• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Upset for no reason

P

pgh1212

Founding Member
As the title suggests, I've been feeling very down lately. It started about a month and a half ago, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Let me start with a little bit about myself. I'm a 21 year old college student. I have a lot of very close friends and I'm doing well in school. I'm active on campus, and I'm in several clubs.

I have absolutely no reason to be feeling like this. No major events occurred recently in my life, and I'm very close with my friends and family.

I don't know what it is, but I've just been feeling very sad for no reason. Sometimes I just want to burst into tears for no reason. One day I woke up and I just felt like I had no significance or importance in my life. I just thought to myself "what am I doing with my life?" I'm doing well in college, and I have an internship, so it's not like I have no direction in my life. The only way I can describe the feeling is empty.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with the fact that I will be graduating from college next year. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I graduate, and I'm one of those people that likes to know exactly what they're doing with everything. My head is just filled with questions like "will I get a job," "where will I live," "am I going to know anyone there," "how will I survive this," and it's just making me very nervous.

I'm feeling alone in this world despite having all the friends I could want. I really don't know how to describe it, but I'm definitely not happy with my life right now. Before anyone asks, I have never had any suicidal thoughts.

I obviously posted here because I don't know what I should do. From what I know, it's not normal to feel sad for almost 2 months for absoultely no reason.

I posted on here before because I felt pretty crappy, but that went away and only lasted for a few weeks. I'm definitely worse off now.

Last edited:
jdoe123

jdoe123

reason

What do you wish you had in your life to fill the emptiness? Is there anything you want to be different?

P

pgh1212

Founding Member
That's the thing, I don't know what it is that I want. I just feel like there's a hole in my mind and I don't know what it is that I need to patch it. I can't even describe the feeling other than uncertainty. I just feel weird and upset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not feeling down 100% of the time, just the majority of it. When I keep busy I'm fine because I'm concentrating on something else.

I'm feeling pretty good right now though. I was hanging out with my friends all night and played some videogames. I usually will have a few hours a day where I'm content, but then out of nowhere I feel like someone just takes my happiness.

J

jamesdean

I will never forget the first time I told :)someone how unhappy I was she just couldnt believe it or undersatand it and yet I had been feeling like that for about 15 years by then and yet never told anyone before I know all thats in the past and I dont want to go that far back again but I never even took an ad until about 2005 I think it might of been people used to taught me telling I didnt need medication and I believed them so when I first got ad's prescribed I saved up 75 n took them all in one go I couldnt understand the sadness day in and night. I dont feel suicidal actually this morning but I feel empty inside, sometimes the only thing that holds my life together is music the music is such a powerfull tool, though my choices are such a wide spectrum. I thought maybe I should just join green peace and sail awy or become a friend of the earth, but I'm sure it will pass and then just go about life in my gentle way. Tommorow is always another day and we never know how we will from one day to another at christmas I believed everything was normal in my life but loosing four days isnt normal really.
I have had abirthday that I knew nothing about until I logged in this morning and seen the birthday card from mrs_p wher have I been . I know where physically but mh I've been so lost.
I hope for everyone that we find happiness all of us because to be truly happy must be so nice not to feel all this sadness must be nice.
Keep posting. Kind regards James

D

Dollit

Go and see your college counsellor or your GP and explain how you're feeling - take a print out of your post here if need be. Depression or feelings of sadness often don't have a reason, they just are. Not everybody who feels the way you do necessarily feels like that for the rest of their lives.

You say there has been no major events occurring in your life lately but there are several on the horizon - stress isn't always caused by what has happened it is also caused by what we think will happen.

Keep posting.

lostintime

lostintime

Founding Member
Hi pgh1212,

To the majority of people who see or who talk to me (the 'outward' me), in the majority of cases it would be said (and probably believed) that I am a 'happy go lucky' sort of chap, who is mostly cheerful, and who doesn't let things 'get him down'.

When I read your message, I felt that I just had to say something, for I too often feel 'very down' and mostly have no notion whatsoever why I do, although unlike myself, you have several plusses on your side, in the form of your age, your close friends and family, and your being successful - to name but a few.

As I have a 41 year start on you (I'm 62 next month), don't have any 'close' friends, but am fortunate to have both close and understanding family, and have the 'benefit' of some of life's experiences, the first thing I would suggest to anyone in your position, is to speak to, and share with, others, not only your having "been feeling very down lately", but also that you've "been feeling very sad for no reason" and that "Sometimes I just want to burst into tears for no reason".

"For no reason" is a term I fully recognise, and whilst you could and should share your feelings and tears (emotions) with 'close friends and family' (hopefully thay are the type with whom you can confide about how you feel?) I nevertheless totally agree with Dollit and the comment for you to "Go and see your college counsellor or your GP and explain how you're feeling...... Depression or feelings of sadness often don't have a reason, they just are".

Something which you mentioned, which has been my own downfall (knowing/recognising the problem is more than half-way to resolving it), is that you are "doing well in school. I'm active on campus, and I'm in several clubs", coupled with your having "a lot of very close friends", for in the past, I too have been very involved in things, belonged to this that and the other, whilst keeping down two jobs, burning the midnight candle at both ends, and gradually (without either knowing or acknowledging, it) 'damaging' my own health.

Whilst I'm not saying that by your being "active on campus, and .... in several clubs" you might have a little bit too much on your plate and need to scale back a bit, I would say that it is something which you might either contemplate, or (if you feel that it might be beneficial) actually do. If 'losing close friends' is one of your fears of what might happen should you scale back on your activities, or stop them altogether, then I would say that 'close' friends always remain that, 'close', and should you actually be able to share with them not only your post-college fears, but also your present feelings (as I would hope that you do/would do when your friends need a friendly shoulder), then you (hopefully) will gain much, both through joint friendship as well as through your feeling more hopeful both for your now, as well as for your future.

What I would add to the above, is that talking about a problem is the first step in helping to resolve one, whilst sharing a problem with others, is the second. From here on, you must talk and share what you've been brave enough to say on this forum, with your college counsellor or your GP, and if they will listen and help (as opposed to many who say to "pull yourself together" - a 'lovely" set of words which help no-one whatsoever!) you will be set on the road to what hopefully will be an enjoyable and fruitful life.

Grow Rusty

Grow Rusty

Hi pgh1212,..................
What I would add to the above, is that talking about a problem is the first step in helping to resolve one, whilst sharing a problem with others, is the second. From here on, you must talk and share what you've been brave enough to say on this forum, with your college counsellor or your GP, and if they will listen and help (as opposed to many who say to "pull yourself together" - a 'lovely" set of words which help no-one whatsoever!) you will be set on the road to what hopefully will be an enjoyable and fruitful life.
Hi

I have only recently joined this site, began to wonder why really, then I just popped back in and read this thread.

Lostintime, what a great person you must be, to have spent so much time in replying.

Thanks to you I intend staying around on this site.

And to you pgh1212, looks like you will hear a lot of good sense here.

Good luck to you, sorry, I am not one for giving advice, that's what I need myself. :unsure:

Grow Rusty

Q

quality factor

Hi there,

From reading your post it occurred to me that you may be worrying inadvertently about your future, at the moment it is all circumspect, it depends on how well you do in your finals etc. Your future is suddenly not as clear-cut and your feeling of security may be being questioned in your sub-concious.
From experience this can bring on feelings of the emptiness that you describe. You are about to leave the security of regime and go out in to the big wide world for the first time, for some this can be very daunting.
I agree with the others , you need to talk with someone you can trust and confide in the thoughts which are bothering you.
I believe that there is usually a trigger fot negative thoughts whether it be something from your past or something that you maybe anticipating.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on...Good luck!

T

tommychicago

feeling depressed un wanted emtieness lonely something is missing

As the title suggests, I've been feeling very down lately. It started about a month and a half ago, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Let me start with a little bit about myself. I'm a 21 year old college student. I have a lot of very close friends and I'm doing well in school. I'm active on campus, and I'm in several clubs.

I have absolutely no reason to be feeling like this. No major events occurred recently in my life, and I'm very close with my friends and family.

I don't know what it is, but I've just been feeling very sad for no reason. Sometimes I just want to burst into tears for no reason. One day I woke up and I just felt like I had no significance or importance in my life. I just thought to myself "what am I doing with my life?" I'm doing well in college, and I have an internship, so it's not like I have no direction in my life. The only way I can describe the feeling is empty.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with the fact that I will be graduating from college next year. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I graduate, and I'm one of those people that likes to know exactly what they're doing with everything. My head is just filled with questions like "will I get a job," "where will I live," "am I going to know anyone there," "how will I survive this," and it's just making me very nervous.

I'm feeling alone in this world despite having all the friends I could want. I really don't know how to describe it, but I'm definitely not happy with my life right now. Before anyone asks, I have never had any suicidal thoughts.

I obviously posted here because I don't know what I should do. From what I know, it's not normal to feel sad for almost 2 months for absoultely no reason.

I posted on here before because I felt pretty crappy, but that went away and only lasted for a few weeks. I'm definitely worse off now.
hi my name is tom and i know what your problem is see when God created human beings we were connected with a relationship with God but when Adam and Eve sinned against GOD there was a seperation refer to GEN 3 IN THE BIBLE now when we are born into this world we are also disconnected to GOD and HE desires a relationship with us a true one read JOHN 3;16 HE SENT HIS ONLY SON INTO THIS WORLD TO PAY A PENALTY FOR OUR SINS TO WIN US BACK AND A MAN MUST BE BORN AGAIN NOT PHSICALLY BUT SPIRITUALLY TO HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD JOHN 3;5 "I TELL YOU THE TRUTH NO ONE CAN ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD UNLESS HE IS BORN OF WATER AND SPIRIT". NOW THIS MAY NOT FEEL LIKE ITS A SPIRITUAL PROBLEM FOR YOU BUT IF EVERYTHING IS GOOD AND THERE FEELS LIKE EMPTYNESS BELIEVE ME ITS GOD YOU NEED NOT THE WORLD. TURN TO HIM HE CREATED YOU AND EVERYONE AND EVERY THING ELSE WHO ELSE COULD KNOW YOU BETTER THAN YOUR CREATOR AND HES BEEN AROUND A LOT LONGER THAN ANYONE AND WILL BE FOREVER SO HES DEFINETLY QUALIFIED PRAY THIS PRAYER AND ASK GOD INTO YOUR LIFE FROM YOUR HEART OUTLOUD IF POSSIBLE OH GOD I AM A SINNER.I AM SORRY FOR MY SIN.I NOW TURN TO JESUS FOR FORGIVENESS,AND I THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME THROUGH HIM.I RECIEVE JESUS INTO MY HEART,AND I WANT HIM TO BE THE LORD OF MY LIFE I WANT TO FOLLOW HIM IN THE FELLOWSHIP OF HIS CHURCH.TAKE CHARGE OF ME, LORD HELP ME IN MY PROBLEMS.LIFT THE BURDENS OF MY HEART.MAKE A NEW PERSON OUT OF ME IN JESUS NAME I PRAY AMEN. IF YOU HAVE PRAYED THIS PRAYER FROM YOUR HEART YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD AND YOU WILL NEVER BE LEFT ALONE
ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD SAYS IN THE BIBLE MATHEW 11;28 COME TO ME ALL YOU WHO ARE WEARY AND BURDENED AND I WILL GIVE YOU REST TAKE MY YOKE UPON YOU AND LEARN FROM ME,FOR I AM GENTLE AND HUMBLE IN HEART,AND YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS....GODS WORD ALSO SAYS IN ISAIAH 55;9 "AS THE HEAVENS ARE HIGHER THAN THE EARTH,SO ARE MY WAYS HIGHER THAN YOUR WAYS AND MY THOUGHTS THAN YOUR THOUGHTS.....ALSO TRY TO READ PSALMS 42 VERSE 5 AND 6 PSALMS 143;VERSE 10 ALSO 2 CORINTHIANS 1 VERSE 3 TO 7 READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY SEEK GOD AND ALL HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND ALL WILL BE ADDED I SUGGEST YOU START IN THE BOOK OF JOHN IT SHOWS WHAT JESUS CAME FOR AND HIS DESIRE FOR YOU GOD BLESS YOU I N JESUS NAME ALSO IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN ALREADY YOU CAN ALWAYS RECOMMIT YOUR LIFE TO CHRIST HE LOVES YOU DEARLY AND IS WAITING ON ALL OF US ALL IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE GOD BLESS!!!!