• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

urges coming back with a vengeance

N

Nirvana~

Hello interwebs!
Im new to this site and thisll be my first post,im not sure how to do these things so bear with me.
So ive been diagnosed with bipolar disorder with psychotic features. As a means of coping or following non exsistant commands i turned first to self harm. Its been a long road,but a good four or five months ago i had stopped. There were urges here and there but i toughed them out. Recently theyve been more intense especially now sinse i was swung into a depressive faze. I dont know how much energy i have left before i give in.

Anybody experience this..?

If so,is there anything you did thats helped you through..?

Thanks so much xoxo

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey and :welcome: to the forum.

Those thoughts can get really intense but you are seeing how strong they are and trying to fight them.

I don't know whether you know of many distractions?

One thing you can do is treat yourself to something nice, to make your senses pick up something nice.

It's so, so hard to fight the urges, especially when they are so, so intense. With how you usually self harm, can you put what you may use somewhere out of reach, like the top of a high cupboard so it is extremely hard to reach?

Marliee x

N

Nirvana~

Hey,thanks for answering. Those are some pretty good things you brought up,ill give it a try. Thanks again

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Keep us updated and please shout if you really feel you have to do it. xxx

calypso

calypso

Admin
Marlieebee is right about positive things, but don't try to block the thoughts, that makes them much stronger. The key is to notice them and then tell them, like they are a person, that you can hear and feel them, but you are busy at the moment. What I do is imagine I have written them on a piece of paper and put them in a pile.

Then think of something you really like, eg chocolate, or in my case, perfume. If you choose the chocolate, you mustn't just munch through a bar, you take one square, smell it, touch it, look closely at it, then lick it and slowly, put it on your tongue. Concentrate on the experience, and if the thoughts recur, just tell them you are a little busy right now and then eat the piece slowly.

Its not just diverting your thoughts, its also replacing them with a positive experience. It won't just work like that. It takes lots of practise and doing it over and over. Vary the nice experience, so your brain doesn't just get used to it. You have to change the rut your mind is in and create a new one. Its not nearly as easy as I make it out to be, but slowly, it does work.

By the way, I am diagnosed with bipolar and have psychotic episodes too. I have also self harmed and have scars, but I worked hard on this and it worked. Look up mindfulness too. Its not meditation, as some think it is. Hugs honey. xxx

N

Nirvana~

Hey,thanks for the post Calypso
Ive begun reading up on mindfulness
And i think its worth a try
Its a way of deeper enjoyment of things
From my understanding
And honestly who wouldnt wanna further enjoy chocolate
xoxo