• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Uniqueness and analysis

G

Golden

I am no good with debates and disagreements and I'm easily hurt when people start doing that, but I'm in a place where I am starting to see me as aunique person with unique problems. I have been writing a story about my life and decided I didn't want to mention diagnosis. I don't want to say I'm depressed but rather I'm very sad or use other words to be more specific.

I also had been thinking about what I have been doing to navigate periods of too much energy. I'm finding this currently important as I am having to prove my inability to work. It has made me think in more detail about my specific problems and what help I need.

I'm on medication but still not working and I know why. Just so you know, I go in and out of panic and despair only to reach moments of clarity like now. It's a rollercoaster but it is my life so I'm trying to go with it.

I'd like to hear about your thoughts and experiences too.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
For your own sanity I think it's best to avoid the trappings of psychiatric language. When "mental patients" adopt psychiatric language it all becomes a little bit institutionalised and I don't think it is very helpful to anyone to use language which purports to understand and at the same time is part of a system which aggresses against alternative ways of understanding.

Once we are "in the system" there are often times that using the language of psychiatry is virtually unavoidable, or not wise to avoid. That is a fault of wider systems of power and control, not a personal failing.

Anyway, reclaiming our identities begins by reclaiming our own language. This is true of all struggling peoples subject to all manner of oppression. Language is power and the power to tell your own story in your own terms can be very liberating.

Also, as you say, using words like "sadness", "despair" and "energy" liberates you into describing and exploring your own experiences outside of the fairy tales of psychiatric orthodoxy...

not that I am against fairy tales as such... just that we need to find our own myths and fables, not have them forced and insisted upon us...

So in exploring our personal stories using our own language, we go into a creative inner place, that opens up, brings insights and breakthroughs, as connections are made, memories resurface, and the joy of becoming is rediscovered... :)

G

Golden

Becoming. Rogers. I loved that book. It is my story and it is unravelling. I've been doing it on my own mostly. Keeping my own counsel. The problem is working alongside this. I'm sure some can do this but I can't seem to. I'm so self-absorbed it's tragic.