• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Unsure

KyussEatsTheSun

KyussEatsTheSun

It's been a wild ride in my head guys. I quit a good paying job after 4 days about a month ago. This unemployment is killing my psyche; I feel like a barnacle on a ship 🚢. My girlfriend puts zero pressure on me to get a job but when I see her I'm constantly reminded of my unemployment and I feel guilty. Societal pressure to always be employed agrivates this stress too. I just don't think it's healthy to work 40 hours a week doing something you dislike for money. I wish I could have the willpower to turn my hobbies into the job of my dreams but my fear is crippling.

I have a theory that I'm suffering from some amount of PTSD from past jobs. I have worked with people and situations that have exacerbated my anxiety for years and years. Now I'm at the point where if I look for a job on the internet I get scary flashbacks of being mistreated and not speaking up for myself. I become engulfed in fear of being unable to take proper criticism or feeling stupid constantly at a new job. Feeling stupid is one of my default thoughts when I make a mistake.

I meditate on average 45 minutes a day. I picked up yoga again. I journal regularly. I clean random parts of the house to get my mind off things. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I barely watch tv. My diet isn't the worst either... I drink lots of water and eat good stuff like kimchi and a moderate amount of veggies and meats. I watch my sugars decently, except I love occasional ice cream at night. I have no bad addictions. I force myself to stay "rooted" in reality and keep myself from escaping into fantasy in hopes that my mind will aclimate to it but I wonder if that is a foolish strategy? Instead of TV I meditate. Instead of drinking alcohol I drink water or tea. Instead of eating sugar I eat fermented foods. I take my vitamins and Tinctures every day. My yoga is back too!

Why do I suffer this much I ponder? I used to play video games to escape but I stopped doing that a long time ago. Reading books gives me anxiety. I put unrealistic expectations on myself. I'm very slow at solving even the simplest of problems. But still, why do I suffer as much as I do? I'm doing so many healthy things at the same time. I've been alive for nearly 30 years I don't expect myself to figure it all out by now but I feel extremely far behind. I just want to give it all up and live in a tent behind a walmart sometimes.

My life is beautiful on the outside, it really is. I see it when I practice being grateful and visualizing my life on the outside. However, inside is hot mess. It's a very sad mess and has been since childhood. I have a psychologist on my side and I started Emotional Freedom Therapy too. And yet, I suffer needlessly. I don't want to sleep at night because I wake up with no reason to live other than for the sake of it. I feel like a parasite. I walked out on the porch today and wondered "what can I do for the community? How can I help people?" But it's shut down because I quickly realize I can't even take care of my own happiness.

There's a power inside me somewhere but it's as elusive as finding a needle in the universe. If there is a God somewhere please help me.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I could have written that! Although i am not as healthy and don't have a partner to support me.

I hope she loves her job and earns a good wage, and you support her in many other ways! It is good to hear you keep the place clean at least.

I don't have an answer to this way of being we share. It is both a gift and a curse, i personally believe.

You are doing your small bit i am sure. Keep walking forwards and looking around you. I am sure you have made many positive contributions to the world in your almost 30 years and i am sure there are other things in store for you.