• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Unnerved Today (Manic Symptoms)

portree

portree

I've just joined this forum after googling for forums on bipolar disorder.

I'm not sure how active the forum is but I need somewhere to express the anxiety that I'm feeling. After years of being pretty stable I've noticed symptoms that I've entered a manic episode. I'm finding it hard accept. I haven't slept much for the last two nights. A few factors seem to have combined to trigger this episode. I ran out of my medication (Valproate) on the weekend. Then I worked two very long days to start the week. On Tuesday morning, having not got to sleep until about 1 am the previous night, I woke at 6 am with a hypo (low blood sugar - I also have insulin dependent diabetes). After Tuesday's long work day I got a couple of hours sleep before waking at about 3 am and feeling restless for the rest of the night.

That brings me today. About the only thing I have achieved is getting to the pharmacist to replenish my supply of medication. Hopefully that will help me settle back into a more normal state. Meanwhile, I'm finding it very difficult to focus my thoughts on something for any significant length of time. I haven't got close to doing any work.

That's about as much as I can focus on writing now. It's 2:30 in the afternoon. I'm just trying to get through the rest of the day. I'm starting to feel very tired but can't afford to crash until after supper because of my dependence on insulin injections.

:scared:

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Hi Portree and :welcome:

This site's pretty active, and it's a great place for support if you take a look around - not mention the members are all lovely people :).

Do you have a Psychiatrist/psychologist/nurse/keyworker you can talk to regarding your concerns? Sorry, I noticed you were from Australia and I'm not sure how the health system out there works.
The manic symptoms could be down to you missing your meds because you ran out, like you said you could start stabilising once they're back in your system, if not speak to someone you trust and who can support you.

I hope you're feeling better today and haven't had another hypo :hug:

I'm sorry my reply is pretty vague, but someone should be along who knows a little more! :)

:flowers:

portree

portree

A Good Sleep

Thankfully a had a long, deep sleep last night. So I'm hoping that I'll be better able to concentrate today. I also deliberately pruned my "to do" list towards the end of yesterday. I've found in the past that having too many things on my plate leads to an overactive mind, which leads to lack of sleep, which leads to problems!

Thanks for the support in this forum.

D

Dollit

I have an Advance Care Directive which gives instructions to my GP, Consultant, next of kin and myself on what to do when I get into a crisis of one kind or another. This includes how to cope with onset of mania and depression and a list of things to do. I find it helpful because my mind goes a complete blank and if my next of kin has to speak to either of the two doctors they all know exactly what they're talking about. It really helps because when it comes down to bipolar everybody is different.

jax

jax

Hi again,
My highs and lows are pretty much here all the time. I don't be stable for more than a few weeks. I've had a lot going on in my personal life, including the loss of the little dog in my avatar. I've been extremely stressed and often I respond to stress with severe mood swings. I've had to attend day hospital daily this week as my nurse wanted to see me each day as she (and many others too) said I am extremely high.

A friend who I was with tonight said that I didn't shut up and that there was a lot of pressure in my speech. She said she hasn't seen me so high in a long time. My Pdoc have been on holiday since the beginning of the month until 23rd. I see her 24th and hope she can help me out.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better. A good night's sleep often helps a lot. Take care. Jacqui

portree

portree

Thanks for your good wishes. I had another good sleep last night and some exercise today but I don't feel that I'm out of the woods yet. One of my challenges is to allow myself to take it easy. There are always things I feel that I should be doing when often I really should be letting my mind relax.

Sad to hear about your dog. That must have been devastating. We've only had a dog for a few years and it's now hard to imagine life without him.

I hope things take a turn for the better in your life soon, Jacqui. Take care.

jax

jax

Thanks portree. I took an extra 300 of seroquel last night to get me over to sleep as having great difficulty sleeping. Even with this it took me till after 3 am to fall asleep. However - today I feel dulled and almost low. Guess the extra medicine is bringing down my mood? - who knows - LOL.
Take care.
Jacqui

portree

portree

I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

I was out in the fresh air and in the rain for most of today with the result that I had a good snooze on the couch this evening. I don't think I'm out of the woods as far as manic symptoms go but whenever I have a good sleep it certainly helps.

Speaking of which, it's 11:30 pm here so it's time I started getting ready for bed.