• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Venlafaxine doseage and how long to work?

D

duncanw

Hi all

I've been taking Venlafaxine now for approx 8 weeks after suffering a relapse in my depression. Although I've noticed an improvement I still don't feel good and am still having suicidal thoughts. The Venlafaxine was increased from 225mg to 300mg 5 days ago. I know it can take quite few weeks for this medication to work but is it still too early for the increased dose to have had any affect?

thanks

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi ... I dont take venlafaxine but just wondered weather you were getting any other support with how you are feeling than an increase in medication? It been proven that drug therapy alone is not the most effective way of treating depression especially reacurring depression and that a comibantion with other treatments is. Such as talking therepy scuh as CBT, Psychotherepy or counselling?

D

duncanw

Thanks for the reply.

I did start some sessions, CBT I presume, but the counsellor never said what it was called. He asked about my feelings etc and started compiling different diagrams etc. I was feeling rock bottom at the time and just couldn't cope at all, I hardly ate in a month, so I stopped going. My Psyc has recommended a book called 'Mind Over Mood' which is based on CBT but it's just so difficult tackling anything at the moment. I had thought that the Venlafaxine had started to work but maybe it was just natural recovery or the boost after seeing the Psyc and knowing something was being done to help me. I heard yesterday from work that my pay will be zero next month and I'm in danger of losing my job, hearing this has pushed me over the edge again. I'm single and living at home with my parents and have no debt so am lucky on that score.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Sorry you are having a bad time Duncan. Depression is a difficult disease and its course runs differently for each of us.There are alot of differnet meds and combinations of drugs treatments and it can take a while as I've found out to get it right.
Try not to worry about work as your health comesd first.
KP

N

Nutter_09

Hiya,

You seem to be in the same sort of situation as me.
Im 23 and still live at home, and take the same meds. I was also signed off work (Just been signed off for a month today) so have decided to hand in my notice. I will also recieve hardly any pay from them.

I am not sure about doses etc - mine are 150mg. I did feel better after a few weeks but have also become much lower in the last few weeks.
I agree that pills are not the only answer, but have not had any experience of councelling etc as yet.
Are you family/friends supportive?

D

duncanw

Thanks for the replies and support, I very much appreciate it. :)

Hi Nutter_09

Maybe you need to get your Venlafaxine increased as 150mg isn't particularly a high dose? I'm sure that many of us after being put on a new medication get a psychological boost which we can often mistake for thinking that the medication has started to work. I've been thinking of phoning my Psyc to see if she'll increase my dose to 375mg. ;) When I was on 150mg she asked if I would like to go up to 225mg :unsure: As if I was going to say no. :p I've been trawling the internet loads recently to see what the maximum permissible dose is and came across a guy in the US who is now on 600mg!!!

My family and friends are supportive and do care a lot just like yours do, I'm sure, but I do understand what it must be like from their point of view. Most people are uneducated and basically ignorant regarding mental illness but it doesn't mean that they don't care, they really just don't know what to say, especially if we've snapped back at them once or twice when they've been trying to help.

ps, wish you would change that username of yours as I'm sure that you're no nutter :rolleyes: I was going use something similar like 'looney' but I thought better of it. :)

Duncan

N

Nutter_09

Thanks Duncan,

I have an assesment with a Mental Health unit today so will ask. I have no idea about doses!

Also - I agree with the name, not figured out how to change it thou!! LOL

Jo1760

Jo1760

I have resently been perscribed venlafaxine, after having tried 3 previous A.D's. I hope these start to kick in soon, as so far the only thing I have is a constant feeling of nausea. I actually think i feel more depressed now than before, however i'm hoping this is just a phase and will pass.

I hope the Venlafaxine work for you.

X

D

duncanw

How long have you been on Venlafaxine and what's your present dosage?

Apparently you can feel worse before you start to feel better so you're spot on there. The side effects will wear off when your body gets used to the medication so hang in there, I've got no side effects what so ever now. Venlafaxine is working for me, I don't feel anyway near as bad as I did but I'm still having one or two small relapses so might try and get my dosage increased.

All the best

Duncan

Jo1760

Jo1760

How long have you been on Venlafaxine and what's your present dosage?

Apparently you can feel worse before you start to feel better so you're spot on there. The side effects will wear off when your body gets used to the medication so hang in there, I've got no side effects what so ever now. Venlafaxine is working for me, I don't feel anyway near as bad as I did but I'm still having one or two small relapses so might try and get my dosage increased.

All the best

Duncan
Hi Duncan,

I have only been on these for 3 weeks. am currently on 150mg per day. Had to start off on a low dose as i have had really bad reactions to other antidepressants tried in the past.
I'm glad to hear you have no side effects now, i'm hoping these will wear off for me soon too, i had been on 3 different types in the last six months and had bad experiences with 2 of them, so i'm hoping now these might do the trick. I hope they work well for you.

X

E

Emmy

I have been on Venlafaxine for years and take 150mg daily but every now and again things get bad and I have to up the dose. I have just upped it to 225mg but know that this new dose will take time (usually one to two weeks, but longer if I am very depressed) to kick in. Once I am feeling ok and have been ok for a few weeks I will drop back to 150mg.
I am lucky that I don't have a lot of side effects and I have never had to increase my dose to more then 225mg but I do worry that I will never be able to come off it. I have tried twice and had terrible panic attacks, which I have never had before and awful 'brain storms'. I can only describe these as like having a load of electrical impulses going off in your brain at one time.
I also soon found myself very depressed again so I do know they are working when I take them. I have also found myself getting depressed when I cut down to 75mg.

I hope your increased dosage starts to take effect soon.
Keep us update on how you are feeling.

D

duncanw

Hi everyone

Jo, You need to be patient but before you know it you'll find the tablets have started to do their stuff and you will start to feel good again. :)
When I first started on Venlafaxine, about 10 weeks ago, the side effects included a burning sensation in my lower abdomen, heavy arms and tightness in my chest (thought I might be having a heart attack :eek::p) and headaches, all of which have totally disappeared. Once I realised that they were just side effects because of the new medication, I started to relax and to simply accept them and now they've gone completely. (y)

Emmy, It's excellent that this medication is working for you, good stuff. :clap: Is your prescription for 150mg and if so, do you have a problem getting this prescription more often when you've upped your dose to 225mg and therefore have a greater requirement? The reason I'm asking is that I would like to up my dose to 375mg but I phoned my Psyc this morning and she's on holiday until next Wed, so I'm basically stuck as my GP refuses to sanction this increase saying that it needs to be done by a Psyc.

Thanks

Duncan

Q

quality factor

Hi, I've been on Venlafaxine for just over 12 years,I'm on a dose of 225mg.For about the past six months I've been getting ferocious sweats and 'electric shock' sensations in my head.
I spoke to my CPN this morning and was advised that side effects can appear late on...she had two other clients who had the same problems.
Recently I missed two days of taking this drug and the side effects of being without it were horrendous. I believe it can be difficult to come off Venlafaxine in some people.
Generally after taking quite a few different AD's over the years, venlafxine has proved to be the most effective for me.
QF.

Jo1760

Jo1760

Duncan,

thank you for your advice. It is very much appreciated. Have been jumping from one AD to another, it has really been a bit of a nightmare. I had incrediable allergic reaction to one, another made my anxity a million times worse and the 3rd just had no effect at all. I'll be so happy if these can finally be the ones to stick too. your right i'm sure the effect will subside soon, they can't last for ever......

I'm glad after 10 weeks your feeling better and many thanks again!!

Quality factor, It's good to hear from someone who has been on them longterm. I hope they continue to help your depression and the side effects are short lived.

Take care.
X

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Depression Forum 1
M Depression Forum 9