• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

University

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Hi all,

I just started uni..and all my old depressive symptoms are coming back. I don't know what to do..whether to stick with it when the idea of going back makes me anxious etc..or to try and work out something else. I feel really out of place, and tbh I only just got comfy in school! Let alone uni.. Also..most of my friends have gone to the same uni..so it feels quite lonely.

Also...this seems to happen at the BEGINNING of any school year...i.e. September when the weathers worse and the days are getting shorter. Do you think this could be linked in any way?

It's stupid, cos when I'm with people I'm OK...ish. But as soon as I'm alone, I hate it there. I'm not too fond of my course cos it doesn't really suit me..it's starting a bit basic for the stuff I've done before..so I'm just bored all the time. They did say it would pick up...but I can't see it happening any time soon!

Also - my mum won't want me to quit..so she'll just tell me to go back (or convince me and when I get back I'll feel like this again!)

Help?!

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi hun, sorry to hear you're feeling low. I was just the same when I started uni (although I was 41 at the time :scared: ). I think adapting to change has a lot to do with it. And yes, I found that the early bit of uni seems very pedestrian after A levels and all that. It does get better.

You're probably not alone in feeling like this either - I wouldn't be at all surprised if lots of people on your course are feeling alone and anxious. If you feel up to it, try and make friends with some of them, join some sort of group there.

Hang in there, don't give up, and keep posting if it helps. :)

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
I feel that way about my course cos they decided to put me in the beginners group..so I'm literally going over the basics. It's driving me mad..

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Can I ask, what are you studying?

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Languages.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Ah cool. I saw from your profile that you're interested in music and wondered if you were a fellow musician. Do you play an instrument or sing at all? If so, maybe try joining the uni orchestra/band/choir?

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
I used to play the Keyboard and B flat Cornet, but I gave up, I didn't ever have the concentration to practise :S Annd..I sing on sing star when I've had a few..does that count? :p

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Haha well that's it then, have a singstar party!! Really, I think anything that gets you together with other people will help, especially if you're living away from home (which I wasn't, had a hubby & 2 kids to look after).

If you're any sort of standard on the cornet (like about grade 3 up), I bet there's a brass band near where you are too.

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Haa..I don't have sing star myself..I steal my friends from home! I did grade 3 on the cornet..they wanted me to do 5..but I didn't want the stress. I might look into that...except I wouldn't like to disturb my house mates with practise (even though it is apparently OK for them to come in drunk at 5 and wake everyone up..but I can't do anything before midday)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Ah practice schmactice! I've been banding for 30 years and never really bothered with practice - you never know I might even be quite good if I did! Just go along, start out on the back row in a fairly low key band, not like the major contesting ones :eek: and take it from there.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and I hope things improve really soon. :)

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Most people find university life difficult to settle into at the beginning it is a major change in your life and you are told you are supposed to be having a great time! Once you settle into the new routine get to know a few people and maybe even join a couple of clubs you will find it gets much easier.

Subjects are taught on the presumption that you have no previous experience of the subject you are studying to make it fair to those that haven't. Do not make the mistake of being to complacent about things as you will find it doesn't harm to go over old ground. No-one knows everything if you did you wouldn't be there. Go to lectures with an open mind and help those out in seminars that may not be as competent as you. You will be amazed at what you will learn from fellow peers.

Two weeks is far too soon to decide to throw in the towel. A lot of people find this time of year difficult as we get into the dark afternoons/early evenings. Universities usually have counsellors and most of them are very seasoned people with an awful lot of experience it may be time for you to introduce yourself to them?

Good luck with the course it will get better.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Student services in uni usually have some really good people around that can help people who have MH difficulties.

Maybe worth giving them a ring and getting a little support. I ve just started at uni (Post grad course ) and I have been put in contact with them.

Intel
x

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
I just got back after a weekend away, and I feel much more positive about it all now! I'm going to register with a doctor here tho, just in case! I think I just needed to see my friends and family, because I was travelling all summer and I think I'd just been away too long.

My mum keeps telling me to use my beginners classes as revision..I'm just bored! If I'd done one more year in school (which was impossible unfortunately) I would be in advanced...I think that's just winding me up!

I'm DEFINATELY not gonna quit now...I want a degree cos I don't want to struggle financially as much as my parents (both of which never had the opportunity to go). Also...I love teaching and I can't do that as a career without a degree!

i'm looking for a job atm, which will make things better money wise and mean I have less time on my hands to think about rubbish which makes me feel like rubbish!! I just need to be busy :)

Thanks for the support!

:grouphug:

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

So glad you're feeling better, take care and we're here to listen if you need a chat again.