• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

urgently need help for my mum

4mymum

i have come on here to find any help advice as feel like im banging my head on a wall,

my mum has bi ploar and has been diagnosed and on medication since around the age of 17 (shes now in her late 50's) she has spend 6 years in a nursing home periods in hospiatlals ( one was over a year)aswell as checking herself in to other places as respite when she was feeling suicidle,,,,,
up untill 4 years ago she had a regular cpn but then moved....
she had been fairly stable at times but now swings rapidly from high to low im talking a matter of hours..... on friday she spent the day with me and was fine, fri eve she called my sister saying she was going to stab her husband then herself.

she has been suicidle a number oftimes over past months to the point of writing suicide notes to all of us ( she has 5 children) her marriage of 1 year is volitile which doesnt help.. after nagging for support and being told there were no cpns who cover where we live she did see a physcyatrist last year to do with her medication ( she has a million differendt beived side effexts currently) she saw him 3 times last year then was discharged as deemed stable so up untill that and since she has had no support with her bi ploar, today we saw a mental health nurse who we tried to explain how seriously something needs to be done, she would NOT refer her to the team that deals with the cpns (now we know they do exsist here ) and wants her to go for a medication review to see if that changes things where as i am sure regardless of changing her meds she still needs a cpn and a hell of a more support than she is getting, i dont feel waiting a nother fwe weeks for this medication apt then probably being told to go of and see how the change to medication works before re looking into refering her for some support is ok.

i dont know if anyone can offer support or advice but i dont know what else to do . i have called her gp several times now over this and the only reason she got the apt today is because i insisted on it even then she waited nearly a month for it.

i am worried to say the least because of the amount of suicidle thoughts she has been having, her husband isnt overly helpful he tells her to sod off upstairs and get on with it . i dont unerstand how someone who has been badly up and down for all these years can just be deemed stable and kicked off the list of support like this.

HELP!!!!

Last edited:
mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi 4mymum

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

How does your mum feel about the situation she is in?

The following section on our website outlines some of the basics regarding getting help Mental Health Forum | Talk with people who know what it’s like

A local advocacy organisation may be able to help your mother access the support she needs.

The Direct Gov website has a lot of helpful information for carers on the following page: Welcome to GOV.UK You may be able to contact a local carers organisation which will know about local services.

I'm sure lots of forum members will be making lots of other suggestions!

4mymum

she is desperate for help :cry:

i just do not know how in 4 years they can go from her having had a lifetime of fairly reasonable support to the point where if she mised a apt then her cpn would know there was something up and make a visit......

the list of side effects is unreal facial grimacing hair falling out lost 5 stone in past year she practically can not see as has problems with her eyes and can not leave the house alone as cant see enough to walk anywhere...and a about a million other things on top of those....high libido never sleeps doesnt eat on and on and on..

i feel guitly as she visits me weekly and up untill a month or so ago didnt know how desperate she was.... i have four kids the edest is severly disabled and the youngest is 10 months so have a lot on my plate so she hasnt wanted to bother me with all of this so at least now i know how bad things are i can try to help in some way.
i will have a proper look around on here later when i can stop and sit down properly

rhian

4mymum

even my dad has been ringing me up tp try and help...... he spent years and years fighting for her to get the help she needed,, i spent my life visitng her when she was in and out of hospitals andrespite etc and even tho they dont have a great relationship now they are amicable and he called melast night asking how the apt went.... he cant believe that seeing as were 20 odd years down the line since he was having to deal with all this things seem just as bad for getting the support you need!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sorry can you tell im frustrated :scared:

C

Charlie123

hello

Is your mum on a CCTO?

M

mr me myself and b

hello you, i am an expert by no means, but I have lived with my wife who has rapid cycling bipolar 1 for 10 years. i think you need some support asap and definitely a change of meds, what works for one dosent work for another. and with the no cpn rubbish, challenge it to the hilt, the nhs has to provide support, plus with the new choose and book system you can tell the doctor you want an appointment with a cpn for support, which i think is the the first and most important step in the road to a more stable life, also I think that her husband needs to research the condition more, as a partner who has a mental condition, means that you have to learn to support and adjust to make everyones life happier, more stable and enjoyable.
keep your chin up, and remember to look after you too.

C

Charlie123

Good advice above! You have gotta keep the chin up. Give my lawyer a call, he is a young solicitor who is like a dog with a bone in these cases!

Last edited by a moderator: