• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Upset when the scale goes up

Faith198

Faith198

I don’t know whether I have an eating disorder or not I just figured I should put my post under this subject. Basically I get really sad when I feel I can’t count my calories. I have reached the weight I am comfortable with (I still don’t care for how I look that much) but I have been maintaining this weight by eating my maintenance calories. When I can’t count my calories and weigh my food, I get really scared and upset with myself. I ordered out today for the first time in a while and I can’t really estimate how much they gave me.

I’m worried I’ll wake up tomorrow, see the scale go up, and go into a bad place.
is it all in my head that I’m gonna suddenly put some fat on tomorrow? I know it’s ridiculous but it really makes me upset.

Faith198

Faith198

Also, sorry for the novel

Mario82

Mario82

Not a novel, that is a short post.

I get the same feelings if I see the scale go up, I feel guilty etc. I would say just consider the takeaway as a treat and don't beat yourself up about it. Weight is always fluctuating and it seems like you are a healthy weight anyway.

Faith198

Faith198

Not a novel, that is a short post.

I get the same feelings if I see the scale go up, I feel guilty etc. I would say just consider the takeaway as a treat and don't beat yourself up about it. Weight is always fluctuating and it seems like you are a healthy weight anyway.
I’m sorry you deal with that too, it’s not fun. Yeah I’ll try to think of it that way. I notice when I guilt myself I’ll go in a bad direction, it’s just I can’t always stop myself. I’ll look in the mirror the next morning and feel like I see it.

Mario82

Mario82

I’m sorry you deal with that too, it’s not fun. Yeah I’ll try to think of it that way. I notice when I guilt myself I’ll go in a bad direction, it’s just I can’t always stop myself. I’ll look in the mirror the next morning and feel like I see it.
Yeah it can be tough. I have a belly and stuff, I am what you would describe as husky although I am not huge or anything. I have a belly, wide waistline, wide shoulders and some moobs. I have actually stopped going on the scales now. I know I need to lose weight but find it too comforting to eat junk food. I need to change though.

I know what you mean about feeling like you see it in the mirror. And of course, with me and others and maybe you, the meds make us hungrier and cause weight gain. You're great the way you are though, don't change for anyone.

E

emmaleemochizuki

I get this feeling too but honestly it is just ED lying to you.

One day of not counting calories wouldn't really affect your weight.

Weight fluctuates everyday anyway.

Faith198

Faith198

Yeah it can be tough. I have a belly and stuff, I am what you would describe as husky although I am not huge or anything. I have a belly, wide waistline, wide shoulders and some moobs. I have actually stopped going on the scales now. I know I need to lose weight but find it too comforting to eat junk food. I need to change though.

I know what you mean about feeling like you see it in the mirror. And of course, with me and others and maybe you, the meds make us hungrier and cause weight gain. You're great the way you are though, don't change for anyone.
I’m sure you look fine and carry it well though Mario :)but yeah I’m definitely not perfect, everything goes to my hips so I feel kind of disproportionate. I feel like avoiding the scale sometimes but I feel I’m lying to myself if I do. Idk I’ll figure out. It’s nice to have reassurance when I feel my brain is fixated on certain things and I can’t get out of it.

Faith198

Faith198

I get this feeling too but honestly it is just ED lying to you.

One day of not counting calories wouldn't really affect your weight.

Weight fluctuates everyday anyway.
thanks for your input. Yeah I try to tell myself that but sometimes my brain will just completely take over lol

Mario82

Mario82

I’m sure you look fine and carry it well though Mario :)but yeah I’m definitely not perfect, everything goes to my hips so I feel kind of disproportionate. I feel like avoiding the scale sometimes but I feel I’m lying to myself if I do. Idk I’ll figure out. It’s nice to have reassurance when I feel my brain is fixated on certain things and I can’t get out of it.
Thanks, been told I look kinda a cross between chubby and muscular and look good in a tank top.

If it goes to your hips it's not that bad as weight around the hips is a feminine feature. I wouldn't say you're lying to yourself avoiding the scale. It's just your illness convincing you of that.

Yeah I can certainly reassure you. You're definitely not overweight imo.

M

Mary26

Imagine for a moment that you had a magic wand and poof, your weight will be unchanged regardless of calories you consume. What would you do with all that mental energy you devote to your body and calories if that was no longer an issue?

Faith198

Faith198

Imagine for a moment that you had a magic wand and poof, your weight will be unchanged regardless of calories you consume. What would you do with all that mental energy you devote to your body and calories if that was no longer an issue?
that’s a great question. I guess I would just go about my life and try to enjoy everyday I’m given

M

Mary26

that’s a great question. I guess I would just go about my life and try to enjoy everyday I’m given
Okay, so if those intrusive thoughts are impacting your life in a negative way, maybe it would help to explore the underlying reasons?

Faith198

Faith198

Okay, so if those intrusive thoughts are impacting your life in a negative way, maybe it would help to explore the underlying reasons?
I feel like I know the underlying reasons, being overweight for most of childhood until now and I feel I still see it in the mirror even though I’m at a normal weight now. I just have trouble convincing myself that. I am also sort of a perfectionist, I have never been happy with myself no matter what. There’s always something I want to fix. I need to talk more about it it’s just my therapist left her job so I’ve been trying to find a new one.

M

Mary26

I feel like I know the underlying reasons, being overweight for most of childhood until now and I feel I still see it in the mirror even though I’m at a normal weight now. I just have trouble convincing myself that. I am also sort of a perfectionist, I have never been happy with myself no matter what. There’s always something I want to fix. I need to talk more about it it’s just my therapist left her job so I’ve been trying to find a new one.
Okay so I'll share some of what helped me in addition to addressing trauma in therapy. I tried to loosen the attachment to the ego self by strengthening the spiritual self and that can mean whatever works for you. For me, it meant doing serious spiritual work, which is not as "hippy dippie" as people think because it required discipline (I'm great at that) to contiuously observe where I was putting my attention and service (or volunteer work), which is a wonderful way to find meaning in something other than the physical body. I also think there's value in the AA model, particularly connecting with a higher power. Again, none of this is a replacement for therapy but it did open my awareness to finding value in myself beyond the physical body.

Faith198

Faith198

Okay so I'll share some of what helped me in addition to addressing trauma in therapy. I tried to loosen the attachment to the ego self by strengthening the spiritual self and that can mean whatever works for you. For me, it meant doing serious spiritual work, which is not as "hippy dippie" as people think because it required discipline (I'm great at that) to contiuously observe where I was putting my attention and service (or volunteer work), which is a wonderful way to find meaning in something other than the physical body. I also think there's value in the AA model, particularly connecting with a higher power. Again, none of this is a replacement for therapy but it did open my awareness to finding value in myself beyond the physical body.
this is really great advice, thank you for sharing. I love your approach to it, I feel like that would really help me. I wouldn’t have a lot of time to fixate on my body. I will look into this 😊