• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Unwanted thoughts

M

Michelle90

I love my family with all my heart and I would die if anything ever happened to my little boy but occasionally I can be doing something random and the phrase"I wish they would die " comes into my head. I then say to myself you do not mean that as if there is another person saying this awful thing . I then feel so guilty and want to cry because I think if only they knew what I had just said in my head. Can anyone explain what this is and why such a horrible thought crosses my mind especially when the thought of losing anyone in my family terrifies me

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

Okay hunny, this is good old fashioned intrusive thoughts. The GOOD thing is that they are completely harmless, EVERYONE has them, okay?

There is loads of good stuff out there about it but it is NOTHING to worry about, okay?

As with most things in life, Mindfulness is the answer! Hehe
Davey x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Davey is right, they are intrusive thoughts and a lot of people have them.
I understand how completely distressing they are, because I get them myself from time to time.
Unfortunately there's no real way to stop them. You can do your best to adjust your thought pattern when they come up, so that you are self-forgiving and know that it's no reflection on who you are as a person.
Are you generally quite stressed out and anxious? Taking steps to be more relaxed overall might help them not crop up in the first place.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

An old therapist I had admitted that he was once stopped at a zebra crossing with a load of children crossing and it popped into his mind to put his foot down and mow them all down!

We ALL have these silly thoughts, if you study mindfulness you learn that your mind has a life of it's own! These thoughts mean NOTHING, they do not predict the future, they mean nothing whatsoever! Truly.

Just observe them come into your mind, do not interact with them and watch them disappear again! They mean nothing :)

K

Kezbian3

I completely agree with Davey blueeyes and somersetscorpio. Everyone has these intrusive thoughts and its all about trying to diminish these.
Ive read up a bit about them as I get them and they make me want to band my head against a wall to knock them all out but the worse you react to them the worse they get.
It's better if they pass and when they get you down just remind yourself that you are not wishing that really as otherwise why would you get upset about them dying if you wanted some thing like that to happen.

I wish you the best, I'm sorry you are experiencing this.