• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Values anxiety

Q

qwerty1234

Constantly afraid to live in accordance with my own values, too scared

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

Do you understand why you are scared? What might the consequences be?

Q

qwerty1234

Good questions. Well for example I feel small when i support things like the green party and other smaller parties no one has ever heard of like the peace and freedom party, and got used to mob rule growing up about who was voted into high school government and prom queen and so on, and it didn't seem to change that much even when I went to what I thought was a good school were I would find more intellectuals.

I have found a lot of people don't seem to know or care as much, don't seem to see the world in the way that I do. I don't support the military and I am as vegan as much as my dad allows me, I don't know why other people don't seem to care about the things I do and it scares me, I am scared of people and scared of getting hurt and mocked and not understood.

Q

qwerty1234

I was strongly bullied by my conservative boss at my last major job and it was awful

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

Well although it can be intimidating and isolating when your views and values are different to others, I think you should be proud of arriving at your own take on the world. In many respects, it can be more frightening not to live by your values - the risk is you lose your sense of authenticity and who you really are. I know it's not always easy to express different opinions to others, but at least you can feel at ease with yourself that way. One of my favourite quotes: "This above all, to thine own self be true" xx

Q

qwerty1234

Thank you. Meanwhile there's a lot of shame bullies out there.

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

There are, and there always will be. But stand firm to what you believe in, and you will find your own tribe who make you feel safe.