unknown nature on Negative symptoms, Provocative test with psychostimulant drugs

D

djtim

unknown nature on Negative symptoms, Provocative test with psychostimulant drugs

Hello.

I have Negative symptoms (NS) of unknown nature. My doc says it is either depression or schizophrenia (as I understand he means Simple type of Schizo) - 50\50.

My current treatment - aripiprazole 2.5mg (yes, I know it is micro dosage but higher doses give me a lot of sedation with no improvement in negative symptoms). My past treatment - SSRIs. Sertraline was the best one for me but finally I started to feel apathy. Also I tried fluanxole (no effect) and sulpiride 50-100 (sometimes I had good effect but finally it went off).

So I have read about stimulant test for such cases. It is when a patient takes single dose of stimulant. If one has depression then there will be activation, clear mind and returning to life. In case of Schizo there will be agitation and excessive excitement only, without mind clearness.

It is off-label use but some people find it helpful in similar cases.

What do you think?

D

djtim

I have no psychosis but I have continuous pure Negative Symptoms. So I would like to find out nature of them

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have no psychosis but I have continuous pure Negative Symptoms. So I would like to find out nature of them
'Living with Schizophrenia' by John Watkins - An Holistic Approach to understanding, preventing & recovering from negative symptoms - is a very good book, as are others by the same author.

Kerome

Kerome

A stimulant test sounds useful in such a case as yours, if only to clarify the diagnosis between sz and something like plain depression.

D

djtim

Hi. Could you explain mechanism of this test?
My doc says the test has no evidence strength.