• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Upset when the scale goes up

Faith198

Faith198

It also makes me realize that I am more than just a body and how I look. I need to take my focus off of that and put it into other things that would make me confident in myself

M

Mary26

this is really great advice, thank you for sharing. I love your approach to it, I feel like that would really help me. I wouldn’t have a lot of time to fixate on my body. I will look into this 😊
I hope it helps! xx

J

Jassy1981

I don’t know whether I have an eating disorder or not I just figured I should put my post under this subject. Basically I get really sad when I feel I can’t count my calories. I have reached the weight I am comfortable with (I still don’t care for how I look that much) but I have been maintaining this weight by eating my maintenance calories. When I can’t count my calories and weigh my food, I get really scared and upset with myself. I ordered out today for the first time in a while and I can’t really estimate how much they gave me.

I’m worried I’ll wake up tomorrow, see the scale go up, and go into a bad place.
is it all in my head that I’m gonna suddenly put some fat on tomorrow? I know it’s ridiculous but it really makes me upset.
Hi it dont sound ridiculous at all,i suffer with anorexia was diagnosed when i was 16 im now 38 and still struggle even that bad i have admission monday and what you have said about your feeling and food is the exact same way i feel when my scales go up or after iv eaten this is a verry horrible feeling i feel so horrible and angry with myself feel i shouldn't have eat that ect i think you need to speak to somebody about how you are feeling and get support as soon as you can

Faith198

Faith198

Hi it dont sound ridiculous at all,i suffer with anorexia was diagnosed when i was 16 im now 38 and still struggle even that bad i have admission monday and what you have said about your feeling and food is the exact same way i feel when my scales go up or after iv eaten this is a verry horrible feeling i feel so horrible and angry with myself feel i shouldn't have eat that ect i think you need to speak to somebody about how you are feeling and get support as soon as you can
thank you so much and I’m really sorry you go through that as well. It really gets to me sometimes. I go through phases where it is worse. Tbh it is bothering me rn. I will mention it to my therapist. I wish you the best and I hope you make a full recovery. I had a friend that suffered with it and he recovered, if that makes you feel any better :hug:

P

Purpleplum

Don't weigh yourself...it will drive you crazy. You do not know if it's water weight.

Go by how your clothes fit and throw out the scale.

G

george81

I don’t know whether I have an eating disorder or not I just figured I should put my post under this subject. Basically I get really sad when I feel I can’t count my calories. I have reached the weight I am comfortable with (I still don’t care for how I look that much) but I have been maintaining this weight by eating my maintenance calories. When I can’t count my calories and weigh my food, I get really scared and upset with myself. I ordered out today for the first time in a while and I can’t really estimate how much they gave me.

I’m worried I’ll wake up tomorrow, see the scale go up, and go into a bad place.
is it all in my head that I’m gonna suddenly put some fat on tomorrow? I know it’s ridiculous but it really makes me upset.
Wow Faith198, this is a lot like how I feel! I now count my calories and have a set amount of calories I can eat a day but I've lost a hell of a lot of weight and I know I look terrible but I don;t really care anymore. It feels reassuring to know I have a set amount of calories and in a time of a lot of stress and uncertainty I have a set thing I have control of. I get worried about foods that I don;t know the calorific content of too. I've just been put on Citalopram for depression but it was only a telephone consultation and the doctor doesn't know the extent of my weight loss so not sure if that will change if I have to go and make a face to face appointment. I know my BMI is not in the underweight category and my periods have become irregular but I don;t have any reason for really getting better. Please look after yourself and big hugs x

Faith198

Faith198

Wow Faith198, this is a lot like how I feel! I now count my calories and have a set amount of calories I can eat a day but I've lost a hell of a lot of weight and I know I look terrible but I don;t really care anymore. It feels reassuring to know I have a set amount of calories and in a time of a lot of stress and uncertainty I have a set thing I have control of. I get worried about foods that I don;t know the calorific content of too. I've just been put on Citalopram for depression but it was only a telephone consultation and the doctor doesn't know the extent of my weight loss so not sure if that will change if I have to go and make a face to face appointment. I know my BMI is not in the underweight category and my periods have become irregular but I don;t have any reason for really getting better. Please look after yourself and big hugs x
I’m so sorry :( you sound exactly like me. I have been eating at maintenance but I still hate myself. I too have a normal BMI, not underweight. My periods are irregular but idk if that’s because of me being on the pill. They were irregular even before the pill though so maybe not. Idk but yeah I’ll try to take care of myself and I hope you do too. I hope they can get you some help so you don’t feel that way.

It isn’t fun. I’m exhausted and already ate my calories for the day (ate the wrong stuff) and now it’s dinner time here I can’t eat or I’ll gain weight. I like being able to control it too.. idk it makes me feel proud of myself in a way. It’s sick. I just hate my body too.
I’m glad we could relate to each other but I do hope you get the treatment you need. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. I know what it’s like 😔 :hug:

P

Purpleplum

I’m so sorry :( you sound exactly like me. I have been eating at maintenance but I still hate myself. I too have a normal BMI, not underweight. My periods are irregular but idk if that’s because of me being on the pill. They were irregular even before the pill though so maybe not. Idk but yeah I’ll try to take care of myself and I hope you do too. I hope they can get you some help so you don’t feel that way.

It isn’t fun. I’m exhausted and already ate my calories for the day (ate the wrong stuff) and now it’s dinner time here I can’t eat or I’ll gain weight. I like being able to control it too.. idk it makes me feel proud of myself in a way. It’s sick. I just hate my body too.
I’m glad we could relate to each other but I do hope you get the treatment you need. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. I know what it’s like 😔 :hug:
You will not gain weight if you eat dinner. One day does not cause that. Please eat dinner.

Faith198

Faith198

You will not gain weight if you eat dinner. One day does not cause that. Please eat dinner.
I’ll be fine. I feel I can’t because I’ve already cheated a few days last week (went out had a few drinks+some food and couldn’t count calories)