• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Update on Multiple Personality Disorder

K

karl7

thanks for the reply humblehubby.....i was just wondering if one of your alters commits a crime, are you held responsible for the crime or would you use the insanity defence

H

HumbleHubby

thanks for the reply humblehubby.....i was just wondering if one of your alters commits a crime, are you held responsible for the crime or would you use the insanity defence
Don't knwo that one im afraid, just hoping it does not come to that.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Been married a long time, 10 years on 28th July, together 13 years.

Dissociated for the past 2 years and diagnosed June 2019 and it's caused pretty much financial and relationship ruin BUT she is still there (God help her) to look after me, sort the finances out and most importantly she still loves me.

I honestly do not know how she does it to be honest.
So you just started disassociating 2 years ago or it's always been that way?

Just asking because DID means you would have been disassociating from very young childhood. It wouldn't be something that would just start happening this late in life. During 13 years with your wife surely she has witnessed these alters on a regular basis?

I'm glad she's still there for you and loves you.

Hugs

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Just asking because DID means you would have been disassociating from very young childhood. It wouldn't be something that would just start happening this late in life. During 13 years with your wife surely she has witnessed these alters on a regular basis?

Hugs
Too late to edit.Bugs me that the word "dissociating" always auto corrects to "disassociating" when they are 2 completely different things.

It should have said "dissociating"

Lance__

Lance__

For me, I had hallucinations i.e., voices since 12 with commandments like hurt my mothers, my two dogs, my wife, neighbours they would give me instruction on how to kill them and all sorts, pretty scary for me. I then had another alter, who is female and I have another two male alters also. In the past 2 years, I have dissociated around 5 times, some for a couple of hours to Cara (female) who took control for a month and a half and pretty much ruined me, I was in a mental hospital shortly after this.

I find that if I have a built up emotion such as stress for instance it can led to dissociation because I physically cannot take it anymore. The problem is my wife has to deal with it and pick up the pieces.

My alters are very extreme sides, I have the raging bull Ben, the femm Cara, the runaway Stephen and the self depreciating Arthur. Cara nearly went to Thailand to cut off my balls while Ben luckily has not been in control otherwise there would be a murder most probably.

I have to have strong coping techniques to essentially stop the dissociation from happening.
Reading all of this, which seem really stressful and fearful, I wonder if you have moments when you experience real peace inside, feeling that you can let yourself relax, at least for some minutes, without worrying if any alter will front and mess things. I really do hope you can have those moments 🌸 :hug:

H

HumbleHubby

Hugs
Hi SunnyDaze,

I don't think you can pigeon hole all people as not having DID if they did not dissociate at a young age. There is spectrums like every other disorder or illness.

H

HumbleHubby

Reading all of this, which seem really stressful and fearful, I wonder if you have moments when you experience real peace inside, feeling that you can let yourself relax, at least for some minutes, without worrying if any alter will front and mess things. I really do hope you can have those moments 🌸 :hug:
Thanks Lance, at the moment the quiest moments I get are going to the countryside with my dog, thats probably my biggest winner.

Lance__

Lance__

Thanks Lance, at the moment the quiest moments I get are going to the countryside with my dog, thats probably my biggest winner.
That's good to hear that 👍 animals and nature are amazing calming the soul

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi SunnyDaze,

I don't think you can pigeon hole all people as not having DID if they did not dissociate at a young age. There is spectrums like every other disorder or illness.
I wasn't trying to pigeon hole all people,I'm sorry if you thought that was what I was doing.

Yes,dissociation is on a spectrum,ranging from every day normal that everyone does,all the way to the other end,which is DID.

The only reason I said what I did is because DID only develops in very young childhood. It's not something that develops or begins in adulthood. I wasn't sure if you've always had alters/DID (and aware of it)or had alters and just wasn't aware you did until your diagnosis.

I was curious,not doubting you,just trying to understand.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I was curious,not doubting you,just trying to understand.
You're correct it is developed in childhood.
I'm not an expert on dissociative disorders, my understanding comes from DID systems I'm acquainted with and from reading about it. I'll share what I understand and I apologize for anything I omit or get wrong.

One lesser known fascinating aspect of DID is how its presentation can be, and often is, covert. Passive influence of alters is far more common (I believe) than the dramatic changes in personality resulting from a full switch. Passive influence is worth having a read into, it's an umbrella term for lots of dissociative experiences that don't result in an alter

DID can remain undetected even for decades or manifest outwardly as a mood disorder or BPD to the eyes of close relatives or psychiatric professionals. There can be long periods where symptoms aren't obvious. The amnesia interferes with self-reporting as does each alter desiring to protect both itself and the system from discovery (the purpose of the system is to protect).

The reasons full dissociation presents at any given time is kinda dependent on the person and the trauma and bunch of factors both internal and external.
Hoping this answers some of your questions.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Thanks @Bizzarebitrary

I was asking personal questions to HumbleHubby though rather than about dissociation or DID itself. I was trying to understand his own circumstances so I could maybe offer suggestions.

Having reached full integration myself I do know a bit about it. I'm not an expert of course but I have first hand experience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 1