• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Update

babyblue22

babyblue22

So I saw my brother today. Was amazing he came all that way to see me but something wasn’t right.
He really wasn’t himself & I’m a bit worried about him. My BPD is hereditary from my dads side (confirmed multiple generations) I had a trigger that caused mine to emerge very young & has been downhill ever since but my brother has had a pretty easy life. However last year was horrible for him, I can see countless triggers that could of caused BPD in him to emerge as there is a 50% chance for both of us the doctors said.

Can anyone help with signs / triggers / warnings that an episode might be coming on in young men?

2Much2Feel

I'm sorry, babyblue22. I can't help w how men manifest, but do know w me I just stop sleeping, can't get out of bed, start acting more impulsively in a lot of ways (relationships, SH, making big live changes if I feel up to even doing so). Mine is usually centers around being angry, irritable and depressed when I'm really going downhill. I hadn't realised BPD is hereditary, hadn't heard that until recently. Do you think your brother is open to talking about it with you or to seeing a professional?

babyblue22

babyblue22

BPD has to have a trigger which is why people don’t think it can be hereditary. Going back 5 generations we have confirmed cases...
He’s not really open to see anyone but he is wanting to see me & my mum lots so we are trying to tag team if that makes sense?
Any other ideas? X

2Much2Feel

BPD has to have a trigger which is why people don’t think it can be hereditary. Going back 5 generations we have confirmed cases...
He’s not really open to see anyone but he is wanting to see me & my mum lots so we are trying to tag team if that makes sense?
Any other ideas? X
Well, he's really lucky to have you guys for support, that is huge. And in knowing he's not alone in feeling how he's feeling. I suspect the past year has been a trigger in so many ways for a lot of people. I really hope someone here can offer more helpful advice :)

babyblue22

babyblue22

Yeah bless him, he has been surrounded by death and is having to deal with it by himself because he feels like he isn’t the most important person in that situation. Which means he feels like he can’t talk to anyone xx

2Much2Feel

Yeah bless him, he has been surrounded by death and is having to deal with it by himself because he feels like he isn’t the most important person in that situation. Which means he feels like he can’t talk to anyone xx
And men seem to have a harder time just taking about this stuff. Yeah, it's hard to deal with even though we've been there! Really good he has you, hopefully he can start to feel like he can open up to you more. I can't imagine keeping it all in, personally:)

babyblue22

babyblue22

And men seem to have a harder time just taking about this stuff. Yeah, it's hard to deal with even though we've been there! Really good he has you, hopefully he can start to feel like he can open up to you more. I can't imagine keeping it all in, personally:)
Thank you. I’m just worried about him, want him to open up soon xx

2Much2Feel

how are things now? x
OK, I have to say, @Fairy Lucretia, that you are the perfect example of what I was just trying to explain to someone in crisis on another thread. That even though we do have MH issues and life can seem unfair compared to people who seem to have it easier than we do, we do tend to develop other positive attributes like sensitivity, empathy, etc.--I've noticed you check in on everyone and follow up, add a bit of happiness to posts here and there--you are an example of how we can develop positive traits from all of this :)

babyblue22

babyblue22

how are things now? x
I think my brother is doing ok. Have given him a bit of purpose with helping me out which he seemed to jump at. I’m in contact with him most days & he seems to have a little bit more drive in him xx

babyblue22

babyblue22

OK, I have to say, @Fairy Lucretia, that you are the perfect example of what I was just trying to explain to someone in crisis on another thread. That even though we do have MH issues and life can seem unfair compared to people who seem to have it easier than we do, we do tend to develop other positive attributes like sensitivity, empathy, etc.--I've noticed you check in on everyone and follow up, add a bit of happiness to posts here and there--you are an example of how we can develop positive traits from all of this :)
That’s a lovely way to look at things xx