• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Upping My Sertraline Dosage

F

fightingdep

I'm not that smart that's why i'm suffering a lot when solving problem lol. But thanks for the compliment:p!

Omg I do recognize some of the songs!! I listened to it when I was younger , in the radio. Didn't know it was them :LOL: The white tank tops is really iconic, and they really reproduced it in the movie. Thanks for the link!

Hope the new therapy goes well! Waiting to hear how it goes.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Fighter—

I knew you knew Queen. :)

I hope you don’t think that you’re “not that smart” all the time. I hope you’re not too hard on yourself...if so, you might suffer from automatic thoughts that are counterproductive and unnecessary and may be contributing to your depression. That book by Lawrence Wallace that I’ve been listening to, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: 7 Ways to Freedom from Anxiety, Depression & Intrusive Thoughts, addresses this. Automatic Thoughts are different from Intrusive Thoughts in that (as I paraphrase) Automatics seem to be more habitual, irrational, negatively directed toward yourself, and Intrusives are random, disturbing, frightening. There are exercises you can do to recognize Automatic Thoughts, discover what may be the root of them, and create healthier, Alternative Thoughts to combat them and train your brain to stop “going there.”

As Dory would say, “Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!” And know that you are smart and friendly and compassionate and positive.

Today was a good, positive day! Met that therapist; she seems like she’s gonna be cool and comforting and I enjoyed our time together. Hung out with a dear friend tonight for dinner and some live music; could’ve smoked weed but DIDN’T! Ha! Glad I didn’t.

Tomorrow I meet the new psychiatrist and discuss these meds. Really interested in that.

I’m going to fall asleep. Take care, Fighter! How are your 50 mg working so far?

F

fightingdep

Liza, you figured it out. It's amazing that you can tell from what I said.

I do always think i'm not that good. I always think that maybe if other person will do it it will turn out better than I did. I always blame myself for not figure it out earlier. I accidentally compare myself with others in my mind and wonder if i'm too lousy or the problem im facing is really challenging. And sometimes I hate myself being so stupid earlier. Couldn't believe why I thought it that way. I sometimes wonder if other ppl thinks the same. That im not as good as I seem. I unconsciously think that if anyone is disappointed in me. I always wonder why everybody is doing so well.
I guess this really makes the depression worse.

I'm really grateful for what you shared. About what i'm probably facing. So much new information that I think might be useful. Sounds like you are familiar to this. I will try the book when im free. Thanks for reminding about my mindset.

I like what Dory said. Just keep swimming. Before the depression got worse I sometimes remember what Dory said. Thank you for the compliment. I wanted to deny at first lol, guess I really need to read the book.

Glad to hear your day went well. Good therapist means a lot. See, I believe in you! You have a strong mind!I get my positivity from you !:peace:

Hope the following meds turn out great. Mine are good I guess. At least less crappy these days, but I don't know its the vitamin drink I had or the meds. Maybe both. Well as long as I'm feel better.

Liza9560

Liza9560

I do urge you to read the book. Get an audio version of it. It isn’t long...I finished it already. It’s very reassuring and tells you how to address those Automatic Thoughts; it gives you exercises to do. From what I’ve read and heard from a few sources, it IS possible to retrain your thoughts and get rid of those negative Automatics.

My advice would be to just focus on yourself instead of how others are doing, what they might be thinking, etc. I’ve found that almost always, when I assume someone did something for some reason, I’m wrong. They’re just living their life, and not concerning themselves with yours. I used to get jealous of other singers in town, but one day I decided, “There’s room for everybody at the top.” They can do what they do, and I’ll do what I do. They have their thing, and I have mine. And I decided to stop worrying about them, and it really lifted a weight off my shoulders.

Try to not go any further in your brain than what it takes to solve the task at hand. If there seems to be difficulty in doing so, try a different approach to figuring it out INSTEAD of automatically thinking, “Why? What’s wrong with me? Ugh!” Just redirect. Don’t “go there.” Just take a different route. Calculator brain, not self-conscious criticism. And if you’re just coming up against difficulty constantly, maybe utilize a tutor or something, but don’t blame yourself like you’re not good enough. You may just need to tackle things in different ways than you are now.

I also realize that this might be “easy for me to say.” I totally empathize with you, and I want you to feel good and productive and proud of yourself!

Met the psychiatrist today, and I liked him. He seems warm and understanding. He thinks I suffer from anxiety and depression, with a sprinkling of obsessive compulsive disorder. He suggested I up my Sertraline to 75 mg, and I’m going to trust him. I took that dose tonight. Working with him and my therapist, I hope to learn coping skills and ways to avoid situations like over committing myself, dealing with tragedies, and the like.

Whew! We are doing this thing, Fighter. We will prevail. I have faith in us and our strength. And discussing our experiences helps sooo much.

Feel good!