universal credit

T

Tabby 88

I heard that if i lost esa support group, even though i have pip, i would have to claim universal credit to get housing benefit. I am worried about the details and haven't the energy to search for information. Will i be ok if i lose esa but want to live off my pip for a while? will they still pay my rent?

W

*winofunk*

I heard that if i lost esa support group, even though i have pip, i would have to claim universal credit to get housing benefit. I am worried about the details and haven't the energy to search for information. Will i be ok if i lose esa but want to live off my pip for a while? will they still pay my rent?
Hello Tabby. Had seen your post yesterday but was in no position to reply. Have noticed that no-one else has yet, so will do my best. My head is f*cked though. So I hope I make some sense.

From what I have read, help with rent is going to be part of the Universal Credit payment.

To be eligible for UC, a claimant must first agree a claimant commitment with the DWP - this will outline if the claimant will be required to be available for work, what they will do to find work, the number of hours they are available to work, and any work-related activity they should participate in.

Certain groups of people are not required to do any work-related activity:

- someone who is caring for a severely disabled person

- someone who has limited capability for work-related activity (in the support group)

- someone who is heavily pregnant or very recently given birth

- someone who is the lone parent of, or a person who is the responsible carer of, a child under 1.

- someone who is the responsible carer of a child they have adopted in the last year

- someone who earns above a certain amount (called 'the earnings threshold')

- someone who is over the age for claiming Pension Credit.

- a student getting a loan or certain grants

- a young person who is in non-advanced education who is without parental support

- someone who has recently experienced domestic violence.

Unless a claimant is in one of the above groups, they will be expected to participate in work-focussed interviews or work-related activity to be eligible for UC.

W

*winofunk*

If you are in the work-related activity group (WRAG)then you are expected to prepare for work - this does not involve looking for work or applying for jobs. This might involve attending a training course or work experience. I have read of numerous complaints about preparing for work as there is nothing in the legislation giving any details on it.

If it is decided that you do not have limited capability for work or limited capability for work-related activity or fall into one of the categories above, and not in work, then normally a claimant would be expected to undertake all work-related requirements and be available for work. Being available for work means being available for any job working up to 35 hours per week, within 90 minutes travel time (each way) of your home.

However, if a claimant has a disability or health condition, they may be able to restrict their availability for work. For example, restrict the number of hours they can be available for work, or the ttpes of job they can do.

If you do not agree to the claimant commitment then you are not eligible for UC, and I do not think you can receive any help with rent, since this is paid in UC.

It is important to note, though, that UC does not assist with housing costs for temporary, emergency, supported or sheltered housing. Help paying for these is still administered by the council and Housing Benefit. If you think you fall into one of these groups then you could check with your landlord to see if your accommodation is exempt from the housing costs of UC and will be covered by HB instead. If so, you might still be entitled to HB on the basis of a 'nil income'....PIP is ignored as income.

T

Tabby 88

Thank you, that sounds reasonable. I like that as i have a diagnosis, if found fit for work, i might not have to work 35 hours in a demanding job. It is a shame i would have to be on UC though, as i would live on PIP only, but need HB. Very devious aren't they.

I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for taking the time.