• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Upset Stomach Anxiety - anyone else experience this?

S

SchittsCreek21

Hi, I stumbled across this forum during a google search about having upset stomach anxiety - I have never heard anyone else speak about it and I struggle to think I could be the only one who suffers with this.

Long story short, I have generalised anxiety and I am on anti-depressants for this at present but well before being told I have anxiety I have always had issues with my stomach but there is no rhyme or reason. I used to take really bad stomachs a few years ago due to potentially having lactose intolerance and I was given Amytripyline to combat the cramping when I would have a sore stomach and it does okay up until now but I feel like I am almost back to square one. It feels like it could be just my anxiety causing me to be so anxious that it upsets my stomach (I am never sick with it, its just the other delightful part).

For as long as I can remember, I have had a fear of being out somewhere other than my home or other places I am comfortable (certain friends/families house) and ending up with an upset stomach alongside the cramps, sweats, light headedness etc. It isn't down to anything I am eating at all it can come out of nowhere and I think its just excess anxiety with nowhere to go.

However, this is causing me to limit what I do in my normal, I will cancel plans/not attend places if I don't feel comfortable being able to tell the company that I am in that I need to go to the bathroom (hypothetically, I go through all of the possibilities before I even get anywhere). I am on loperamide from the doctor alongside my anti-depressant as I used to take Imodium as a precaution every single morning before my work - knowing I would be okay but in my head if I had the Imodium in my system my stomach would be okay all day, the doctor was happy to prescribe this as I told them it was almost like a "compulsion" that I had to take Imodium before leaving the house or I would have an upset stomach. I do full body mental scans in my head to make sure I don't feel any slight cramps or pains in my stomach that could potentially lead to having an upset. This sounds mad as I am writing this all down but it's even worse living with it.

I am really driving myself up the wall with it, I am perfectly fine if I am in my house or in the house of people I am comfortable enough around to admit if I needed to go to the toilet. I do believe that the more I am obsessing over the fact I could POTENTIALLY have a upset and sore stomach, the more it makes me anxious, which is obviously going to lead to the inevitable.

I do think I may have some form of health anxiety, but it is all revolved around having a sore stomach, upset stomach, cramps and all the great things that follow. I just really wanted to know if there was anyone else that experiences this, or has any helpful advice on how to tackle this head on? I am 22 and I love life otherwise, but I feel like I'm wasting so much of my life worrying about my stomach every day and what could happen, even though 95% of the time it never happens.

Thanks for reading this long post, I have typed and retyped numerous things because I can't help but think it doesn't make sense when it's written down. Any help is so appreciated - thank you!

h24

h24

Hi and welcome,

No worries, it makes sense. Your symptoms are valid, IBS both can be the cause and the result of your anxiety. I belive if something causes you discomfort, then there is a problem and you should not be dismissed with just meds. Do you see a therapist for this anxiety?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Carol1952 I am so upset Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
ReverieAnxiety Really upset Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
K Upset. Need to talk about this. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 10
M New here, feeling lonely, upset, unloved, scared and generally desperate! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
S Stomach cramps with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Anxiety = stomach problems and IBS Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
D Anxiety ruining my stomach. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
CitrusBell Reconnecting to stomach ache Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
SnowBird740 Ow my stomach Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
K constant bad feeling in pit of stomach :( Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
Y Anxiety over tongue and throat sensations Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety legs Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
L Is Anxiety pain real?? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
L My anxiety/panic experience Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 23
S Meditation for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Daybreak Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
D Feeling cold because of anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
H Bedridden for over a week with severe anxiety/panic post COVID infection Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
pjb15201 Increased panic and anxiety since pandemic rules lessened ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
T Anxiety attack experiences Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Scg Anxiety physical symptoms Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 21
F Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
S Anxiety when circumstances suddenly change Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Darwin the fish Weakness in arms and anxiety attacks Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Is it possible to fix this anxiety / depression? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Tawny Helping yourself with your anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 0
MrBond007 Anxiety attacks over things that are completely normal for no reason. +Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Tremors and muscle trembling from anxiety? Sad and scared! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety Hypochondriasis and Agoraphobia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
R Crippling anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 47
R Severe anxiety triggered by my children’s health Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
R The Difficulties of Anxiety and Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
R Anxiety through the roof Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
S Differentiating Anxiety and Attention Deficit Disorder- Inattentive Type Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
Midnight.Panda Bad anxiety about everything Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
J Who to talk to about my anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
K I feel so alone with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
M Broken glass Anxiety, please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Acute anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
FloofyPuppers Pristiq for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
dogmom Anxiety is back. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T Abandonment issues/separation anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Does anyone get Physical Symptoms due to anxiety. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 41
I Healthy anxiety anybody have cherry angiomas Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Jam1990 Generalized Anxiety that leads to paranoia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
J Am I the only one on the planet or do others also experience occasional pain in heart for a second, centre of chest with ecotpics with anxiety? ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
L Please help me, I reached breaking point again. (VERY LONG TW:ANXIETY, SUICIDE, DPD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
E This anxiety right now is silly Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
G I have a cure for anxiety think I can help you IMO Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 15
G Anxiety in my chest feels like a craving Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 11