Upset by therapist

S

Sara_1978

I was having some therapy for health anxiety in febuary, I think I had about 5 sessions.
Between session 1-5 my anxiety had increased mainly due to the physical symptoms I was getting.
I was so convinced I had something medically wrong that my therapist as good as said I was passed help and the only thing she could reccomend was to get tests done to rule out an actual medical problem therefore she discharged me.
Iv had the various tests done which all came back clear and still several weeks later I’m still struggling with anxiety and the physical symptoms of it so I self referred myself for further therapy to try and tackle this now I know there’s nothing wrong.
The therapist has just phoned me to ask why iv self referred again and basically told me that I’m looking for reassurance all the time by wanting more therapy, also feeding my anxiety by being on this forum etc!
I feel very upset that I’m expected to just deal with this without talking to anyone 😢😢😢

G

gam9147

Doesn't sound like a great therapist... patience is going to be that # quality you need in a therapist for sure! Any chance of getting a different one?

no all therapists are good of course and ones that are psychiatrists are often focused too much on the drugs and not enough on helping you work on the underlying issues.

Definitely don't give up on talking to someone it is so very important!! especially if you are ready to start working on your anxiety, there are those that want to help you!

S

Sara_1978

Thank you Gam9147!
That’s exactly what I need....someone who wants to help not just criticise me.
Maybe time to look for a private therapist.

G

gam9147

Just like not all house builders build good houses, not all therapists are great at therapy! One can hope.. but sadly. Yes definitely keep searching. Finding the right therapist can be a long process but definitely important!