• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

using food / diet to self harm?

cherish

cherish

I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder but i do binge eat for months at a time ( even food i don't like ) i put on between 5 to 6 stones and then i crash diet for months, i have just lost 5 stone AGAIN and i know it's only a matter of time before i start to binge again, it has only recently occurred to me that this might be self harm as when i am denying myself food i tend to self harm less.
I have done this from the age of 12 and was just wondering if anyone else uses food /diet as a way to self harm?.
I didn't want to post this in the eating disorders thread as i would feel like a fraud posting there.:redface:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I know my eating habits are absolutely terrible.
But I can't say that i'm consciously doing it to self-harm.
My bulimic episodes definitely are self-harm though.

It's a complex subject, isn't it?

Sorry that everyone here struggles this way.

It's so hard with food, because it's something you need to live. With any other kind of addiction, you could in theory never have to touch whatever substance you're addicted to ever again.. but food? There's no escaping an unhealthy relationship to it. :unsure:

Rowan

Rowan

It's so hard with food, because it's something you need to live. With any other kind of addiction, you could in theory never have to touch whatever substance you're addicted to ever again.. but food? There's no escaping an unhealthy relationship to it. :unsure:
Yes, I have thought the same SS.

B

BAGGPUSS

Hi Cherish I hope your ok, I have used food and crash dieting plus excessive excersize as self harm.

anyway this thread is not about me.

I just wanted to say I hope you can stay a healthy weight and it is actually a good sign that you have insight into the pattern of weight gain and weight loss and why it may be happening.

I wish you well and I hope you can keep to a safe weight. :hug5:

A hug for everyone one else :hug5:

Last edited:
cherish

cherish

Thanks to everyone who replied:flowers:
Baggpuss ( one of my favorite childhood tv shows 31erkeG4EFL.jpg ) i started this thread because i wanted to know about everyone else and their experiences with self harm and food so this thread is about you and i thank you for being honest and making me feel less alone xxx

B

BAGGPUSS

its good we can all talk cherish, what would we do without the Tinternet! :)

fanks for the thread.

you could smell the moff balls watching BaggPuss it twoz great!!!!:Dbagpuss.jpg

cherish

cherish

Yes the tinternet or interweb as my mum calls it is great, i could never talk about these things with a doctor or even my own family so it has become a real life line for me, it's one thing to read about self harm and mental health problems on wikipedia but it is so much more helpful to speak to people who really know whats it's like.
I'm going to youtube bagpuss now
aaah memories.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yes, decades of binge eating, to comfort, numb, harm, hide, complicated, but def a form of sh for me x Am sorry so many struggle, hate that there is so little support for this issue.

N

Noetic

Interesting, I never really considered myself to be self-harmer, but based on what has been said here I guess there's a chance I might be. I do binge when I'm feeling upset; and then I'll fast for longer than I should. I also used to exercise excessively.

D

diabolicalme

Defo serves the same purpose for me, the numbing of emotions & thoughts. I'm in treatment right now (DBT - type of cognitive behavioural therapy) & in this therapy the EDs, along with alcohol, drug abuse...are all forms of self harm, they're all taking you away from the nasties you can't cope with but in a temporary damaging way.

I'd wondered this for years - so many behaviours have the same pattern, purpose, effects and are self-damaging ways of coping, are addictive, repetitive short term fixes ... and are all really other forms of SH. Had good confirming chat about this with my psych when I started the DBT prog and they do see it that way too.

In DBT though they treat your behaviours within a hierarchy, and obviously suicide attempts are the most serious and threatening to you participating in the prog. But 2nd on the list of serious life threatening behaviours is SH. Then others like EDs. I don't agree with this as I've nearly killed myself with extreme bingeing, lax abuse etc. (it is more complicated and dangerous for me as I have had Type 1 diabetes for many years) and sometimes I really think my ED behaviour is much much more of a self harming, life-threatening behaviour to me during a particular week of keeping my diary card, than say, what I may have done to myself in other SH ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diabolicalme

Been thinking about this even more since I posted...I was thinking 'but EDs (for me anyway) ARE different cos there's a big big element of how much I hate my body linked in with why I do them', but then I was imagining how I feel when I SH and I realised it's also about lack of respect for, hatred of my body too, as it's a direct attack on it. Interesting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Self Harm Forum 3