Update

Lunus

Lunus

Since being diagnosed with BPD earlier this year I committed, with intent, to recover. Recovery will mean different things to different people but to me it’s having the ability to regulate your emotions such that you no longer feel that aching pain of perpetual suffering.
I am delighted to say I have reached my goal, I am no longer suffering. Sure I have days where I’m down and in pain, but I know whether it’s for an hour or a couple of days, my sad thoughts will pass and I’ll feel better again. Therefore when I feel the urge to detach, I don’t. Instead I label my emotions, I ride the wave knowing they will subside.
If I was to name three things that are critical to recovery I’d say they were being mindful (living in the present moment), radical acceptance (accepting what has happened, without judgement) and exercise.
I still need to work on self compassion, distress tolerance and interpersonal skills, but even if I were to stop my self help and therapy now I feel I could lead a happy peaceful life. So there is hope! Believe in yourself because thoughts CAN change. 😊

LizBo

LizBo

Well said and kudos @Lunus!
Self compassion? It's your brain doing what it does best, so take the load off your shoulders ok. You're at the mercy of a healing process that takes time, so no point blaming yourself. You're doing wonders my friend...
Keep up the great work! 🤜🤛

write

write

That's very fast recovery, progress. Am pleased for you Lunus. I hope that it is sustained and you can be where you want to be.
I'm obviously doing something very wrong! Been struggling for decades, multiple diagnoses, incl BPD, c PTSD, and it does feel like "recovery" becomes a myth the longer this hell goes on. It took me years to even begin to open up and trust has been damaged REPEATEDLY, I am very lost and I see no (good) end in sight.
Is good to read that some like you, can find a way forwards. Good luck x

Lunus

Lunus

That's very fast recovery, progress. Am pleased for you Lunus. I hope that it is sustained and you can be where you want to be.
I'm obviously doing something very wrong! Been struggling for decades, multiple diagnoses, incl BPD, c PTSD, and it does feel like "recovery" becomes a myth the longer this hell goes on. It took me years to even begin to open up and trust has been damaged REPEATEDLY, I am very lost and I see no (good) end in sight.
Is good to read that some like you, can find a way forwards. Good luck x
Do not lose faith. I may have recovered quickly following my diagnosis, but I too have suffered for decades after being issued the wrong medication and diagnosis. I found there were two major trigger incidents in my life that once known could be addressed. Keep trying because it’s so worth it if you do.