• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Unique OCD fear

35cents

I am a recovering mild OCD sufferer, and for the last 3-4 years my issues have been pretty much in check... until recently.

I had somewhere received information about detrimental effects of secondary and incidental chemotherapy drug exposure, which I must have filed in the back of my mind. Recently I was on a business trip where a young lady asked me to help her lift a bag into the overhead, which I was glad to do. She then told me her chemo treatments had made her weak and she couldn’t lift it. I proceeded to my seat and soon washed my hands in the lavatory, fearing I may have picked up some of the drug on the handle of the suitcase. Then some anxiety started setting in, and I washed them in the other lavatory. While in there, I worried that maybe the lady had vomited in the sink since I saw tiny piece of who knows what in the sink, and then worried that I have made exposure worse by using this sink. Wow what a vicious cycle after having done so well for a few years.

I guess I’ll overdome as I did before, it’s just aggravating to have a setback like this.

35cents

Just as a follow up, I’ve had previous intense fears and what I believe is OCD rituals of radiation, asbestos and lead paint. I’m always afraid I’ll be exposed or my family members will be exposed because of my actions. I’ve had some limited therapy but have never been formally diagnosed, am I correct in thinking I am suffering from OCD?

H

herbcookie

I'm sorry to hear your OCD is in remission, it's just something that happens I'm afraid. Those fears sound like contamination fears, it's actually the most common subtype of OCD. and I'm getting a sense of emetophobia, fear of people vomiting. If you're not in therapy at the moment you should go back, common therapies for OCD are CBT and ERP. You might be able to find resources for these online, just search for free online CBT/ERP :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m sorry to hear your suffering but you can get help. The fear of contamination is one of the most common. I had one of touching toilet handles and would cover them in tissue then scrub my hands then wash the tap then wash my hands again because the tap had dirtied them again. But with CBT it gave me help. I’m not completely over it but it doesn’t rule my day anymore. I only wish i could stop the counting habit I have.