• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Using computing to simplify Psychiatric data

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

In the example below, I am demonstrating how computing concepts can be used to simplify a lot of data in the Psychiatric industry. The below table was generated after cross referencing data from different Symptomatic and Diagnostic data inside and outside of the Psychiatry industry. I was able to simplify, group and arrange some of the over-complication.

First photo shows the form before selecting Auditory Hallucination:

1589675755731.png

Second photo shows what happens after I select Auditory Hallucination:

1589675811431.png

I gathered from this (opinion) that what is happening in diseases such as Bipolar and Schizophrenia are that they are simply manifestations of injuries into different human sensory systems due to different causes. I concluded this to be the case by using "Auditory Hallucination" as an example. As you can see "Auditory Hallucination" triggers many diagnoses in and outside of Psychiatry. The same thing happens with mania. It would be beneficial to consider a holistic approach with treatment which is evidenced by the fact that both sleep hyigene and gut health both benefit conditions such as Bipolar and Schizophrenia.

The basic point i'm trying to get across is that by simplifying things treatment can become easier and clearer.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Just to clarify all the items in the condition column are illnesses which can have Auditory Hallucinations. I made that form myself using some basic database technology.

B

Black Despondency

I feel like I would just get a giant list of possible disorders. I think the descriptions of most medical symptoms to be too vague and to have very few nuances to attempt to separate different conditions from each other. Having multiple conditions with overlapping symptoms can make diagnosing a condition very difficult if you don't look at how the symptoms very between each condition.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I feel like I would just get a giant list of possible disorders. I think the descriptions of most medical symptoms to be too vague and to have very few nuances to attempt to separate different conditions from each other. Having multiple conditions with overlapping symptoms can make diagnosing a condition very difficult if you don't look at how the symptoms very between each condition.
I am working on something but without going through the DSM. My model is based on the base sensory systems of the human being. From there attributing the varying disturbances to those sensory systems. It's so much more simpler. I may have simplified things a lot and I'll post an example asap. I know this might seem technical but it just seems so logical and common sense. I had to make these data tables. I'm getting more confident about my research. I don't know why Psychiatry hasn't embraced information technology?

The DSM doesn't seem natural and is overcomplicated in my opinion.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

By the way if anyone is interested the entity relationship model from computing or the object oriented thought process also from computing follows the natural world and could probably give you a More natural diagnostic reflection of disease management than the DSM.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Here is another example of computing based simplification. In this case I am using the object oriented thought process using elements of a class diagram.

1589696281173.png

In the above image, I have demonstrated how a specific human ailment (Social Atrophy/Anxiety) has derived from a more general/abstract ailment (HumanDisturbance). I have replaced Social Anxiety with something more relative to the natural world and called it "Social Atrophy" to highlight it's similarity to how muscles atrophy when not used. Both conditions Social Anxiety and Muscular loss are treated through healthy challenges. In the case of Social Anxiety it is exposure therapy. In the case of muscle loss it is resistance training.

As this models the natural world I assumed it to be more certain in accuracy as a Diagnostic reflection of Psychiatric ailments. Simpler, closer to nature and promotes clarity which can support treatment quality and understanding.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Here is another example of simplification of Psychiatry using computing.

1. First below I select one of the sensory systems of the human essence. In this case I am selecting the Emotional sensory system.

1589701471002.png

2. Then shown below is the resulting second menu filled with Psychiatric disturbances attributed or associated with the emotional sensory system.

1589701610609.png

The basic method I am using of simplification is a method used with many things in life and which can even be seen in the natural world. The principles of Generalization and specification and their relationships.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

One related to schizophrenia:

1589701837314.png

I think what I am doing might be more digestible and easier to understand as opposed to the over-complication in the DSM possibly by even overriding labels and making some redundant with more clarified classification that is closer to reality. Time will tell though.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Here is another example of computing based simplification. In this case I am using the object oriented thought process using elements of a class diagram.

View attachment 20670

In the above image, I have demonstrated how a specific human ailment (Social Atrophy/Anxiety) has derived from a more general/abstract ailment (HumanDisturbance). I have replaced Social Anxiety with something more relative to the natural world and called it "Social Atrophy" to highlight it's similarity to how muscles atrophy when not used. Both conditions Social Anxiety and Muscular loss are treated through healthy challenges. In the case of Social Anxiety it is exposure therapy. In the case of muscle loss it is resistance training.

As this models the natural world I assumed it to be more certain in accuracy as a Diagnostic reflection of Psychiatric ailments. Simpler, closer to nature and promotes clarity which can support treatment quality and understanding.
I would just like to add, I think the above demonstrates an example of existing Psychiatric diagnostic classification refinement, enrichment or possibly even signs of eventual redundancy occuring. The terms "Social Anxiety" are too broad and vague. The president can get socially anxious. People get socially anxious going to a job interview but none of these indicate an actual problem. "Social Phobia or "Disorder" are closer to an actual ailment or problem. I found it interesting to use "Social Atrophy" though as there is an interlinking of the natural world being demonstrated which then encourages comptemplation (deeper quality thinking into the nature of the ailment). One benefit of using the word "Atrophy" in the classification is that it has hints as to the solution in it. Which is to face healthy stress/challenges (exposure therapy).

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

There are some good points there. I think it also depends on your personal predisposition. Everyone is different so the way our symptoms manifest may be experienced differently. Although we all generally have the same sensory systems. I feel Psychiatry doesn't acknowledge the fact that everyone is as unique as a snow flake and that is what is contributing to the over-complication.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

In the example below, I am demonstrating how computing concepts can be used to simplify a lot of data in the Psychiatric industry. The below table was generated after cross referencing data from different Symptomatic and Diagnostic data inside and outside of the Psychiatry industry. I was able to simplify, group and arrange some of the over-complication.

First photo shows the form before selecting Auditory Hallucination:

View attachment 20668

Second photo shows what happens after I select Auditory Hallucination:

View attachment 20669

I gathered from this (opinion) that what is happening in diseases such as Bipolar and Schizophrenia are that they are simply manifestations of injuries into different human sensory systems due to different causes. I concluded this to be the case by using "Auditory Hallucination" as an example. As you can see "Auditory Hallucination" triggers many diagnoses in and outside of Psychiatry. The same thing happens with mania. It would be beneficial to consider a holistic approach with treatment which is evidenced by the fact that both sleep hyigene and gut health both benefit conditions such as Bipolar and Schizophrenia.

The basic point i'm trying to get across is that by simplifying things treatment can become easier and clearer.
The above post may of been a bit confusing. There is no table data for the currently selected item in the first image (Mania). I just showed that image to show that I hadn't clicked Auditory Hallucination yet. The main focus was about the second image and how Auditory Hallucination is attributed with many Psychiatric diagnoses which is evidence of over-complication. There needs to be decoupling to get to root problems. It sounds contradictory otherwise and naturally gives evidence as to why the epidemic may be rising.

Put simply: To treat, you must know the problem. How can you focus on a problem if overlapping symptoms are scattered all over many diagnoses.