Universal credit

Funnyday

Funnyday

If you have been transferred from ESA onto Universal Credit. Are you better, the same or worse off?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
heard it's happening in brent in oct, i don't know if it's the start of the rollout or the end, rumours 1, any savings will be taxed at 4 pound instead of 1 pound a week for every 250 and i've been maintaining a float in case of trouble, 2 the disability premium on top of esa is going to disapear, a court found it illegal the dwp said they'd think about the court decision, 3 council tax won't be paid, at the moment you get council tax benefit to cover the council tax

telling myself what the point worrying and that if people have to go into hospital costing them more they'll rethink any problems

i remember the start of care in the community in the 70s with all the optimism, there was no talk about this

Funnyday

Funnyday

heard it's happening in brent in oct, i don't know if it's the start of the rollout or the end, rumours 1, any savings will be taxed at 4 pound instead of 1 pound a week for every 250 and i've been maintaining a float in case of trouble, 2 the disability premium on top of esa is going to disapear, a court found it illegal the dwp said they'd think about the court decision, 3 council tax won't be paid, at the moment you get council tax benefit to cover the council tax

telling myself what the point worrying and that if people have to go into hospital costing them more they'll rethink any problems

i remember the start of care in the community in the 70s with all the optimism, there was no talk about this
Where did you get that council tax wont be paid?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Where did you get that council tax wont be paid?
some labour guy well he's ex labour now been chucked out for belonging to an organisation whose values are incompatable with labour party memborship, guess he would say that

Funnyday

Funnyday

Is there not one person who can answer this question?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I think it's the same? I was on ESA and then put into Universal Credit. Basically ESA and JSA and other selected benefits all come under universal credit.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

I think it's the same? I was on ESA and then put into Universal Credit. Basically ESA and JSA and other selected benefits all come under universal credit.
So when your transferred from ESA to Universal Credit is that automatic or do you have to apply and go through another dreaded assessment?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you weren't receiving pip as someone with disability problems, theres extra esa for them which is lost when you transfer to universal credit, there was a court case that the dwp said they'd think about

Funnyday

Funnyday

Also, there is free dental care to think about. As well as optician charges which are also free when on ESA. How are they going to make sure that we still get these services free? They can't just give it to everyone on Universal credit. So how is the qualifying criteria going to be decided on? Thoughts?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my dentist said i needed 6 monthly check ups i haven't heard for 2yrs, i think it's the cuts, maybe i should insist and make an appt, optician always seems to be able to get 100 out of me for supposedly free glasses sometimes tells me it's only the lenses other times the frames, i've asked now for a copy of the prescription, may try for a pair on line, though again the optician sayd they may not fit

and even if theres no official benefit cut inflation was up this month, if it continues benefits aren't been increased, got a letter from virgin my monthly bill is going up only months after i threatened to leave them if it wasn't reduced, then theres fuel then food

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

So when your transferred from ESA to Universal Credit is that automatic or do you have to apply and go through another dreaded assessment?
I seem to remember that it was automatic and that you should get a letter about it. Hopefully there is no assessment.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I seem to remember that it was automatic and that you should get a letter about it. Hopefully there is no assessment.

j heard theres an on line application someone has to fill out, it may be autonatic for some, i hear mental health workers on the rare times i have contact saying theres nothing to worry about, there probably isn't for their people with all the proffessionals milling around them, i worry about any future asssessment and the requirement for evidence in triplicate

N

nightmare57

I'm hoping because I have a corporate appointee and basically lack capacity to manage my money I don't have to sign commitments or go to the job centre. I'm not worried about the changeover though. I'm lucky that I have a big support network from services and I pissed it in my last ESA assessment. This time the questioner will be sent to my supported living manger and not filled in by the appointee so I probably won't get called to another medical. The ESA guy said last time if he got all the information I wouldn't of been called to that medical and I was in and out in 10 minutes and he said my money will remain the same, support group. So I'm not worried,

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the poster who said the transfer is automatic is probably living at home with carers i notice they didn't mention the change in rent been paid to the person instead of the landlord, maybe living with carers and not paying rent

i don't know as a fact i think the un said it's those living in what used to be called independent living that have been hit by this goverment

Last edited:
Funnyday

Funnyday

I'm staggered that there isn't one person who has been moved over to UC from ESA on this forum.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm staggered that there isn't one person who has been moved over to UC from ESA on this forum.
heard they''re doing the simple cases first those on job seekers alllowance who are single