• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Valentines Day: is anyone else feeling anxious or depressed by this upcoming commercial event?

M

Mark101

Valentines Day: is anyone else feeling anxious or depressed by this upcoming commercial event?

With valentines Day this weekend here in the UK its all roses, cards, chocolates, mini breaks and meals out ...or is it?

I have very personal reasons for not celebrating this media fest, but from my anxiety standpoint I always felt ridiculously under pressure to go buy flowers then book a meal in a restaurant where loads of couples will be happily smiling and trying to out do one another.

Depression is a lonely beast. Anxiety is a ravenous wolf.

Lets not let this Valentines Day be a huge emotional bumfest, eh. :cry2:

Here's to us.:clap:

Mark

Mayfair

Mayfair

With valentines Day this weekend here in the UK its all roses, cards, chocolates, mini breaks and meals out ...or is it?

I have very personal reasons for not celebrating this media fest, but from my anxiety standpoint I always felt ridiculously under pressure to go buy flowers then book a meal in a restaurant where loads of couples will be happily smiling and trying to out do one another.

Mark
I just think that whether or not it's cheesy, ridiculous, media fest or promotional nonsense, I like that it brings lots of business to small businesses. Small flowershop businesses, restaurants, taxis, pubs etc., and that is all extra work for people. Shame it's fallen on a Saturday though, because other than flower shops, they all benefit from this already, so it just makes things busier when it would be better on a weekday.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Mark

sorry, just read my response and realised I missed the point...

bold: if you felt like that, it was most likely not the right partner.

M

Mark101

I'm always anxious eating out and rarely enjoy it. Crowded restaurants make me feel panicky and self conscious.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I'm always anxious eating out and rarely enjoy it. Crowded restaurants make me feel panicky and self conscious.
I don't like eating out either for similar reasons, and almost never enjoy it. It's just not my thing.

Crowded restaurants sounds even worse than just eating out!

A partner who you are familiar with each other would mean you had this knowledge, and if they are a 'couple-type outgoing-foody' type person, then it's unlikely that it would have lasted long enough to be considered a real relationship.

-

It's all about that. For example, if I knew that they liked going out for food but happy doing it with others normally, then perhaps go out the night before instead. You won't pay the inflated prices, but more importantly it will most likely be quiet, not rushed, and you can chill and enjoy it too.

If someone is skint and can't afford to spend money on going out, BUT you know that they like the Valentine's thing, then just think of things that they like but normally take them effort, and do it for them.

Perhaps run a bath for when they come home from work, light some candles and remove the natural light, and perhaps take them a drink that they like most. Wine, Hot choc, whatever.

Then have a meal cooked, and put on their favourite film on DVD, whether you like it or not. (I would probably have to find some common ground film or otherwise I would find this part intolerable and too much!:LOL:)

:)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im working from 9am til 6pm the next day haha. Good thing I think the days a farse!

F

fair&square75

I don't like valentines esp a one associated with Friday the 13th,its not that I'm greedy or uncaring but something bad happened to me that pretty much got me with my issues today,so they can stick their valentines where the sun don't shine lol a I loathe Friday 13th,too much bad stuff has happened for me on this day,maybe coincidence but makes me very superstitious...i sound like a right grumpy mare lol

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
13's my number, I used it in school as my team number lol
Nothing like a bit of Irony.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
We are not doing it, I am so done with all this commercial crap, Christmas was bad enough. Anyway I have a cold atm so true love is not passing it on to my beloved, who has chronic sinus problems.

T

TheRedStar

I hate it... December-February 14th feels like a sustained assault reminding me of how resolutely single and unwanted I am (first there's Christmas, then my birthday in January, and finally Valentine's Day). I'm sick of being bombarded with tomorrow without asking for or inviting it... yes, other people have relationships and sex, I'm already well aware of that, so STOP FU*KING RUBBING IT IN MY FU*KING FACE - FU*K OFF!

It's bullsh*t anyway... if you really love someone you show it every day of the year, not on one particular day under emotional duress from people who are trying to coerce money from you.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't like eating in public or being in crowded places, so I understand that anxiety.
You shouldn't let that stop you from celebrating though - that is if you want to celebrate. Chances are, most people aren't even looking at you.
If they're not talking to someone, they're probably on their mobile phone.
It's hard to get past that "spotlight effect" that anxiety has - that feeling everyone is looking at you and judging you - but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh and I know this is a bit of an aside, but do I sound like a cow if I say that even if I had a boyfriend, i'd still find the whole Valentine's Day thing extremely embarrassing?:LOL:

M

Mark101

She has just told me not to buy a card or anything as she hasn't bothered. I was gonna buy a card as I still love her and always will, despite us going through a seperation. No worries, I guess.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

rainbowwwa

Last edited:
M

MYTIMEHASCOME

fuck valentines day

im just gonna chill in the bath playing 'battleship' with anything that floats - rubber ducks - shampoo bottles - the works! X