• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Upping My Sertraline Dosage

Liza9560

Liza9560

Hi, all—I’m interested to know what y’all have experienced in this vein:

For five years I’ve been on Sertraline, and I’ve loved it. But a lot of stuff has piled up on me over the last 6 weeks, just normal work/family/holidays stuff, but too much I think. My anxiety/panicky/depressive feelings have come back.

I upped my dosage of Sert from 25mg/day to 50, and it helped for about 2 weeks. I didn’t experience any side effects like the ones I did starting the Sert out. Yet now, 2 weeks after the increase, I’m feeling the depression and anxiety are still there; I’m weepy, preoccupied, frightened at violent intrusive thoughts. Also, I get light headed every now and then. I’m still going to give the Sertraline a chance though, and be patient. I’m going to see my therapist again, too. I still do feel better now than I did two weeks ago.

It’s scary and sad, to think that this drug that I resisted taking, and that turned out to work so well, has “stopped working.” Although, I’m choosing not to look at it that way. I hope it takes effect again soon, and I’m choosing to have faith that it will, and that this bumpy road will straighten itself out again. I’m a strong person! So are all of us.

Please let me know if any of you have had similar struggles.

F

fightingdep

Hi Liza, i saw your post and decide to join this forum today!
English is not my mother language so sorry if any sentences sounds weird.

Ive been taking Sertraline 25mg/day too for a couple of months now. Actually i had it before, in December 2017 for a few months when i first got my tinnitus(constant ringing in the ears), i guess it worked out great as I quitted it after 3 or 4 months taking it.

And last year ive had hard time at the school, and started to see the doctor again and now am having the same medicine. Ive been taking it for a month now and Im not sure if it is helping my condition as i still feel crappy these days. Like how i googled for depression forum today to cope with the feeling of not wanting to do anything. And i bumped into your post=>

I too am worrying if i have to up my dosage now. But i also fear that what if i have to rely on the meds to just live normally or upping my dosage until a point that it doesn't help anymore. Im having appointment on this Sat, and was thinking if i should up the dosage.

But few of the symptoms(shortness of breath, panic attack) i had before, haven't appeared in this two weeks, so couldn't tell if it's the meds or they will appear sooner or later.

I'm struggling on the meds too. But i want to tell you that, i read so many forums and maybe the best meds is in our mind. Maybe we need to give ourselves times to find our own way to help ourselves. I don't know how too, but trying to figure the way out now. i read about exercising, meditations, giving yourself simple task to complete and etc. Guess we have to try to find the way that suits us.

Hope this helps, wish you the best.
Losts of love.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Hi, Fighting!

Thanks for your reply. :) I must say, I feel better than I did 3 weeks ago, that’s for sure. In the last 3 days, worries and teariness have been present, but they do go away, and generally I’m ok. Here’s the thing: today I started my period, so I wonder if a little PMS hormone action has anything to do with my mood?

Honestly, I don’t mind the thought of taking Sertraline forever, I just want it to work. I don’t have side effects, and my doctors have told me that there are no long term side effects, except for building up a tolerance to it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that our best meds are in our own minds, and hearts! I’m currently looking into therapists and waiting to meet a new general practitioner. Once I get those squared away, I’ll have a team of professional help that I plan to utilize. I’ve been practicing meditation...cognitive behavioral therapy, and eating lots of fruits and veggies to clean up my body. I don’t drink, and I even gave up my beloved marijuana because it had become too weird.

Here are some relaxing, positive videos I love to watch on YouTube. Maybe you’ll like them, too!
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Where are you from? Your English is fine!

F

fightingdep

Thanks for the replying! I'm a Malaysian, currently studying in Japan. How about you?

Thank you for the youtube videos, I'll check it out during free time. Appreciated it so much!

Me too. If the meds do help I can take it forever just that the problem you mentioned ''building up a tolerance to it'' worries me. I believe upping the dosage helps but what if one day I have the maximum dosage and it wont help anymore. This thought makes me hesitate to increase the dosage.

Period, THEY ARE TRICKY. I have PMS 10 days to one week before it starts. Makes me super moody. I guess you can blame it on it now=P I always get irritated or feeling down easily before it starts. And always wonder WTH is wrong with me, I act so different from my usual self when I got pms. Pls, have a cup of hot cocoa for now :p Get all the supplies, hot water bags, chocolate, meds for cramps. They are hell but I realize sometimes I kinda thankful for it. Because when the cramps comes and all of it makes me fatigue, I care less about the problem im facing, which gives me a temporary break from life LOL. It calms my anxiety and makes me forget im depressed cause im too tired to be anxious or worry anything.

I don't drink too. Not much fan of alcohol but addicted to coffee. It's funny when I thought about marijuana. I guess they have but not so common in South East Asia. I grew up knowing that it can destroy your life and always tell myself not to even think about it. But recently, im too depressed and keep wondering what does it feel like LOL. Guess this is the call for me that Im really having depression.

It's nice to hear that you are meeting new GP and having plan after that. Hope I can feel some of your positivity. Never tried meditation or CBT before. Guess I'll start with that. Looking forward to seeing you moving forward.
:loveshower:

Liza9560

Liza9560

Yes, keep fighting and so will I! It’s morning here. Gonna try to have a great day. :) Thanks for your input!

Liza9560

Liza9560

Hi, Fighter, by the way...I’m in Texas. Just got home from work. Today has been a good day...though I’ve had a fierce headache all day!

Tonight I’m gonna go play trivia with friends. I used to do that a lot. It’ll be fun to meet some new peeps and dig thru the old brain box for answers. Tomorrow I’ll do step five in the CBT, and seek out a therapist.

Through all of this, I use my clonazepams for the really bad, shaky scary stuff, and thank goodness, I haven’t had any of those experiences in a couple of weeks.

I like talking to you! Hope your day is going well...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fightingdep

My turn morning here! it's eleven here now, just starting to do my research and all the stuff I need to do.

Googled trivia(giggles), could picture you are going to have fun! It's really important to enjoy the little things. I think I'm going to google CBT next hahaha. Glad to hear you had a good day. Hope mine will go well too.

I like talking to you too. Knowing that someone who is so far away and is going through similar things with me makes me feel not so lonely. The power of internet really amazes me every time.

Waking up in the morning today felt depressed as usual(or maybe im just plain tired, I don't know, couldn't tell lol). So tired that I even yawned in the shower a couple of times :p. Now I think I'm okay. Though I still really don't feel like doing anything but I'm pushing myself to just move my arms and body.

Today I just hope that everything is as usual as it is. At least I hope nothing bad happens.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Hope your day’s been a good one! How are you feeling?

Liza9560

Liza9560

Today is not so good. I’m very sleepy. May nap a little. It’s lunchtime here in TX.

I’m talking to a clinician to be reinstated as a client in the SIMS Foundation, an organization that aids musicians in their quest for mental wellbeing.

I took a mental health day last night and did not sing at one of my regular gigs. My pal who went to it texted that my guitar player dedicated “La Vie En Rose” to me. I broke down like Niagra Falls! I have such a great support system, and I’m a lucky gal with them. I’m so ready to be well again.

I’ll sing tonight, and I’m nervous, but I’m gonna do it. Taking time off isn’t a bad thing, but I can’t run away from tough situations. I have it inside me to get thru it! Like you said, Fighting!

I’ll report back after the gig. I’ll be good...and since I haven’t been smoking weed, my voice will be great. :coffee:

Last edited:
F

fightingdep

Me too here, It's lunch time here, though I had it a bit later than usual.

Me too. These couple of says, I was exhausted. Super tired. Two days before felt powerless. Yesterday was okay I think. But today I feel so sleepy. Don't know if it's the meds or just my depression.

WOW YOU SING!! I LOVE SINGING!! I love listening to music and singing. I haven't been doing that lately though. Didn't have the mood to do it. I used to love it, played it in the shower and sing along. Sometimes I play the guitar(with simple chords) and enjoy 'self-karaoke' :LOL: But since im getting depressed more and more lately I hardly do any of it :<

But I'd love to see your performance though! It's okay to take a rest, it's meant to be enjoyed. If you don't feel like doing it it's better to take a break.

I always love that song! I love the version of Daniela Andrade in youtube. I watched 'A Star is Born' last week and love it all over again when Ally sang. You will be great. I love singing, I can feel you will be doing great! Just do it!

Looking forward to hearing how you did !

Liza9560

Liza9560

I’m happy to report that I had a really good gig tonight. I didn’t feel nervous and my voice is really clear and I’m hitting all my notes, due to not smoking any weed for the last few weeks. Fun crowd of dancers that were smiling and fun to watch.

Just gotta power through when you’re afraid a situation will be scary...that’s anxiety though, right? Making mountains out of molehills? Anticipating the worst when there’s no real basis for the negative outlook? It’s certainly tough to not be nervous about upcoming events when you’re all out of whack and sad and panicky. But yes, gotta power through. Eat healthy meals, get good rest, drink water...and you’ll be healthy and prepared for life’s future tasks, and trust yourself and just power through.

I recently saw Bohemian Rhapsody, and I am in love with Queen now. Such a fun band! And Freddie Mercury...what an amazing performer. His stage style is like aerobic yoga...in white jeans and aviators. So unique and energetic!

Ahhhhhh. Sleep time. :sleepy2: No work tomorrow. Maybe I’ll wake up and not be blah? Goooo, us!

F

fightingdep

Glad to hear your gig turned out great! Anxiety really sucks, it takes my breath away sometimes. You did great in front of the crowds despite you got anxiety. I like the way you hold yourself up!

Havent seen that movie! Gotta watch it soon, I heard the band before but not so familiar with it. Hope I get the chances to know them through the movie.

Went the appointment last Sat, decide to up my dosage, waiting to see how it goes.

Today im still tired as hellllllllll :low: so tired so depressed, cant control the fatigue. Hope I make it through the day. Hope yours went well.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Fighter! Sorry you’re so tired. Today has been on-and-off. Wacky, then fine. I sang though, and saw an old friend, and had a blast with my band.

I had a few hits of weed on Friday at a friend’s birthday party, and it freaked me out, damn it! I know better! So, I took .25 mg of Klonopin, and while it settled me down Friday night, I’ve felt really off Saturday and today. I wonder if the half-life of the Klonopin (30-40 hrs) being in my system has something to do with it? By now, I’m much calmer as I type, and it’s been about 40 hours since I took that half a pill.

I won’t beat myself up over the weed; I just gotta be a strong girl and remember how it sucks for me now. Plus, it’s not so bad hanging out “in your own skin,” sober. There were a few times today I could’ve smoked with the band, but I didn’t. Am strong Goddess of Restraint!

I had cocoa last night before bed and thought of you! :)

I surely hope the Sertraline increase benefits you, and me! We must be patient. Remember to breathe deeply, slowly, into your stomach and lower lungs...this may pick you up as you are sleepy-foggy. Stand with your feet hips’ width apart, shoulders apart and down your back, and raise your arms to the sky on the inhale, float them down to your sides on the exhale. And maybe do some booty exercises. Lunges, squats, pliés, those will get your blood pumping!

Ermergersh you’ll loooove Bohemian Rhapsody, and you’ll totally recognize the tunes!

Gonna lie down with a book soon. It’s still Sunday night in TX! :sleep: Have a great day!! Stay strong, Fighter!

Last edited:
S

shakasama

dosage

I think I started on 100mg but have now upped that to 150mg, I don't think such low doses would help very much. Do not drink alcohol or take more than 200mg or else you will feel like the Alien is trying to burst out of your stomache.

I like to lie in dark places and immerse myself with sounds.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Yes, my 25mg Zoloft was a teeny dose, but it worked great for 5 years! I’m a teeny gal tho...maybe that has something to do with it. The 50 is working...today I’m lots better having come out of a menstrual/klonopin fog finally. I’ll talk to a doctor soon about medication management, and hopefully come through with not much added to my regimen.

F

fightingdep

Going to start 50mg today! Hope it turns out good.

Yesterday felt like crap>~<wish I could have some of the weeds :LOL: I'm definitely lack of exercise, thanks for the suggestions. Just the thought of it felt like I've already done it, in my mind lol.

You are stronger than you think! Though I don't know how the weeds affect but I believe in you. You can control it. You had it once in a while means you ARE able to control yourself. You are strong.

Hearing how close you and your band are makes me envy. Would like to know how it feels like singing in a band and having fun with them.

Hope you still doing great Liza.

Liza9560

Liza9560

I’m doing well, about to drift off to sleep. How is school going? What are you studying?

I believe in you too, Fighter! You keep on keeping on, and I can feel your positive vibes all the way from Japan. :peace: :peace: :peace: Have you ever thought about performing or being in a band yourself? Or, you could get a group of pals together to do something like bowling, or play trivia at a coffee shop or something. That really brings you together and lets everyone shine on their own as well as being a part of a great team. You feel proud of your squad and empowered by them, even if you come in in last place!

I love my band mates; they are cute, talented guys and gals who teach me a lot. Musical things, funny things, disgusting things. (Guys.) Our energies go very well together and rub off on the audience, and a great time is had by all. Hopefully. ;)

Have a great day, Fighter! I’ve felt a lot better today. Here’s to an even better tomorrow. :loveshower:

F

fightingdep

Happy to hear you were doing well. School still sucks(mainly because they way my lecturer handle the situations). I'm studying mechanical engineering(I know,:rolleyes: my head hurts too lol)

Trying my best at least not to have negative vibes.:( But the good ones will come. I have search the internet for bands and all the stuff but I couldn't find any. I don't listen much Japanese songs and they don't sing English songs:scratch: Really hard to find one. I have friends here but we all have too much things to do so we couldn't hang out that much.

I can imagine you guys have a lot of fun when together. Wish I could experience like yours for a day. I like singing so much.

Yesterday had energy drink(with vitamins but no caffein), felt a lot better today. Hope you had a nice day.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Mechanical engineering! Nice. A smart cookie. It is no doubt good for you to be working your mind in such a manner, even if it must be exhausting while dealing with stress hormones at the same time!

Check out this Queen concert. It’s their Live Aid set...brings tears to my eyes. YouTube

Meeting the new therapist tomorrow. New psychiatrist on Thursday.

Have a great day, Fighter!

Liza9560

Liza9560

By the way...a couple members of Queen are engineers, too. Smart cookies like you. I highly suggest you dance to this!!!

Last edited: