• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Upset about GP telephone appt and not sure if I should complain or not.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
So I had a telephone appt last week, which I thought was about the results of a test I had. The GP then started asking me very personal questions about my mental health and my other condition I have (PMS).
I felt mortified, I don't think it is appropriate over the phone unless you know it going to be about this and are okay with it.
I was in public and am sure the people around me could hear what the GP was saying and think my confidentially was compromised.
I just said I was fine to finish the conversation asap so it is an awful way to access a person mental state anyway.
Do you think I should complain? It says on the GP website to complain to the person in question, but I feel like I am wasting the GP's appt time.

F

Flameheart

when you next see your GP for any reason you could bring it up if it's still on your mind and just say if he/she wants to ask you about your issues to make an appointment or something

did your GP know you were in a public place?

although either way that would make me feel uneasy too, GPs have to ask personal questions to people every day so I think they become pretty desensitised to how awkward it can make someone feel

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Thanks for the reply BPDevil.

I didn't say I was in a public place but I think he should have heard voices around me as I could and they only give you a day they will ring up for a telephone appt not a time so i think the GP should assume you are in a public place unless they assert otherwise.

It wont see my GP for ages now and then it will be unlikely to be the same one.

F

Flameheart

yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lack of professionalism on his part with the area he works in, but I don't know these type of things

even if people overheard you they would have probably forgotten now or weren't paying attention or just didn't care, so I wouldn't overthink it

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
So sorry this happened to you, your not wasting anyone's time complaining.
Take care