hi, yes been on Venlafaxine for many years, as has already been said some drugs work for some people and some don't.
My only advice would be to consider that Venlafaxine, like some other drugs, has a bad reputation for withdrawal side effects. It is apparently very difficult to come off and should be done with professional guidance, carefully.

qf.

A

Affective

Anyone on this drug, venflafaxine?

I'm currently trialing an increase in citalopram, if that doesn't work then its a change of meds to venflafaxine...anyone on this, does it have any usefulness??
Hey,
I have been on Venlafaxine for a while now and I find it's better than Flouxetine, that I previously took. I've had minor side effects. The only problem I find with it is that when you miss a dose the next day you get brain shivers, which isn't painful but slightly annoying.

I am no longer depressed due to Effexor :)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Me too, I've been on themax dose for about two years now (and lower doses for longer than that). Ven and a cocktail of other drugs and ECT finally lifted the veil of depression for me though I have had bad times since none have been as shattering as before.

I also get the brain shivers or brain zaps if I miss a dose and I also feel pretty spaced out. I once had a weekend break where I forgot all of my meds and it was pretty un-pleasant but overall it's definitely been worth it (though my pdoc is starting to talk about coming off the meds gradually so I'll have to see what that's like.

Good luck!

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
What is the max dose for this? I'm on 150mg at night and 75mg in the morning and though I felt it was working for a while, the last few weeks have been a bit of nightmare. Sorry Simon for the hijack, but you might be interestested in that too:)

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
As others have said, what works for one won't necessarily work for another. I took venlafaxine for a few months but it didn't work for me personally. I was worried about going on it because, as quality factor said, I had read that it can be difficult to come off - but I changed to another AD and came off venlafaxine in a few days. Felt quite strange for a few days but it wasn't too bad. Don't know what it would be like to come off it altogether though, i.e stop all medication.

I hope it works for you if that's what you decide to do.

emski

emski

I got put on venlafaxine and had quite a few side effects including the zaps, tremors (really severe on waking), yawning etc. Plus it induced a mixed episode in me. However this is in bipolar and I know a few peoplpe with major depression who it has helped immensely, though I believe it is a bugger to come off (I only ever got to 75mg and was taken off it so that didn't affect me)

emski

emski

What is the max dose for this? I'm on 150mg at night and 75mg in the morning and though I felt it was working for a while, the last few weeks have been a bit of nightmare. Sorry Simon for the hijack, but you might be interestested in that too:)
I think 225mg but some psychiatrists go even as high as 375mg if they can closely monitor the patient (i.e. as inpatient)

keepsafe

keepsafe

I'm on 300mg Ven, hope its not too bad to come off - not that I will be coming off it any time soon

B

Bippidee

I have been on it before. As others have said, coming off it is horrible, even if done very slowly. Even missing 1 dose made me feel bad, and more than that would make me feel really quite ill. It didn't help me, but it does seem to be good for quite a few people. There is no med that will help everyone unfortunately - it just comes down to trial and error.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I was on 225mg, the "doctors' bible" ie British National Formulary says a max of 375mg.

SimonB

SimonB

Thanks for your feedback guys.....its going to be an interesting several weeks I can see....

Well all I can do is trial a higher dose of citalopram, and if that doesn't help I'll go onto venlafaxine....we'll see:unsure:

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

How much citalopram are you on at the moment?