Venlafaxine

C

cally75

Hi all.
Hope everyone's well?

My question today.
So my 'online gp' from babylon (brilliant doctors but you gotta pay!) decided to put me on venlafaxine.

Anyone any experience good or bad of taking this? I can't get my script til maybe tuesday.

Just wanna know what people think? I'm changing from my mirtrazapine hoping that will help me better.

Appreciate any comments
Peace xx

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Venlafaxine is a horrible drug,it is meant to be an anti depressant,made me more depressed,it also numbed my emotions I felt frozen empty inside,like a walking zombie.Horrible drug.I was on it for four years,the psyche doc allowed me to discontinue it whilst in hospital under his supervision,I had been admitted for psychosis anyway!When I stopped it I started to feel again I felt better immediately.

C

cally75

Can i ask mate..what were u diagnosed with before? I think it's wrong to assume that because it didn't work for u, it won't work for others!

megirl

megirl

Venlafaxine was the first anti-depressant i was put on. It did help, and i am still on it. It helped a bit it didnt get me out of the depression but my pdoc seemed to think it did help my mood, so yes i am still on it. I didnt have any negative side-effects but i would not recommend to stop taking it unless under close medical supervision
And as we are all unique different meds work differently for each person

C

cally75

Venlafaxine was the first anti-depressant i was put on. It did help, and i am still on it. It helped a bit it didnt get me out of the depression but my pdoc seemed to think it did help my mood, so yes i am still on it. I didnt have any negative side-effects but i would not recommend to stop taking it unless under close medical supervision
And as we are all unique different meds work differently for each person
Thanks hun
Yes it's same with any meds. You go mad if u read those information leaflets! Endless list of possible side effects. Can't say i get any on my mirtrazapine except weird dreams! I can handle that though!

megirl

megirl

Yes likewise with mirtazapine I was also on this once alongside the venlafaxine and yeh the mirtazapine did cause me to have bizzare dreams. For me the mirtazepine seemed to not make any difference but I do know that it does often work really well alongside venlafaxine for depression
As an ex-nurse although i dont have a lot of experience in regards to psych drugs all drugs have possible side-effects but they arent that common (i dont think)

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Cally

I have been on venlafaxine and mirtazapine in the past, both at once.

I have heard that venlafaxine helps a lot of people, I think it is worth trying as it affects everyone differently.

It didn't help my depression, but I am resistant to drugs and tend to have bad side effects. (With venlafaxine I had an unusual one - stupor, so I was stuck on my bed in a kind of trance state most of the time. Apparently that is a rare side effect.) it is an unpleasant drug to come off because of withdrawal effects. There are ways of minimising these.

(I also had strange dreams with mirtazapine - mine were wonderful, very exciting, every night was an adventure! Didn't help my depression much, but later diagnosis changed to schizoaffective disorder and many antidepressants don't work if there is bipolar aspect.)

C

cally75

Yes likewise with mirtazapine I was also on this once alongside the venlafaxine and yeh the mirtazapine did cause me to have bizzare dreams. For me the mirtazepine seemed to not make any difference but I do know that it does often work really well alongside venlafaxine for depression
As an ex-nurse although i dont have a lot of experience in regards to psych drugs all drugs have possible side-effects but they arent that common (i dont think)
Hey hey.
I've a degree in psychology!
You wouldn't think so but yeah that's true.

Gp hates me cos i diagnose myself & tell him wot meds i need! Hahaa!

C

cally75

Hi Cally

I have been on venlafaxine and mirtazapine in the past, both at once.

I have heard that venlafaxine helps a lot of people, I think it is worth trying as it affects everyone differently.

It didn't help my depression, but I am resistant to drugs and tend to have bad side effects. (With venlafaxine I had an unusual one - stupor, so I was stuck on my bed in a kind of trance state most of the time. Apparently that is a rare side effect.) it is an unpleasant drug to come off because of withdrawal effects. There are ways of minimising these.

(I also had strange dreams with mirtazapine - mine were wonderful, very exciting, every night was an adventure! Didn't help my depression much, but later diagnosis changed to schizoaffective disorder and many antidepressants don't work if there is bipolar aspect.)
Lucky you!
My dreams are usually horrific. Sure my life's just messed up in general lol! x

megirl

megirl

I do have to admit that well my dreams were at times horrific nightmares, but well its about weighing up the pros and cons. I wake up and can work through the nightmares and just try to push them out of my head