• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Using a friend's voice in thought

Mr.NiceGuy

Mr.NiceGuy

What voice do you use when you think? Could you be reading this in your head in the voice of Tom Brokaw? I found in my exploring of intentionally using different voices to think that I already do that a lot. I sometimes use the voice of a hippy female friend I have when I have a sarcastic thought. Different voices will inspire me to use inflections in different ways which changes the way I feel. Using the voice of a friend to express something in your head implies different meaning to your thoughts. I find its when involuntary voices start yelling my thoughts back to me that I start getting dragged down the rabbit hole again.

A fun game to play that effects emotion is to pretend one voice you make is a chopper that flies around to people and the voice in your head is your conscious thought.

Z

Zoe1

I suppose because sometimes I will think what one person would say
and think oh so and so would say this
and I will remember their tone of voice

I used to listen to inspiring tapes by popular psychologists
( not regular psychologists )
those tapes were very uplifting

mainly those by Louise Hay
I would play them over and over
until they became part of my thoughts

:grouphug: 🎼 🍀🐢

Mr.NiceGuy

Mr.NiceGuy

I suppose because sometimes I will think what one person would say
and think oh so and so would say this
and I will remember their tone of voice

I used to listen to inspiring tapes by popular psychologists
( not regular psychologists )
those tapes were very uplifting

mainly those by Louise Hay
I would play them over and over
until they became part of my thoughts

:grouphug: 🎼 🍀🐢
Yes! It is usually in the voice of friends and co workers that I've spent many of hundreds of hours around. If I have a decision to make like drive and see if a store is open, when I'm pretty sure it isn't, my thoughts might start barking at me in the voice of my old friend that was always uppity and full of spirit. I think the friends and bosses who were friendliest to me tend to be the one's who are welcome as a voice to my thoughts.