• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

URGENT - Money struggle

N

Nutter_09

Can anyone offer any advice PLEASE - just been to the shop and my card declined. I am now £940 overdrawn with no income and no benefits as yet.
I have severe depression and have been signed off since April. My family are not supportive and am now in serious trouble.
I was told by a doc to get advice from citizens advice which I will do but I am soo worried now.
I have been silly, I know but I have just had the "I don't give a s**T attitude"
What should I do???

jax

jax

Hi. I am afraid that I am in the same situation. Mine was a massive overspend into the 5 figures during a manic episode. The only advice I can give you it to go to your local CAB. Take all your bills and prepare a note giving all your out goings and your in-comings. Write down everything. Food, gas, electric - even cigarettes.

Cab will take all of this information and write to the people you owe debts to and offer a payment plan based on your outgoing and incoming money.

Oh, I see you have mentioned CAB already. Definitely make an appointment with them. It will ease your mind if you have a payment plan that you can afford, in place.

Good luck.
Jacqui :hug:

N

Nutter_09

Thanks.
I didn't think they would be able to help me.
The only trouble is I have no incomings at all. I have my car loan, house rent and money for petrol and fags.

I can't believe I have been so stupid.

Thanks again - Will find my local CAB 2moz.

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I agree, definitely worthwhile making an appointment with someone at CAB. I'm pretty sure they would be able to help and/or point you in the direction of people who can.

The CCCS (consumer credit counselling service) might also be a good point of call. I know they help a lot of people who are experiencing financial difficulties.

dib4uk

dib4uk

AWww i wish that I could help you a bit more.

Sorta in the same situation myself- but are you claiming benefits?

Nutter- first thing you can do though is change your bank account, that what I did, and i know then when i eventually do get my beneifts it wont be to the same bank.

Even if your on benefits theres special accounts that you can open just for that, and even if you have no formal identification theres accounts for you as well.

Overdrafts etc add to the worry and stress- i myself couldnt afford to pay of my overdraft and then i asked for some more and they gave it to me.

But yes the CAB, Mind who might help you with benefits and advice and other sort of stuff like debt etc.

Good luck.:)

M

mebiscuitsinmebrew

the CAB are amazing saint like people. Justs give them as much info as you can and they will get in contact with whoever you owe money to and will do as much as they can to help.

they got my sister out of a very tricky situation a few years back. best of luck!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hows it going Nutter_09?

N

Nutter_09

Thanks for all the replies.
Still in a struggle and well over £1000 now.
I am still going through the benefits. I didn't know I had to have a medical certificate thou so been back to the docs, then their was gaps etc so taking ages.
I will def call up my local CAB and make an app. I'm still feeling very depressed and am having trouble at home. Its all just so frustrating.